Anyone installed manifold/converter bank 1 yourself ? - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Anyone installed manifold/converter bank 1 yourself ?

2004 needs new bank one converter which is the one on attached to the manifold. The Nissan dealer told me i could buy one from RockAuto, ebay or wherever and they would install it for around $300. I have found several in the $180-350 range online. Not 100 percent sure on which brand to buy. Suggestions would be appreciated on that too! However im trying to save all the money i can with Christmas right around the corner. Ive watched a couple youtube videos and read several threads on how to do it. I honestly see it being a pretty tough job and expect having trouble with a few bolts being stubburn, hard to reach etc. I've done harder things on vehicles but the work space is scaring me a little on this job. I just wanted to see if you guys thought it would be worth doing myself or at least attempting always knowing i can just load it up on trailer and take 15 minutes down the road to the dealer if i cant do it myself? I was really suprised when they said labor would only be around 300 and they would install a non-Nissan part. Thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 09:01 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

yes i have installed manifolds myself, but i used low mile nissan manifolds from a nissan titan so i can't comment on the aftermarket factory manifolds. As for the job, it is not that bad and in my opinion the hardest part of the job was taking the heat shield off the manifold. The bolts are tiny, i think 10mm, but are rusted and tight...after getting the bolts off the heat shield you have to bend the chit out of it to get it out which is difficult given the space you have to work with. Other than that it's not that hard, just takes a little innovation to budge some of the manifold bolts loose. Also, this part might scare you as it did for me, but you have to raise the engine a few inches in order to take the manifold/cat assembly off. Just loosen the left and right engine mount bolts but don't take them off or you will have trouble threading them back in. while the engine is lifted enough, pull the old manifold off and slip the new one on. Fasten some bolts to secure the new manifold and you can lower the engine back down. You can tighten the engine mount bolts back. Just install everything back in reverse order.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

04 Nissan Armada all stock

06 Dodge Charger R/T
[email protected]
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 03:13 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 28 Post(s)

Is that your video at youtube?i watched it 4x(i watched it yesterday for the last time)..need to help a friend on his titan before he gets crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 03:15 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 28 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsoto80 View Post
yes i have installed manifolds myself, but i used low mile nissan manifolds from a nissan titan so i can't comment on the aftermarket factory manifolds. As for the job, it is not that bad and in my opinion the hardest part of the job was taking the heat shield off the manifold. The bolts are tiny, i think 10mm, but are rusted and tight...after getting the bolts off the heat shield you have to bend the chit out of it to get it out which is difficult given the space you have to work with. Other than that it's not that hard, just takes a little innovation to budge some of the manifold bolts loose. Also, this part might scare you as it did for me, but you have to raise the engine a few inches in order to take the manifold/cat assembly off. Just loosen the left and right engine mount bolts but don't take them off or you will have trouble threading them back in. while the engine is lifted enough, pull the old manifold off and slip the new one on. Fasten some bolts to secure the new manifold and you can lower the engine back down. You can tighten the engine mount bolts back. Just install everything back in reverse order.
Is that your video at youtube?i watched it 4x(i watched it yesterday for the last time)..need to help a friend on his titan before he gets crazy.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 03:34 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie1978 View Post
no. i wasn't aware they had a video on youtube for this job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

04 Nissan Armada all stock

06 Dodge Charger R/T
[email protected]
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 11:13 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 68 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntown3 View Post
2004 needs new bank one converter which is the one on attached to the manifold. The Nissan dealer told me i could buy one from RockAuto, ebay or wherever and they would install it for around $300. I have found several in the $180-350 range online. Not 100 percent sure on which brand to buy. Suggestions would be appreciated on that too! However im trying to save all the money i can with Christmas right around the corner. Ive watched a couple youtube videos and read several threads on how to do it. I honestly see it being a pretty tough job and expect having trouble with a few bolts being stubburn, hard to reach etc. I've done harder things on vehicles but the work space is scaring me a little on this job. I just wanted to see if you guys thought it would be worth doing myself or at least attempting always knowing i can just load it up on trailer and take 15 minutes down the road to the dealer if i cant do it myself? I was really suprised when they said labor would only be around 300 and they would install a non-Nissan part. Thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
One thought is:

Definitely get the cats out of the manifolds, especially in a non emissions state. They'll only present a continuous problem and a potential threat to the life of the engine. I'd go for long tube headers as a starting point (some stainless long tube headers go for as little as $200/pair with good reviews), then figure out what your state requires as far as cleaning up the emissions. If no emissions reqs, get an AFR reading to confirm you are close enough, then you're done forever.

Wish there was a better answer.

2005 Armada LE 207K miles,
, rear cats deleted and replaced with 2 x Vibrant 1792 resonators, Magnaflow 22", stock pipes, dual tips, home made K&N RU-3270 intake,
with 6000K 75W HIDs,
, 36W LED projector fogs, LEDs all around,
, 400W rear amp + Bose 161s in back,
, 'Armada' emblem wrap for the hamburger,
for interior exhaust fans and continuous battery charging.

Last edited by SGreenlyn; 11-09-2017 at 11:16 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 09:14 AM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGreenlyn View Post
One thought is:

Definitely get the cats out of the manifolds, especially in a non emissions state. They'll only present a continuous problem and a potential threat to the life of the engine. I'd go for long tube headers as a starting point (some stainless long tube headers go for as little as $200/pair with good reviews), then figure out what your state requires as far as cleaning up the emissions. If no emissions reqs, get an AFR reading to confirm you are close enough, then you're done forever.

Wish there was a better answer.
If you don't have emissions testing the cheapest permanent fix is headers and uprev tuning. With headers you really do need the tune. If you're state requires an OBD2 scan for emissions testing then you also need catted B pipes to keep the CEL off. Replacing anything past that is up to you.

Uprev Guru for Cajun B Pipes

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode