User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Battery question

I hope this is the right place to ask this.
I have a 2012 Armada I bought in November 2012.
February 2014 (14 months after I purchased it) the battery was replaced under warranty. It wasn't dead but was starting to crank slow after sitting for a couple of days.
Now 11 months later the same thing happened. Slow cranking after sitting for 2 days. Took it to the dealer and they replaced it with another 84 month battery. They said there is no drain on the battery and the alternator is good. (it shows charging after the car starts) they7 said that the battery was bad,
So my question is anyone else have a 2012 or similar with battery problems? Could have been a bad batch of batteries and I was unlucky enough to get 2 of them

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 10:08 AM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Garage
The stock battery's are bad. 1 year is average life.

Don - 2005 Armada SE 4x4 - PGM 90mm Throttle Body, JBA LT headers, Cajun Catted B-pipes, Borla Duel SS Cat-Back, UpRev, Injen CAI, 6" Pro Comp Lift, Ballistic Jesters, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Train Horn, lights, sirens

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 04:37 PM
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

That really sucks. On my Trooper my battery has been going strong for 8 years. It is an Optima from before they went to crap. My secret is a remote mount battery in the rear. The fact that it sees barely any temperature change is what keeps it alive. Being baked at 200F under the hood never helps any part last.

If it does not have a battery blanket then add one. If you leave it for more than a week in the cold put a battery maintainer on it. Sulphate buildup on the plates is cumulative. It's like exposure to the sun. Over time it can lead to an early death even though immediate effects are not felt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Thanks for the replies. I guess as you said the stock batteries aren't very good.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 11:40 AM
SHIFT_Newbie

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

get a optima yellow top and dont look back...its been single digit temps here for a few months in nyc and my truck starts no problem, even after a few days sitting over weekend...and my battery is fours years old ...enjoy

2005 QX56

Stillen catback dual exhaust , s&b air intake
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 07:13 PM
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Agreed. My Optima starts no problem at -32C after a weekend. Not saying Optima is the greatest but it is how a good battry should perform. When Optima was first bought out they went to crap for a couple years but I think all the quality issues are resolved now and they are good again.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 10:57 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)

The battery on my 2012 went bad at about 18 months. My 2006 needed a new battery every three years, like clockwork.

- 12 Armada Platinum 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 18 Tesla Model 3, Long Range RWD
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans (kids car)
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 71,000 miles (play car)
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 12:52 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)

Garage
I got an interstate battery when my factory one died in the Sams Club parking lot and that was in 2010.

James

2004 Armada SE Smoke 4x4, 2 Degree Advanced Timing, Air-Box Mod, K&N Drop In Filter, Active Tuning Grounding Kit, 6000K HID's, LED Interior and Exterior illumination, Chrome OEM Grille, Front Windows Tinted To Mach Back, V8 Emblems, LE Emblem, Big Tow Package, Prodigy Brake Controller, ScanGauge II, Microfilter, Qx56 Chrome Wheels/Steering Wheel, OEM Fog Lights, Back-Up Camera!
1976 Apache Trailer Hard-side Pop Up
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 09:52 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)

Had the same problem. Numerous batteries in first 3 years. Finally went to interstate agm 13.2V, removed ground sensor loop from negative battery cable, installed grounding kit with all soldered connections, soldered and depainted all ground points visible in engine compartment, and replaced battery cables with soldered end, copper cable, with solid lead battery clamps. Most electrical problems are gone, besides those caused by inferior system design. Look up the 08 recall for engine compartment ground point repair/rebuild. It will identify faulty connections, then you just need to redo them correctly.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Thanks again for all the replies. When this one starts to go bad I will replace it with a good quality battery and as F4N4EVR said, I will check all the connections.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode