2005 Nissan Armada LE Rear Hatch Door Issue - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

2005 Nissan Armada LE Rear Hatch Door Issue

Hello everyone, I have a 2005 Nissan armada le 4X4 with over 170K miles.

I was having intermittent issues with my rear hatch door opening with remote or button in front by driver side. Door would sometimes open & other times would not open with button or remote. Since then door has completely stopped working with remote or any of the buttons on vehicle.

I can open door manually and it will stay open. Ive checked all fuses and they're good. Opened up rear hatch door panel to see if door actuator is working or if any cables are loose.

Actuator is working when you lock & unlock with remote. The cable that goes from door lock handle mechanism (for rear hatch window) to actuator is connected. The other cable that goes from door lock handle to actuator is missing. Assumed that since door opens & closes with motor assist that it wasn't needed. Looked to see if maybe it fell off but couldn't find anything.

Also, i checked door rod that assist in opening door and it looks fine. I could not hear motor for rear hatch door running or making any noise. BAD MOTOR? 🙁

Any ideas if it might be other problem causing door motor not to activate, maybe a sensor. Hoping its not motor, very expensive. Would appreciate any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:06 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)

The motor is located in the left hand compartment in the rear of the vehicle, right next to the jack. What you might try is sitting inside of the vehicle with the jack compartment cover off and try opening and closing the hatch. Keep your hands out of the way, because the toothed rod that moves the hatch up and down will come into the compartment where the jack is stored if it is working. This could likely tell you that the motor is working or not working. If it isn't, check all the fuses. Also might check the switch on the rear of the truck to see if it's bad (pull it out and check with a multi-meter), although I'm thinking that isn't it because even with the switch activated to OFF, the door will open with the dashboard switch; it only disables the remote and rear hatch from opening the door (doesn't make any sense to me, the only reason I can think of using this switch is if I had a bike rack or trailer on the back of the truck that the hatch would hit if it opened, so I'd like the cancel switch to disable the dashboard control, not the remote or the hatch control).

The other issue that a lot of people have had with the power hatch not working is weak gas struts. However, since you say the hatch stays up when open, I'm thinking that isn't your problem. But, you might just want to replace those anyway, they are cheap on Amazon, and they do lose their effectiveness over time (14 years is a long time!!).

Good luck and tell us what you find out.

Keith

- 12 Armada Platinum 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 18 Tesla Model 3, Long Range RWD
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans (kids car)
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 71,000 miles (play car)
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Thanks I'll do that. I did try listening to motor near side where jack is located. Nothing moving or sound from motor. Suspect it might be motor. I do recall that the times when rear hatch door was working intermittently, we could sometimes here a chime sound in rear when driver door was unlocked as we were trying to get into vehicle. Sound was coming from inside rear of vehicle. Don't know if this was related to rear hatch door opening going bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Can anyone tell how to troubleshoot for bad lift gate motor on my 2005 Nissan Armada LE 4x4. Is this something I can do myself or do I need to take to dealer.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode