Oil leaking from drain plug - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oil leaking from drain plug

Noticed a small puddle of oil in the garage, a couple days after I took my 08 Armada to the Nissan dealer for an oil change. I do my own changes on other cars, but always took the mada in to the dealer since I always seems to have a coupon or something, and the bill seemed equal to what I would pay auto zone for materials.

Got under there to check it out, and it appears to be weeping directly from the drain plug. Everywhere else, including the filter area, is dry.

Any idea what would cause this?

- Did the dealer cheap out on the crush washer by either reusing or forgetting it?
- would overfilling cause this?
- At chance these knuckleheads cross threaded it? (Fwiw, all the skid plate bolts were stripped)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 03:59 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

That sucks. - Hopefully it is just loose, and it just needs a 1/4 turn on it to fix.

After that, I would suspect the washer is missing.

2008 Armada SE
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

It's pretty darn tight....I'm taking it back to the Nissan dealer tomorrow, this is their problem.

I looked through my receipts, and 100% of my service has been done at that dealer, so if it's messed up, they were the ones who messed it up....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 07:03 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)

When you change the oil on this car you are supposed to replace the copper crush washer every time.

I wonder if they skipped that step? It's a fairly cheap part but easily overlooked by a lazy mechanic.

It could also be too loose or too tight. I use 25 ft/lbs on mine with a new crush washer and no leaks in 75k.

Take it back to the dealer - if they stripped it they need to replace the pan.

Giggity
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 06:42 AM
SHIFT_Lurker

Oil drain plug

When I did my first oil change on my 04 Armada (2 yrs ago), I observed that the copper crush washer had been severely damaged. It looked like the previous owner reused it way too many times (way more than once and more than twice) so I decided to just not use the crush washer at all. I don't torque the drain bolt down like a mad man either... I have had no leaks at all... Is it good practice to use that copper crush washer? Absolutely! Is it essential to prevent leaks? I have to say no...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode