Transmission failures - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore
 
KingRJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wright City, MO
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
 
Thumbs up Transmission failures

Just thought I would give everyone a heads up, I have just rebuilt\replaced my 5th tranny on an Armada. Water intrusion was the cause EVERY time including two that I was able to save. Leaking trans coolers in the radiator was the cause! Just some advise if you are at or over the 80k mark I highly recommend either radiator replacement or install an aftermarket trans cooler and take the radiator out of the loop. By the way 2 times I had to have the fluid analyzed to find the water intrusion as I did not see anything unusual! HTH
KingRJ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 12:32 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore
 
ntrddragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,332
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
 
yeah..i have the stillen aluminum rad now and a trans cooler also. i did it as a precaution.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'04 LE
ntrddragn is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 12:18 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore
 
drewcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRJ View Post
Just thought I would give everyone a heads up, I have just rebuilt\replaced my 5th tranny on an Armada. Water intrusion was the cause EVERY time including two that I was able to save. Leaking trans coolers in the radiator was the cause! Just some advise if you are at or over the 80k mark I highly recommend either radiator replacement or install an aftermarket trans cooler and take the radiator out of the loop. By the way 2 times I had to have the fluid analyzed to find the water intrusion as I did not see anything unusual! HTH
Didn't want to hear that. So would you say the aluminum rad is a better bet even if i dont do the bypass.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'06 LE, Airaid MXP CAI w/dry filter - BullyDog GT w/regular tune - 20" Titan wheels w/Cooper ATP's - Int/Ext LED conversion - 5000K HID low beams - Bilstein HD - Amsoil Synthetic everywhere - Power Stop drilled/slotted rotors w/ceramics pads
drewcs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 12:31 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,050
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcs View Post
Didn't want to hear that. So would you say the aluminum rad is a better bet even if i dont do the bypass.
Absolutely!!! After reading on here about radiator failures I changed mine to a Stillen as a precautionary measure. Cheap insurance, the cost of a radiator vs. tranny. Even if dealer or independent repair shop does it you come out ahead. The radiator is less than an OEM and is a better radiator FWIW.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
E&J push'n wind is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore
 
KingRJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wright City, MO
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
 
Probably any replacement readiator is better than the original, however I recommend installing an aftermarket cooler and eliminate radiator as a potential failure.....awful cheap insurance and just about anyone can install it!
KingRJ is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 02:43 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore
 
drewcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by E&J push'n wind View Post
Absolutely!!! After reading on here about radiator failures I changed mine to a Stillen as a precautionary measure. Cheap insurance, the cost of a radiator vs. tranny. Even if dealer or independent repair shop does it you come out ahead. The radiator is less than an OEM and is a better radiator FWIW.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Ahhh...the upgrades continue... Thanks!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'06 LE, Airaid MXP CAI w/dry filter - BullyDog GT w/regular tune - 20" Titan wheels w/Cooper ATP's - Int/Ext LED conversion - 5000K HID low beams - Bilstein HD - Amsoil Synthetic everywhere - Power Stop drilled/slotted rotors w/ceramics pads
drewcs is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 02:45 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore
 
drewcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRJ View Post
Probably any replacement readiator is better than the original, however I recommend installing an aftermarket cooler and eliminate radiator as a potential failure.....awful cheap insurance and just about anyone can install it!
I don't tow but do carry a full load often. My only concern with the bypass trans cooler is that I live in a cold climate and worry about the warm up. Is this an issue I should or shouldn't worry about?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'06 LE, Airaid MXP CAI w/dry filter - BullyDog GT w/regular tune - 20" Titan wheels w/Cooper ATP's - Int/Ext LED conversion - 5000K HID low beams - Bilstein HD - Amsoil Synthetic everywhere - Power Stop drilled/slotted rotors w/ceramics pads
drewcs is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore
 
KingRJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wright City, MO
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
 
Cold trans fluid is not really a problem it will warm up very quickly on its own......the trans cooler is for cooling fluid to 200 or so degrees not for warming it up.
KingRJ is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 04:20 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore
 
ntrddragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,332
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
 
Wrap a towel around the transcooler like nightowl does when he start it up in the cold morning.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'04 LE
ntrddragn is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 06:28 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore
 
drewcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRJ View Post
Cold trans fluid is not really a problem it will warm up very quickly on its own......the trans cooler is for cooling fluid to 200 or so degrees not for warming it up.
Just wondering how much longer it would take to bring up to operating temp.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'06 LE, Airaid MXP CAI w/dry filter - BullyDog GT w/regular tune - 20" Titan wheels w/Cooper ATP's - Int/Ext LED conversion - 5000K HID low beams - Bilstein HD - Amsoil Synthetic everywhere - Power Stop drilled/slotted rotors w/ceramics pads
drewcs is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome