Intelligent Key Request switch - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Intelligent Key Request switch

2014 Platinum Reserve
We're having issues with our door handle button. I've seen a couple of posts about the door handle button not being responsive on the ones with the door handles that the color matches the car. I'm wondering if any of you have found a fix for this? My intelligent key has to be REALLY close to the door in order for it to work, it's not the batteries OR the fob itself. We have 1 old fob and 1 new and neither are very responsive. I keep seeing that this is an issue with the colored door handles rather than the chrome.

The other issue were having is that when we press the door handle button there isn't any sound. Typically theres a small beep or tone? We get nothing. I'm not talking about the horn honking, just the little beep/tone. Please tell me one of you have a fix!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 08:20 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)

cell phones and devices that radiate electromagnetic energy can decrease the range of the IK (intelligent Key). your body can absorb a lot of the IKs range. the signal is weak already (save battery) and if you have the key near the door handle that can actually make the response of the key worse.

the antenna is not in the door handle, sio i don't see how the paint can affect the range?

as for the beep tone, if this car is used perhaps the previous owner(S) physically disabled it or perhaps the speaker is damaged/ wiring faulty.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marctronixx View Post
cell phones and devices that radiate electromagnetic energy can decrease the range of the IK (intelligent Key). your body can absorb a lot of the IKs range. the signal is weak already (save battery) and if you have the key near the door handle that can actually make the response of the key worse.

the antenna is not in the door handle, sio i don't see how the paint can affect the range?

as for the beep tone, if this car is used perhaps the previous owner(S) physically disabled it or perhaps the speaker is damaged/ wiring faulty.

I wouldn't think there was an antenna in it but this was one of the comments I saw on here

"Door Handle Request Switch Range Problem?
I have a Galaxy Black 2014 Armada Platinum Reserve. The operating range of the Intelligent Key FOB to door handle request switch seems to be only a few inches from each front door handle instead of the normal 30 inches or so. The FOB buttons will remotely lock and unlock the doors from 50 feet away so I believe the FOB batteries are good.

I took it back to the dealer and they replaced the door-request switch receiver module. This had no affect on the operating range. The dealer then contacted the Nissan tech rep for assistance. The word now is that the problem is with the color-matched Galaxy Black door handle modules and Nissan has no fix at this time. I guess there is an embedded FOB transponder antenna in the handle modules.

The dealer has offered to install chrome handles on my front doors to restore normal operation but Nissan has no information on if or when it might be able to work with the original color-matched Galaxy Black handles.

Is there anyone else having this problem? Is it with all painted front handle modules or just Galaxy Black?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 09:08 AM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marctronixx View Post

So, where is the antenna?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 09:10 AM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)

Have you called a local nissan dealer to see if they have had customers come in with the issue? I must admit i didnt even know this was a thing.

EDIT: my apologies. Iím speaking bout the NATS AMP specifically. If you are having issues with the fob, the first thing i would suggest looking into is the NATS/key for amp.

https://www.titantalk.com/gallery/data/500/diagram.jpg

There is the location of the amp. There is also one under the key start.

The entire system is weak from the start. I think in the manual Nissan does not recommend you having the key near the door handle when you are requesting to lock/unlock.

Iím not a mechanic but i would suggest looking at the bigger parts of the system (the NATS) and perhaps the immobilizer system itself. All of this is controlled but the BCM and there may be some troubleshooting needed to really narrow it down. I just cant thank nissna would not research if paint would cause an issue with this....

Last edited by marctronixx; 01-18-2019 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Clarification

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode