Smells with out A/C running - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Smells with out A/C running

Had this in my 2004 Armada (and all cars) but my 2017 is much worse.
When A/C is on, no problem. When I turn it off, I get this musty, body odor smell coming out the vents. I changed the in-cabin filters and didn't help at all. Anyone know where the smell is coming from? and how to get rid of it?

Or is it best just to let A/C run all the time?

2004 Armada LE Black - Sold but miss it!
2017 Armada SL Pearl White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 12:16 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)

So, are you running the A/C and then switch to outside air?

If this is the case, you are smelling bacteria on the condenser coils. This happens to a lot of cars, not just armada.

Lots of discussion over the interwebs about this (as well as this forum).

A quick starter link:

https://www.carsdirect.com/car-maint...-how-to-fix-it

What i do when i am coming home or coming to my location and im running the ac, ill turnoff the ac and let the outside air come through the vents. If its hot/humid enough you will smell the bacteria. After a minute or two it goes away (fan speed full). So true last 2-3 minutes before im stopping i turn the ac off but keep vent on.

This is a good idea because the bacteria and mold wont have a chance to i live and grow on the coils over time. Doing it this way ive not had any issues.

There are cleaning products you spray into the condenser drip tube or into the blower in the dash that can help, but be careful not to damage anything internally.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marctronixx View Post
So, are you running the A/C and then switch to outside air?

If this is the case, you are smelling bacteria on the condenser coils. This happens to a lot of cars, not just armada.

Lots of discussion over the interwebs about this (as well as this forum).

A quick starter link:

https://www.carsdirect.com/car-maint...-how-to-fix-it

What i do when i am coming home or coming to my location and im running the ac, ill turnoff the ac and let the outside air come through the vents. If its hot/humid enough you will smell the bacteria. After a minute or two it goes away (fan speed full). So true last 2-3 minutes before im stopping i turn the ac off but keep vent on.

This is a good idea because the bacteria and mold wont have a chance to i live and grow on the coils over time. Doing it this way ive not had any issues.

There are cleaning products you spray into the condenser drip tube or into the blower in the dash that can help, but be careful not to damage anything internally.
It's normally on the fresh air setting. But it's when I press the A/C button to turn off A/C but the fan is still running. It starts to smell right away. Just wondering what why it doesn't smell when A/C is on.

2004 Armada LE Black - Sold but miss it!
2017 Armada SL Pearl White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 05:33 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)

hi,

if you read the link i posted , it explains..

Quote:
Mold and Bacteria

Probably one of the reasons why there is a distinct smell in your air conditioner when you turn it on is the growth of mold in your air vents. Smells of mildew in your car may be caused by the growth of bacteria.

As the car becomes older, bacteria, mold, fungi, and micro-organisms can start to grow. The growth of these bacteria is often behind the dash panel on the evaporator. This causes an unpleasant odor coming out the air conditioner unit. Also, if the air conditioner is not used as often then this can also cause the growth of bacteria.

Turning on your air conditioner to maximum often may also cause bacteria growth due to the excess water that is dripping in your unit.

To fix this problem, locate the drain tube in your A/C unit. Make sure that is working properly. Use an anti-bacterial treatment that will destroy bacteria that is growing behind your dash panel. Inject the treatment solution into the air conditioner case. It is advisable to turn off the car air conditioner for awhile and let the fan run instead for a few minutes. This will help evaporate the water on the coils of your unit.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode