Locked My Not-So Intelligent Key in the Armada - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By gt601

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

Locked My Not-So Intelligent Key in the Armada

Yeah, I'm not so intelligent too!!!

2011 Armada Platinum, 76k Miles.

I've had this vehicle about 1 year and am the 3rd owner. Soon after buying the intelligent key would quit working. Won't allow me to unlock the door with the push button on the door handle and I started getting the "No Key" message on the dash when trying to start. I put new batteries in the Not-So Intelligent Key and that seemed to help for a little while. When I have problems I will remove the battery from the Not-So Intelligent Key and reinsert it and this seems to help for awhile. Then back again.

Well, this morning same thing. Couldn't unlock the door with the door handle button and I had to press the unlock button on the Not-So Intelligent Key several times before it would unlock. Once in the Armada I would get the "No Key" message when trying to start. After multiple tries it finally starts. I dump the Not-So Intelligent Key in the bowels of the console cup-holder (not so intelligent of me) and motor on. Stop to get gas but I leave the door open while fueling. Stop to pick up some motor oil at my local WallyWorld and I lock the Armada as I'm sliding out of the seat. Since the Armada can't find the Not-So Intelligent Key, it doesn't know the key is in the vehicle and it locks. Typically if the Not-So Intelligent Key is working correctly the Armada knows it is inside the vehicle and automatically unlocks the door. Luckily my wife can stop by and bring my spare Not-So Intelligent Key, that also has a new battery, which also has to be pressed multiple times before the door will open. A little later down the road I stop at NAPA to pick up an oil filter and it works as it should.

The Not-So Intelligent Keys have new batteries. I've actually replaced the new batteries with new batteries, so I know the batteries aren't weak.

What could this problem be? What receives the signal from the Not-So Intelligent Key and actuates the door/ignition etc. to operate? Is there any troubleshooting and/or diagnostics I can perform to solve this. Understand that I am electrically stooooopid so if I need to do a bunch of electrical diagnosis then I'm hosed.

I anxiously await your replies.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 08:07 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)

So you say that you've replaced the batteries (twice). What kind of batteries did you use? Did you use fresh namebrand batteries, or something you got off of eBay or Amazon? Reason I ask is that I got a bunch of no-name button batteries with something electronic that I ordered (can't remember what it was), and they were the same size and number as the batteries in my keyfob. They sucked; range was terrible, they didn't last. Replace the battery with a Duracell that I bought at Walmart or Target, and everything worked great. Just a thought.......

- 12 Armada Platinum 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 18 Tesla Model 3, Long Range RWD
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans (kids car)
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 71,000 miles (play car)
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfamily View Post
So you say that you've replaced the batteries (twice). What kind of batteries did you use? Did you use fresh namebrand batteries, or something you got off of eBay or Amazon? Reason I ask is that I got a bunch of no-name button batteries with something electronic that I ordered (can't remember what it was), and they were the same size and number as the batteries in my keyfob. They sucked; range was terrible, they didn't last. Replace the battery with a Duracell that I bought at Walmart or Target, and everything worked great. Just a thought.......
Ray-O-Vac and Energizer. I'm fairly sure that the battery in the Not-So-Intelligent-Key fob is not the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 12:34 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Garage
You might try cleaning the battery contacts in the remote. One of my remotes was acting wonky, I cleaned the contacts two years ago and has worked fine ever since.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
marctronixx likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Enthusiast

This problem appears about every 2-4 weeks. What I do to resolve it is open up the key fob, remove the (new) battery, replace the (same new) battery, close it up then it works fine for 2-4 weeks, until it doesn't. Then I go through the process again. I'm sure the contacts are making contact so any other thoughts?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Bumpity bump bump bump!!!

C'mon folks give me some ideas. This is frustrating.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 01:55 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

i have an 08 and i do noticed i had to change the batteries on my key fob a lot. but not as much as what you're doing crazy4trains.

-2008 LE w Tow Package
-4 piece Billet Grill
-Bug Deflector guard
-Sunroof wind deflector
-HID 6k lows (fogs soon)
-Air Box Mod with K&N Filter (thanks to this forum I was able to do it myself)
-screw on exhaust tip
-15% tint front windows

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode