LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Non Car Guy Needs Help!

Hi.
I admit that I don't know nearly as much as I should about my vehicle. I have a 2007 Armada LE non flex fuel. No extended warranty so I'll be footing the bill for whatever needs to be done, so hoping someone can direct me toward the most economical fix.

It recently began to lose power during stop & go driving. Would drive fine at continuous interstate speeds. Then after about a week, it began to lose power no matter what type of driving. I could turn it off, wait 5 minutes and then it would crank fine and drive fine for another 30 min to an hour.

Took it to dealership this past Thursday. They said I have a severely cracked exhaust manifold. Repair quoted at over $3k.

So, a few questions...
Is that a fair price?
Are headers recommended instead? If so, any certain brands/models best for my application?

I'm thinking I might be able to get a better price through an independent mechanic. Does anyone know of a good Armada mechanic in the Memphis area?

Thank you to anyone who might have some advice. I would appreciate any advice/sharing of knowledge.

Have a great day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 05:30 PM
SHIFT_Administrator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

Much better and much cheaper to replace manifolds with headers and custom B pipes. There are many threads here about the process. Search here for headers.
The bad manifolds may not be your only problems. You may have a bad ECU relay and/or fuel pump. Again, there are many threads here on those problems.

2004 Armada SE, Throttle body coolant bypass, Grounding kit, modified Volant CAI with Amsoil dry element, custom engine cover, trailer brake controller, Michelin M/S2s, custom lower grill, Silver Star headlights, Bilstein HD shocks, Power Stop Drilled/Slotted Rotors, ceramic pads, Goodridge SS brake lines, interior and back-up LEDs, PLM transmission pan, trans radiator cooler by-passed, all Amsoil synthetic lubricants, Nismo headers, custom 3" SS exhaust system with high flow metallic core cats, UpRev tuner version, 318 rear wheel HP.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Thanks, scr38. The service advisor didn't mention the ECU relay possibly being involved, but I don't think I'll go back to see...I think I'll find an independent mechanic to check that. I had actually mentioned the fuel pump to them when I took it in, just as a thought because as it would lose power, it would stay cranked/running, but just wouldn't go. And if I let off the accelerator and then pushed again, it was almost as if the vehicle would gasp for air or cough, so I thought it had to be that it was either not getting fuel or not getting air. But there is no indication that the mechanic checked any part of the fuel delivery system. After reading a lot of forum posts today and watching some Youtube videos on related to my Armada's problem, it seems like the exhaust manifolds are lucky to make it 50k miles before cracking. I guess making it almost 10 years with absolutely no problems until now is a blessing!

Is there a specialized type of shop that could help me determine if there are any ECU relay problems? and specialize shops re: fuel pump problems?

Again...if anyone in the Memphis TN area knows of a reputable shop that is great with Armadas, please let me know.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 07:36 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)

Garage
I would resort to replacing the exhaust manifolds as a last option as the problems you've mentioned are issues related to a failing fuel pump or ECU relay as scr38 has mentioned.

The ECU relay is an easy fix; part #284B7-CW29E is the replacement relay.
Here's more information about the relay fix: IPDM ECU Relay

Regarding the fuel pump, I'd find another Nissan dealership and have them check the VIN on your armada because there was a fuel pump recall for 05-08 models.

"I may think I have inalienable rights to be alive and happy but I don't - life is a blessing."

- Terrence McNally
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Thanks PrimoV8.
As far as the relay, I've ordered a new relay from thenismoshopo.com. Is it as simple as unplugging the old one and plugging in the new one?

Also, I had another service dept. look up recalls for me. They said there are no recalls for my fuel pump. So I'll take it to and indy mechanic. But, before I take it to have the fuel pump looked at, just so I'll know when the mechanic gives me his diagnosis, is there a tell-tale sign that the fuel pump is bad, or he be basing the diagnosis on what the vehicle is doing (or not doing)?

Again, thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 03:51 PM
SHIFT_Administrator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

Check the fuel pump pressure. It should maintain 51 PSI.

2004 Armada SE, Throttle body coolant bypass, Grounding kit, modified Volant CAI with Amsoil dry element, custom engine cover, trailer brake controller, Michelin M/S2s, custom lower grill, Silver Star headlights, Bilstein HD shocks, Power Stop Drilled/Slotted Rotors, ceramic pads, Goodridge SS brake lines, interior and back-up LEDs, PLM transmission pan, trans radiator cooler by-passed, all Amsoil synthetic lubricants, Nismo headers, custom 3" SS exhaust system with high flow metallic core cats, UpRev tuner version, 318 rear wheel HP.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode