Drove 65 in 4x4 now have a bad smell - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Drove 65 in 4x4 now have a bad smell

Hey I'm looking for some help. I drove my armada through the woods had it in 4 wheel high then drove 65 on the high way. Got back to town and noticed a bad smell when I stopped and turn. Idk how to describe the smell I check transmission fluid but it's fine. Idk what it is but it's still smelling. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 11:02 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)

what year and model?

do you drive off road often?

any mods done to your engine?

any leaks on the ground up under the engine?

did you drive in 4WH on the highway ALL the way to your final destination? did you drive in 4WH anytime on the highway? if so you may be smelling burning differential fluid. dont know this based on what you wrote here...

car should not be driven on 4WH at high speeds on dry pavement.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 01:50 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

Did you have it in 4Hi on the highway? That would not be good. Only Auto should be used on paved roads. 4hi/lo is for off-road/gravel/sand only etc. It would most likely be differential fluid or transfer case gear oil that may be burnt up.

2015 SV 4x4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Plasti-dip - Tow Mirrors -

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 03:01 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeutah View Post
Did you have it in 4Hi on the highway? That would not be good. Only Auto should be used on paved roads. 4hi/lo is for off-road/gravel/sand only etc. It would most likely be differential fluid or transfer case gear oil that may be burnt up.
Why would driving in 4Hi on the highway be bad? I thought the issue with driving on the highway in 4Hi was making tight turns that would bind up the system. Probably not going to do that at 65mph!!

I've never done this with our Armada, but before I had the Armada, I had a 2nd generation Toyota 4Runner. I would drive that truck all day long at highway speeds in 4Hi when the road conditions were changing from dry to ice to wet and back. I would always put it back in 2WD when going around corners.

- 12 Armada Platinum 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 18 Tesla Model 3, Long Range RWD
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans (kids car)
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 71,000 miles (play car)
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 09:31 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfamily View Post
Why would driving in 4Hi on the highway be bad? I thought the issue with driving on the highway in 4Hi was making tight turns that would bind up the system. Probably not going to do that at 65mph!!

I've never done this with our Armada, but before I had the Armada, I had a 2nd generation Toyota 4Runner. I would drive that truck all day long at highway speeds in 4Hi when the road conditions were changing from dry to ice to wet and back. I would always put it back in 2WD when going around corners.
Because if he left it in 4H from the dirt road to getting on the highway, it wasn't all straight driving. It doesn't take that much of a right or left turn to start binding the transfer case. The manual also specifically mentions 4H being reserved for rock, sand or snowy roads. 4 Hi locks in the transfer case. Vehicles with full time all wheel drive have limited slip differential or clutches in the transfer case to prevent locking up the gears, which I know the Toyota Sequoia has, and possibly some of the 4Runners as well. Not the Armada or any Nissan with transfer cases that I know of. The smaller Nissan's with AWD have clutch variety rear wheel drive, only engaged when starting from a stop, or when front wheels slip.

2015 SV 4x4

-
- Plasti-dip - Tow Mirrors -

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode