Exhaust Manifolds "fixed" - did I make a mistake? - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Exhaust Manifolds "fixed" - did I make a mistake?

(This is semi-cross posted from my post in the "New Members" section - decided my question was better suited for this section).

So shame on me, but I was not aware of the issues with cracked exhaust manifolds on the Armada when I purchased my 2004 LE in June. So we were surprised to find out that it did indeed have a significant leak and was unable to pass safety inspection. I took it to my local mechanic (the dealer was quoting me ~5k - just too much for me to handle out of pocket right after purchasing), and he took out the exhaust manifolds and had them machined and welded, and reinstalled them. The exhaust leak was gone (the engine much quieter) and it passed inspection with flying colors (once I had replaced the third-brake light, anyway). I should say again: we *really* like this truck - even my wife enjoys driving it - and we'd like to think it'll last us at least 5 (maybe maybe even 10?) years (mostly as a long-haul driver - I work from home so no commuting, just occasional errands/grocery runs around town).

Here's my dilemma - I'm wondering if I'm making more trouble for myself by having the old exhaust repaired instead of replacing them with something better. Obviously this is the *perfect* time to have second thoughts (after having the engine all apart once already!), but I'm still not clear on how serious of an issue this will be, assuming the leak returns or something else goes awry with the manifolds.

Any advice? Did I make a mistake? Should I plan on having the manifolds pulled off again and replaced, and am I risking damage to the engine if I do not? A buddy of mine at work (who I found out only recently is a long time Armada driver) warned me about something like ceramic breaking off and destroying my engine... sounded pretty scary but my mechanic says it's baloney. Not sure what to think about it now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 03:35 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Personally I would not lose any sleep over it.

It sounds like what you are doing right now is what therapists call "doubling down on your anxiety". (Google that! haha)

You are not the first guy to weld up a crack. (search for welded manifold Nissan Titan) Plenty of success stories, and as far as I have read none of them end in: "the repair chipped some ceramic material which made its way up the tube and past my exhaust valve into my combustion chamber causing catastrophic engine failure".

My '08 Armada has 130,000 miles and it is probably only a matter of time before I am in the same boat as you. (I have a feeling I will buy new stock parts so that the truck is only down minimal time and I get fresh catalytic converters)

-Beau

2008 Armada SE
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thanks, Beau, that's very reassuring. This is still something I'd like to get fixed right one of these days, but it's nice to know I'm not driving a ticking time bomb or anything.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode