08 battery goes dead over night - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to xracer144
08 battery goes dead over night

Over the last summer the battery in the Armada would randomly go dead over night. We passed this off as a door being left ajar or an interior light left on. Now that it is really cold, the battery goes dead every night. It sometimes will go dead in a matter of hours as well. Other times it will start right up. Is it a combination of a lousy battery and the cold? So what i did was hook up a fully charged battery that was removed from another truck with a set of booster cables for 3 days. When I checked this morning, the battery was not stone dead, but only had 9.8 volts in it. I think I may have a draw on the system somewhere. But where do i start looking?

Also, the fan is stuck on high. Even if you turn the fan switch down, the fan stays wide open. From what I have read on here, I need a new VBC, Could this be my no start culprit as well?

My inner child is a mean little effer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 09:22 AM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Garage
Check for current draw at the battery. A bad diode in the alternator will cause current draw, and discharge the battery.

Don - 2005 Armada SE 4x4 - PGM 90mm Throttle Body, JBA LT headers, Cajun Catted B-pipes, Borla Duel SS Cat-Back, UpRev, Injen CAI, 6" Pro Comp Lift, Ballistic Jesters, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Train Horn, lights, sirens

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 09:35 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drauden View Post
Check for current draw at the battery. A bad diode in the alternator will cause current draw, and discharge the battery.
Will this trigger a warning light, or a change in the Alternator gauge? As I posted in an earlier thread, my truck eats batteries; the longest I've gotten out of a single battery is 3 years.

Keith

- 12 Armada Platinum 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 18 Tesla Model 3, Long Range RWD
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans (kids car)
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 71,000 miles (play car)
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 10:19 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

08 battery goes dead over night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfamily View Post
Will this trigger a warning light, or a change in the Alternator gauge? As I posted in an earlier thread, my truck eats batteries; the longest I've gotten out of a single battery is 3 years.

Keith
I get two years. I would kill for three…

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Interior LED Package, 55W Morimoto 6000k HID Lows, 6000k LED Fogs, Rev Camera, Invisible Car Bra, Upper & lower grille combo, White Door Handles, VOLANT CAI with PowerCore filter, BD Triple Dog GT (Premium Tune + 2 deg)
Bilstein 5100s with maximum lift in the front, 1" Daystar rear lift, Red powdercoated NCP 2773546 NAPA front & 2773545 NAPA rear springs, Rancho 9000XL Rear shocks, F&R Powerstop slotted & drilled rotors with ceramic pads, Front and rear anti-sway bar delete
My Build Thread:

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 11:20 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Yeah you just need a new battery. Get it tested first though just to be sure.

04 Nissan Armada all stock

06 Dodge Charger R/T
[email protected]
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 11:49 AM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Garage
Also don't forget Driver Side Cig Lighter is ALWAYS Hot so anything plugged into it drains the battery dead.

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 09:55 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)

Factory battery clamps! They have different expansion rates than lead or high quality ones. I swapped out the factory clamps for quality ones and 90% of the problem went away. If you watch your charge gauge, it should stay at about 14 volts. But there is a temperature/resistence sensor in the battery lines. If you hear a click and the charging needle drops instantly to zero charge, put in a grounding kit, or replace the fusable link, or make sure your connections on the fuse at the positive terminal clamp are clean and complete. Very common problem with Armadas, which have temp sensitive charging systems.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 06:55 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 55 Post(s)

I have noticed also that the batteries these days do not last near as long as they did years ago. I have averaged about 2.5years life over the last 3 batteries and they all went dead over night.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 09:54 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

Probably just a bad battery. The alternator has a full-wave bridge rectifier in it, so there is always a few microamps of reverse leakage current through the schottky diodes, but this is nothing compared to other vampire loads.

It would take two bad diodes in the bridge to cause significant current, but then since schottky diodes don't tend to be graceful in reverse breakdown (they just fail short), they would basically just blow up instantly and the alternator would fail altogether.

Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. -- Philippians 4:8
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 12:36 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)

Yeah but this thread was from 8 months ago.

sent from broken autoguide app.

'04 LE

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode