2004 smells like its running rich and getting PO420 code - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

2004 smells like its running rich and getting PO420 code

Hey guys, just picked up another 2004, the previous owner did the airbox mod, thats the only thing thats not completely stock on the whole car, would this extra air coming into the engine throw off the mixture to give it a "Rich" smell coming from the exhaust? it smells like an old 1980's truck! It runs perfect though, doesn't have an exhaust leak like my last 2004 and gets better gas mileage than my old one. so i really dont know what the issue is? The only other thing its throwing the po420 code, would this be realated to the airbox mod ? or possibly the catalytic converter clogged up causing the "rich" smell ? any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 08:04 PM
SHIFT_Administrator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

The 420 code indicates that the driver's side front cat is not operating correctly. That could cause the smell. The air box mod won't cause this. I would clean the MAF sensor to see if that helps.

2004 Armada SE, Throttle body coolant bypass, Grounding kit, modified Volant CAI with Amsoil dry element, custom engine cover, trailer brake controller, Michelin M/S2s, custom lower grill, Silver Star headlights, Bilstein HD shocks, Power Stop Drilled/Slotted Rotors, ceramic pads, Goodridge SS brake lines, interior and back-up LEDs, PLM transmission pan, trans radiator cooler by-passed, all Amsoil synthetic lubricants, Nismo headers, custom 3" SS exhaust system with high flow metallic core cats, UpRev tuner version, 318 rear wheel HP.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 08:35 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntown3 View Post
The only other thing its throwing the po420 code, would this be realated to the airbox mod ? or possibly the catalytic converter clogged up causing the "rich" smell ? any insight would be greatly appreciated.
An intake mod can change the mixture and possibly foul the front cats. Its also possible that it doesn't have OEM spark plugs which can cause incomplete combustion and foul the front cats.

Do you live in an emissions State/County?

2005 Armada LE 207K miles,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, rear cats deleted and replaced with 2 x Vibrant 1792 resonators, Magnaflow 22", stock pipes, dual tips, home made K&N RU-3270 intake,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with 6000K 75W HIDs,
, 36W LED projector fogs, LEDs all around,
, 400W rear amp + Bose 161s in back,
, 'Armada' emblem wrap for the hamburger,
for interior exhaust fans and continuous battery charging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Thanks guys, I actually found the car has a K&N air filter in it too, i live in TN so no emissions to worry with but just want to make sure its running at its peak performance. I will clean the MAF tonight or tomorrow and report back if that helps. Thanks for the suggestions.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 11:05 AM
SHIFT_Administrator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

The K&N is an oiled filter. Excessive oil will foul the MAF sensor. Get a can of MAF cleaner to clean it. Be sure you install it correctly, the bright side goes up.

2004 Armada SE, Throttle body coolant bypass, Grounding kit, modified Volant CAI with Amsoil dry element, custom engine cover, trailer brake controller, Michelin M/S2s, custom lower grill, Silver Star headlights, Bilstein HD shocks, Power Stop Drilled/Slotted Rotors, ceramic pads, Goodridge SS brake lines, interior and back-up LEDs, PLM transmission pan, trans radiator cooler by-passed, all Amsoil synthetic lubricants, Nismo headers, custom 3" SS exhaust system with high flow metallic core cats, UpRev tuner version, 318 rear wheel HP.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 12:44 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 46 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr38 View Post
The K&N is an oiled filter. Excessive oil will foul the MAF sensor. Get a can of MAF cleaner to clean it. Be sure you install it correctly, the bright side goes up.
Good point. I ran into this problem one time with the K&N on my old Pathfinder. After a cleaning I got a code a few days later.. turns out I over-oiled it and fouled the MAF.

Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. -- Philippians 4:8
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

I got the MAF sensor cleaned the first of the week and have put about 150 miles on it and still getting the code to pop up after about 20 miles of driving and no noticible difference in the "rich" smell. Any advice on what to troubleshoot next ? i was thinking of switching the downstream O2 sensor from the left to the right side to see if the code "switched" sides to rule that cheap fix out of just needing a new o2 sensor. I know thats probably a long shot but with the track record mine have had of little electrical glitches i dont see it too far fetched to try. Any other input ? Thanks!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 09:29 AM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Most likely you have cracked manifolds. Very common with these trucks...

Cajun Bpipes | shreveport, LA 71129

Uprev Guru for Cajun B Pipes
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Update: Just got it back from Dealership that ran a diagnostic on it and turns out the cat is bad which is probably from manifold crack and causing engine to run overly rich. Trying to figure out now if i want to attempt putting on new manifold/cat or letting the dealer do it. Thanks for the help.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 04:02 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntown3 View Post
Update: Just got it back from Dealership that ran a diagnostic on it and turns out the cat is bad which is probably from manifold crack and causing engine to run overly rich. Trying to figure out now if i want to attempt putting on new manifold/cat or letting the dealer do it. Thanks for the help.
Give us a call before you put expensive dealership manifolds back on there..

Cajun Bpipes | shreveport, LA 71129

Uprev Guru for Cajun B Pipes

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode