User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

4WD not engaging...

I have searched but haven't had any luck with my issue as it seems common.

Had the first snow storm of the season hit us hard today. Went to engage 4WD but it did not come on no matter what I tried. Sad when my girlfriends Scion Tc goes through the snow better than this tank.

I swapped the two relays behind the battery for the 4WD/Auto leveling and no luck. Going to buy a new relay since I never witnessed the autoleveling work or compressor kick on. Checked underneath and the shafts look ok (c-clips recently replaced) and no fluid leaking. Brand new battery as well.

I put it into neutral and then into 4Lo and the "4Lo" will light up on the cluster. Tried to pull up the hill and rear tires spun even though it said it was in 4lo. However, the 4WD light doesn't come on in either "Auto" or "4Hi". You can see the two front wheels and center diff light up but no 4WD.

Anyone have any other ideas to try out? Kind of a kick in the balls after spending all this money on this truck recently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Anyone? lol
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 03:22 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)

Never heard of this issue. Good luck with the diagnosis.

'05 Mada LE Slate
Mods Done: UpRev, Bilstein 5100s in front, PRG 2" rear spaces, R1 Premium Drilled & Slotted Rotors, PosiQuite pads, Volant GenII CAI, 8K HID Lows, LEDs by ArmaDen, 3k HID Fogs, and Delete middle row console.
Mods in progress: JBA LT, PRT 300-cell hi-flo cat'd b-pipes, Borla xlr-1 muffler w/custom tubing, LED Engine Bay LEDs, Custom Suspension Lift by PRG, Custom PRG front & rear shocks, Custom PRG Rear springs.
Mods in contemplation: GoodHood or custom hood, Steel front and rear bumpers, upgraded front springs, Custom roof rack and cargo basket, Additional lighting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 09:40 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)

Garage
Hopefully scr38 will chime in soon, could be a switch or cluster problem. What year is your suv, how many miles. This would be a huge issue if it ever happened to me.
Here is a few inserts from my Haynes manual. I would check your front diff shift connections and transfer case. my Expy did this and it was a rotted vacuum line. 10 minute fix I was back using 4x4. Hope this helps. keep us posted.

2015 Pearl white Platinum 4x4 Gift to my wife..
2nd owner 2010 5.6L Armada 4x4 Titanium 52k miles Traded @ 74,000 miles.
2001 5.4L F150 4x4 Lariat extended cab on 285/17
1979 Harley Davidson Low Rider custom,2002 KTM 520 EXC Dirt bike,2007 450 Yamaha Grizzly atv
1998 honda 300 4x4 fourtrax atv
work hard to play hard.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out my youtube link here.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

^Thanks!

I ordered a new 4wd relay that will hopefully be in tomorrow. I am going to give that a shot. Going to check over grounds and make sure everything is clean since the other nissans in my fleet were always sensitive to bad grounds. I'll keep this thread posted.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Well, the relay did not do anything. I have an extra brand new that I ordered as an extra. 25$ shipped if anyone is interested in it!

I crawled under the truck last night and it appears the front axles popped out. It looked ok upon visual inspection but then I grabbed them and they have a good amount of slop and you can see it wiggle in and out of the diff. Trying to figure out how to tackle this.

Also had my VDC, SLIP, ABS, and 4wd lights come on. The illumination for the 4 wheels and diff disappear when the 4wd light comes on. Slowly losing it with this thing.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 10:00 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)

Read up on armada voltage deficiencies and the appropriate fixes. I had all the same problems. They all went away after rebuilding the electrical connections.
They key is clean, soldered, metal to metal connections. Read the 08 recall for ground point under hood fixes to id points that need to be fixed. Install the grounding kit after soldering all ends. Solder the junk cheapo crimped oem battery cable ends. Solder ends and install direct alternator ground wire. Remove the ground sensor loop on the negative battery cable. The armada electrical system leaks voltage like a sieve and needs to be addressed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode