Transmission radiator bypass 2010 armada?? - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2013, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)

Garage
Transmission radiator bypass 2010 armada??

I just ran into a friend of mine that has a local auto shop, he was asking me about if I Bypassed the transmission lines from the cooler as there has been issues with the Pathfinders and Nissan Armadas putting Antifreez into the transmissions, he told me to read up on it as he just did his daughters newer pathfinder..any info or a way to search on here for these issues..??? Should I worry about this as mine has the Big tow package but want help if radiator desides to take a dump..Wow this and Exhaust issues..??

2015 Pearl white Platinum 4x4 Gift to my wife..
2nd owner 2010 5.6L Armada 4x4 Titanium 52k miles Traded @ 74,000 miles.
2001 5.4L F150 4x4 Lariat extended cab on 285/17
1979 Harley Davidson Low Rider custom,2002 KTM 520 EXC Dirt bike,2007 450 Yamaha Grizzly atv
1998 honda 300 4x4 fourtrax atv
work hard to play hard.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out my youtube link here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2013, 11:03 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)

The three major and perhaps four if prior to 08 issues are the manifolds, radiator, front diffy failing if loaded in reverse, and brakes for earlier than 08. Perhaps other issues may occur but not necessarily major.

You can find information on the forum about the bypass. What many of the Mada owners are doing is changing to an all aluminum Koyo race/high performance radiator or a Stillen all aluminum. It solves the failure of the plastic tanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Old 12-09-2013, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by E&J push'n wind View Post
The three major and perhaps four if prior to 08 issues are the manifolds, radiator, front diffy failing if loaded in reverse, and brakes for earlier than 08. Perhaps other issues may occur but not necessarily major.

You can find information on the forum about the bypass. What many of the Mada owners are doing is changing to an all aluminum Koyo race/high performance radiator or a Stillen all aluminum. It solves the failure of the plastic tanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Ok thanks, What you listed is most of the issues I been reading about and having concerns. Hopfully the 2010 has been address with most of these, I'll take a look at the Rad and be careful when backing in revers when in 4x4..Thanks for the info..
dean2000 likes this.

1979 Harley Davidson Low Rider custom,2002 KTM 520 EXC Dirt bike,2007 450 Yamaha Grizzly atv
work hard to play hard.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013, 09:23 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 55 Post(s)

All Titans and Armadas are not immune from the cracked manifolds or cracked radiators does not matter what year 04-13. The plastic radiators used today in all cars and trucks will fail eventually and unfortunately the transmission lines run through the radiator where the cracks happen which can flood the transmission with coolant on the Nissans. Most will get a aftermarket trans cooler like the sr4588 Long tru cool and bypass the plastic radiator. This is a $85-100 mod that will get you 20* cooler trans temps and peace of mind not worrying about contamination. There is a great thread on Titantalk with a step by step how to on this.
dean2000 likes this.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl View Post
All Titans and Armadas are not immune from the cracked manifolds or cracked radiators does not matter what year 04-13. The plastic radiators used today in all cars and trucks will fail eventually and unfortunately the transmission lines run through the radiator where the cracks happen which can flood the transmission with coolant on the Nissans. Most will get a aftermarket trans cooler like the sr4588 Long tru cool and bypass the plastic radiator. This is a $85-100 mod that will get you 20* cooler trans temps and peace of mind not worrying about contamination. There is a great thread on Titantalk with a step by step how to on this.
Thanks, I been combing trough a lot of stuff over at Titan Talk..
I will do some research on the sr4588..

work hard to play hard.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:55 PM
SHIFT_Lurker

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Radiator Bypass with Trailer Tow?

It looks like the trailer tow package is automatically a auxiliary trans cooler, is it not? Does it still run through both somehow? I have the trailer tow package on my 2008, so just trying to find out if I should still do the bypass and if there's room in the event there's also the factory aux cooler?

My radiator recently had a lower leak and I wasn't aware of these issues until I randomly did some looking after hearing from a friend. I was a little late as I had just allowed the dealer to replace my radiator with the value OEM radiator (lower cost). They never even offered or told me about the difference between that and the factory installed one. Live and learn.

Thanks to all those who are mechanically inclined and a lot more knowledgeable than I am on these details!
Old 08-17-2018, 03:57 PM
SHIFT_Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I have an 08 with two package too and bypassed my internal heat exchanger to avoid any chance of the transmission issues related to failure of that exchanger within the radiator.

Our trucks do have an additional cooler near the top of the radiator on the front on passenger side, but the lines still also feed into the exchanger in the radiator.

There is a thread here that I and others have posted to with instructions and pictures. The hardest part for me was mounting the new external cooler in front of the radiator. Took me a couple hours once I figured out what parts to buy /use.

Cheers

08 Armada SE 4x4
Front: Bilstein 5100s, Rear: 2" PRG spacers, Bilstein 24-187077, Firestone Coil-Rite Air Springs (W237604150)
Volant (Gen 1) CAI, Nitto Terra Grapplers (275/70/R18), Bully Dog GT (10/2017), Hayden 678 Trans Cooler (12/2017)
Old 02-18-2019, 01:57 AM
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Garage
I used to have an Xterra that required the radiator/trans bypass due to the radiator leaking fluid into the trans. Now I have a new (used) 2010 Armada, and it looks like it has the same issue.

I bypassed my Xterra without adding a separate cooler, and drove it for years without a problem until I drove up a steep mountain road in the desert during a hot summer. Even then I only had to watch the RPMs. Will I see a comparable loss of thermal control with my Armada? Can I get by with daily driving no problem after doing the bypass, without adding a separate cooler, as long as I am cognizant of avoiding conditions that might increase the trans temp?

Old 02-18-2019, 06:09 PM
SHIFT_Newbie

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Not sure about skipping the bypass but here is an install thread -
https://www.clubarmada.com/forums/33...8-install.html

I posted a pic here about how I mounted mine, no issues so far.
https://www.clubarmada.com/forums/8-...tml#post570865

08 LE Non-nav, 4wd
Old 02-21-2019, 10:29 AM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 30 Post(s)

Heres a really good vid on adding a cooler.

https://www.clubarmada.com/forums/21...er-bypass.html

08 Armada 4x4 SE K11 Smoke Grey

Bully Dog GT, Airbox Mod, Running Board Delete, Tinted Headlights + Taillights, Alpine Type S 10" Sub + Alpine MRV Amplifier