I'm dumb, need tech advice. - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm dumb, need tech advice.

First off, let me say that I don't know sh*T about trucks/suvs etc. I have a 05 Armada and just drove 1000 miles to pick up a 21 foot boat. picked up the boat, drove home, and noticed that at abou 900/1000 miles, AFTER STOPPING in traffic, the coolant temp rises signifcantly (almost all the way to H), after getting back on the interstate, the temp drops back down to the middle.

Here are some facts: I flushed the coolant 20,000 miles ago. I flushed the trans fluid 20,000 miles ago. I didn't tow the boat in 4th gear (but i did press the tow mode button, not sure if that does anything), I towed in D...why? Answer: see title of thread...i just learned that towing is supposed to be done in 4 from researching this problem on this forum. I have also noticed that the truck doesnt overheat if im not towing my boat. Is this a water pump issue? I can hear the fans spinning so Im assuming that they are working fine, also, the AC is on during the overheat incidents.

any help is appreciated.
thanks,\.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 10:02 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)

First I would try something simple like checking coolant level and replacing the radiator cap with a factory cap.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 10:50 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)

The fact that you overheated sitting in traffic suggests to me that whatever problem you have isn't related to towing. I'm wondering if you have a bad fan thermostat, or perhaps air in the system from when you flushed the radiator. Has it been warmer than usual where you've been driving? Might want to give it a good drive on the freeway, then stop and let it idle for a few minutes to see if the gauge goes up to H again.

And, yes, tow in 4, not D. Will reduce wear and tear and heat in your transmission.

Keith

- 12 Armada Platinum 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 18 Tesla Model 3, Long Range RWD
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans (kids car)
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 71,000 miles (play car)
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Its about time for the coolant to be changed anyway, so I will flush the coolant, replace thermostat, and check the fans. Like I said, I can hear the fan(s) running, so I know that at least one of them is functional.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 03:23 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)

How do you flush the coolant without using regular non distilled water? I don't want to use a hose for fear of introducing rust producing particles.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Giggity
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
How do you flush the coolant without using regular non distilled water? I don't want to use a hose for fear of introducing rust producing particles.

You don't, you use a hose. If you change your coolant every 30,000 miles or 3 years, you dont have to worry about rust. The coolant has anti-rust compounds to account for regular water.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

plus, your just flushing with reg water. you drain the radiator, and the engine block after flushing, and mix the coolant with DISTILLED water for the fill up. so only a residue of reg water is present in the engine anyway.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 05:46 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)

This is one thing I haven't done on this truck yet and I've got 75k. It looks and performs fine but I am afraid to make it worse.

Giggity
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 11:30 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I think you're low on coolant. My guess is the reason it wasnt getting hot while going down the road is because you were getting enough air moving through your radiator. Once you stopped, the lack of air movement and low coolant was allowing it to get hot.
When you filled the radiator after the flush was the truck running? If not the radiator likely appeared full but had an air bubble and now the coolant level is low. The water pump needs to be circulating the coolant in order to get the air bubbles out.

2004 LE
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdcd View Post
I think you're low on coolant. My guess is the reason it wasnt getting hot while going down the road is because you were getting enough air moving through your radiator. Once you stopped, the lack of air movement and low coolant was allowing it to get hot.
When you filled the radiator after the flush was the truck running? If not the radiator likely appeared full but had an air bubble and now the coolant level is low. The water pump needs to be circulating the coolant in order to get the air bubbles out.
I added about a quart to bring the cold temp between min and max. not sure if that could be enough to cause a problem, but hopefully that fixes the problem.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode