2011 towing, gears, air suspension yikes! - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

2011 towing, gears, air suspension yikes!

First post is a doosie!

Ok, so like many others, I recently purchased a slightly used 2011 Armada SV 4x4, and of course, the dealer (not a Nissan dealer) told me that it had the 9000 lbs. towing capacity. After hooking up my TT and noticing quite a bit of sag in the back, I determined I did not have load leveling as they claimed and began my exhaustive research (mostly on this forum.)

I mostly need confirmation of what I probably already know based on my research.

So... without further adieu...

My Armada has a max towing capacity of 6500lbs. My TT has a dry weight of around 4500 (which I know probably isn't accurate), which is well within the 6500, but I was really looking at future towing capabilities. But, it looks like maybe I'm screwed in that department.

So, proceeding forward. Addressing the load leveling, it looks like the bright blue wonders (firestone helper springs) are my best option. One question for those running them... did you install an onboard compressor? If so, which one? Can you (or should you) inflate from the cab, or do you inflate outside the vehicle?

GEARS! So... from what I've gathered... I may be screwed here as well. Looks like I can't just swap to the 3.36 final drive (I am still a bit confused, but kind of think that the 2011 SV 4x4, even with the SV tow package only has the 2.96 gears), but that I would have to swap the entire front and rear diff? And as a caveat, I am now looking at regear as a way to better tow within my 6500 lbs. current capacity, NOT trying to get the 9000 lbs. capacity. While the Armada tows pretty well as it is, it is a bit sluggish in acceleration.

Lastly, I do have an E2 weight distribution hitch that I used with my Expedition before, but my rear still squats pretty good. Maybe someone who is familiar can chime in, but I think I just need to take it in and have it adjusted for the Armada?

Thanks for any help in advance! I've gotten a lot of good information from this forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 12:25 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Garage
Start with these Timbren Bumpstops then test tow it, they were the magic ingredient for towing my 6200-lbs TT w/o load-leveling suspension.

http://www.stengelbros.net/NRARM_p_1564.html

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops View Post
Start with these Timbren Bumpstops then test tow it, they were the magic ingredient for towing my 6200-lbs TT w/o load-leveling suspension.

http://www.stengelbros.net/NRARM_p_1564.html
Thank you Pops! A good majority of the info I found here has been from your posts. I must have missed the bumpstops.

However, my understanding of bumpstops is that they keep the suspension from bottoming out... do these act differently than others because they are bigger? (Most of my suspension experience is with my Wrangler, which I have installed a lift on)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 01:40 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)

Madasooner: There are a couple threads going on about rear suspension. if you have the time check through the Armada Rear Coils thread I started. TONS of info! In someways you are ahead of the curve in that you already have the stiffer non-tow spring (unless there are three different ones... lol) you could prolly skip to the last handful of pages on that thread. Firestones (Blue bags) so far are showing more promise than the AirLift1000s (Red bags). Pops can attest to his experience with the AirLifts and I believe E&J Pushin' Wind has the Firestones... I know Grill has the Firestones, but he is about to have a bunch of work done by Greg (PRG Products). Pops' suggestion on bump stops is a terrific one, other things to consider if that doesn't get you to where you want to be is to add stiffer/better rear shocks, possibly upgrade rear coils (not sure if it is an upgrade for you or not), add helper airbags (Firestone or AirLift.... your call). Most have done exterior manual fill on the helper airbags.

If someone can chime in on issues of in-cabin/exterior fill that would be terrific.

'05 Mada LE Slate
Mods Done: UpRev, Bilstein 5100s in front, PRG 2" rear spaces, R1 Premium Drilled & Slotted Rotors, PosiQuite pads, Volant GenII CAI, 8K HID Lows, LEDs by ArmaDen, 3k HID Fogs, and Delete middle row console.
Mods in progress: JBA LT, PRT 300-cell hi-flo cat'd b-pipes, Borla xlr-1 muffler w/custom tubing, LED Engine Bay LEDs, Custom Suspension Lift by PRG, Custom PRG front & rear shocks, Custom PRG Rear springs.
Mods in contemplation: GoodHood or custom hood, Steel front and rear bumpers, upgraded front springs, Custom roof rack and cargo basket, Additional lighting.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Thanks Koosh... looks like I have some more reading to do!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 02:08 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madasooner View Post
.... do these act differently than others because they are bigger? ...
Yes....

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 09:01 AM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

First off, get your E2 WD hitch setup for the Armada. You need to make sure that is adjusted correctly first, no matter what suspension aids you have.

New: 2012 Nissan Titan SL, Premium Utility Package, Tint, WeatherTech Floor Liners, AirRaid MXP, Bully Dog GT, Midland 75-822 CB w/ 4' Firestik Antenna.

Old: 2004 Nissan Armada LE
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Planning on doing that as soon as my new tongue jack comes in. Wouldn't you know... 5 trips in the brand new camper and the power jack goes out. Some research and I determined that brand is junk, so I'm just replacing. E2 has adjustment instructions on their website, so I should be able to do it myself.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 01:32 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Garage
I just use a crank jack, cheap and easy to fix if it breaks. -lol.... Are you in the Okc metro by any chance?

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

I'm in Colorado now, but we moved here from OKC. Actually still own our house in NW OKC. Sad to see Moore get hit again. Are you an okie?

I like the hand crank... Until it starts snowing right when I need to set up

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode