User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Steering/suspension???

New to this forum and we just got our 09 armada le about 5 months ago!! We love it but having issues with the steering/suspension. When driving at highway speeds, and even hit a bump or pot hole that's not very big, it's almost like the front end tries to walk! The bigger bumps or railroad tracks on our local highways you better have both hands on the wheel so you can catch it when it feels like it wants to veer. Could this just be control arm bushings or?? Like I said new to this and I haven't had a vehicle do this. Thanks for all the help or advice that can be given.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 12:04 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)

Could be several different things.
Check proper tire inflation first. What tires you have on it currently?
Next up would be alignment check. Armadas have been known to be hard to get in proper alignment.
Most likely if OEM, Rancho, or Monroe shocks up front- shocks possibly toast. Best bang for your buck would be replace them with bilstein HD or 5100 shocks.

'05 Mada LE Slate
Mods Done: UpRev, Bilstein 5100s in front, PRG 2" rear spaces, R1 Premium Drilled & Slotted Rotors, PosiQuite pads, Volant GenII CAI, 8K HID Lows, LEDs by ArmaDen, 3k HID Fogs, and Delete middle row console.
Mods in progress: JBA LT, PRT 300-cell hi-flo cat'd b-pipes, Borla xlr-1 muffler w/custom tubing, LED Engine Bay LEDs, Custom Suspension Lift by PRG, Custom PRG front & rear shocks, Custom PRG Rear springs.
Mods in contemplation: GoodHood or custom hood, Steel front and rear bumpers, upgraded front springs, Custom roof rack and cargo basket, Additional lighting.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Tires are inflated to spec, and they are Michelin ltx m/s2. So have really good tires. The shocks ride wise seem fine, meaning as they dont cause the front end to bounce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 02:28 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Armadas and titans have a really nasty bump steer issue that is 100% corrective by either of the bilsteins I mentioned above. That is what it sounds like is happening with your ride. However, it could also be an alignment issue...

The HDs are if you want to maintain factory ride height and the 5100s offer upwards adjustability to about 2.5 inches.

'05 Mada LE Slate
Mods Done: UpRev, Bilstein 5100s in front, PRG 2" rear spaces, R1 Premium Drilled & Slotted Rotors, PosiQuite pads, Volant GenII CAI, 8K HID Lows, LEDs by ArmaDen, 3k HID Fogs, and Delete middle row console.
Mods in progress: JBA LT, PRT 300-cell hi-flo cat'd b-pipes, Borla xlr-1 muffler w/custom tubing, LED Engine Bay LEDs, Custom Suspension Lift by PRG, Custom PRG front & rear shocks, Custom PRG Rear springs.
Mods in contemplation: GoodHood or custom hood, Steel front and rear bumpers, upgraded front springs, Custom roof rack and cargo basket, Additional lighting.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

I'll check into that! Thanks a lot for the help!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 09:57 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)

Garage
Kooshtaka's recommendations are spot on. If you feel the OEM shocks are still good, an alignment done by a very thorough tech/shop can help correct some of the issues you're experiencing. The armada uses IFS and IRS, front and rear; the slightest variation in toe, camber can can not only wear out the tires prematurely, but also make the vehicle's suspension feel sloppy at times.

"I may think I have inalienable rights to be alive and happy but I don't - life is a blessing."

- Terrence McNally
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Just an update... Thanks a lot for the help. I had some bilstein 5100 shocks put on and fixed my problem 100%. The factory shocks were toast! Thanks again
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 06:41 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Glad we were able to help and your issue was resolved.

'05 Mada LE Slate

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode