Repair questions - new owner - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Repair questions - new owner

So I recently just purchased a 2007 Armada SE with 119k in mileage, when bought it had front end damage on driver side, but could see it was repairable as didnt ser any frame damage nor any air bags deployed, I just learned that I need to replace rack and pinion, so I'm reaching out to see while I'm under there should I start replacing upper and lower control arms, shocks and struts etc. To bring it back to its formal glory? I can say the truck is a beast even after the accident, ran it from Phoenix to Los angeles with no issues other then the infamous starter issues which I read is normal from this forum. Did it a couple of times while in LA but since being back In Phoenix no issues. Is this my early warning sign? Never owned a Nissan in my 34 years of life. So I dont know first thing about them. Also do you guys recommend a mechanic to due rack swap ? Or is it easy enough to get underneath it and do it solo? Thanks guys! I can say love these beasts since I sat in one, but only older models looked into buying a 2018 but didnt feel comfortable as cab is so much smaller then the older style.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 08:26 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I have the 07 LE model. I changed out the front struts when I bought it (used). I think that would be a good move on your part. I was really happy with the results.
The ones I put on are Bilstein F4-BE5-B623-H0 From ShockWarehouse.com. Bilstein's are popular here in the forums.

Back in 2010 they cost me $172 and the dealership charged me $192 to install them. I do the bulk of my own work on the vehicle, but I didn't have the means to change these out.

Also while you are underneath, have a look at the radiator and hose connections. Look for any coolant to be visible on the bottom of the radiator and where the hoses connect.
The stock radiators on these are crap. It is also worthwhile to change as many of the pressure clamps on the radiator hose connections over to worm-gear style clamps as possible.
Those pressure clamps lose their grip with time.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
'07 LE 4x4, Injen PowerFlow intake, SuperChips tuned, Borla dual exhaust, Bilstein struts, Michelin LTX MS2's, PowerSlot slotted rotors/Akebono pads, Goodridge SS brake lines, KMC-XD Monster rims, Viper remote start.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 06:37 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)

Garage
On my previous 04 LE 4WD, I installed a reman-rack and pinion. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it'd be but because the 04 was 4WD, I just had to drop the front differential to gain access to 2 of the 3 bolts. If your armada is 2WD, then it'll be much easier since you won't have the front differential in the way. Before I installed the replacement r&p, I had also purchased and installed polyurethane bushings and removed the cheap rubber bushings.

"I may think I have inalienable rights to be alive and happy but I don't - life is a blessing."

- Terrence McNally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I watched a video on how to just to get a better understanding of it. I'm pretty savvy with some but with this it looks a bit extreme but then again it was a 4wd and I do have the 2wd. I just order a new one from rock auto, it comes in Thursday, also picked up some new struts and shocks. I'm learning previous owner really didnt take care of this mada, so I'm trying to get it back to it's running glory. But thanks guys

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode