Freakin' Skid Plate Removal - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

Freakin' Skid Plate Removal

Okay, so what's the trick for getting this skid plate off and back on again without having to jack the thing up 6 inches?

The Armada is the highest vehicle I've ever owned, and the ONLY one that seems to require being jacked up to change the oil.

Okay, enough griping. Any tips or tricks?

Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. -- Philippians 4:8

Last edited by scr38; 05-29-2014 at 11:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 09:18 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)

Garage
Not sure why your jacking up the Armada to change oil, I removed all the skid plate bolts slightly pushed up and forward and the skid plate drops down out of the way, just make sure your on level ground. This works great on the 2010.

2015 Pearl white Platinum 4x4 Gift to my wife..
2nd owner 2010 5.6L Armada 4x4 Titanium 52k miles Traded @ 74,000 miles.
2001 5.4L F150 4x4 Lariat extended cab on 285/17
1979 Harley Davidson Low Rider custom,2002 KTM 520 EXC Dirt bike,2007 450 Yamaha Grizzly atv
1998 honda 300 4x4 fourtrax atv
work hard to play hard.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out my youtube link here.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 09:44 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)

Garage
If it's not 4x4 you gotta jack it up cause it's lower, I no cause i cant get to mine unless i jack it up or put it on a ramp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mine is a 2012 4x4, but the way the thing is shaped the back of the plate has to drop way down below ground level for the two screw tabs in the center to drop out of the body. I'll take a picture or two tomorrow to show what I mean. I don't know the jargon to describe what I'm talking about. There's a very narrow slot that these two tabs have to pass through to drop the plate, and they have to be angled just so to do it, and that doesn't happen without dropping the rear of the plate so that it is almost vertical... if that makes sense.

Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. -- Philippians 4:8
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 11:26 PM
SHIFT_Administrator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

I remove mine without jacking the vehicle. Loosen the two rear bolts, remove the two front bolts, slide the plate forward off the rear bolts and remove.

2004 Armada SE, Throttle body coolant bypass, Grounding kit, modified Volant CAI with Amsoil dry element, custom engine cover, trailer brake controller, Michelin M/S2s, custom lower grill, Silver Star headlights, Bilstein HD shocks, Power Stop Drilled/Slotted Rotors, ceramic pads, Goodridge SS brake lines, interior and back-up LEDs, PLM transmission pan, trans radiator cooler by-passed, all Amsoil synthetic lubricants, Nismo headers, custom 3" SS exhaust system with high flow metallic core cats, UpRev tuner version, 318 rear wheel HP.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 11:45 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Just don't put the skid plate back on. It's merely a cosmetic part and the truck will drive fine without it.

04 Nissan Armada all stock

06 Dodge Charger R/T
[email protected]
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 07:21 AM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Garage
Do NOT remove the rear bolts, just loosen them. The skid plate is grooved so it will just slide forward out of the rear bolts.

Don - 2005 Armada SE 4x4 - PGM 90mm Throttle Body, JBA LT headers, Cajun Catted B-pipes, Borla Duel SS Cat-Back, UpRev, Injen CAI, 6" Pro Comp Lift, Ballistic Jesters, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Train Horn, lights, sirens

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 09:11 AM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Garage
Just leave it off... Mine fell off on a highway several months ago and I figure it's more of a pain to mess with than not.

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr38 View Post
I remove mine without jacking the vehicle. Loosen the two rear bolts, remove the two front bolts, slide the plate forward off the rear bolts and remove.
There are six bolts in my skid plate, and no sliding forward is going to happen. The two front bolts are on tabs that are angled almost 90 degrees to the plate, and must be threaded through a slot (which means angling the plate down at nearly 90 degrees) before the tabs can be pushed up to where they need to go.

The two extra bolts are attached to angle brackets that must be removed in order to drop the plate to get those angled tabs out. Here are pictures:

Not sure this helps.. but that gap is about half the length of the tabs, so the tabs have to angle to thread through the gap, behind which there is enough room for them. That U-shaped cutout is there to allow a socket extension to get a socket dead on the screw that holds in the plate.

Last edited by ehidle; 05-30-2014 at 03:09 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 11:18 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)

Garage
Ehidle, Mine is nothing like that, not sure what changes were made between 2010 and 2012 but I don't have the angles. Did mine sorta like scr38 said...Strange

2015 Pearl white Platinum 4x4 Gift to my wife..
2nd owner 2010 5.6L Armada 4x4 Titanium 52k miles Traded @ 74,000 miles.
2001 5.4L F150 4x4 Lariat extended cab on 285/17
1979 Harley Davidson Low Rider custom,2002 KTM 520 EXC Dirt bike,2007 450 Yamaha Grizzly atv
1998 honda 300 4x4 fourtrax atv
work hard to play hard.

Check out my youtube link here.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode