Power Steering Hose Weeping - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Garage
Power Steering Hose Weeping

When it rains it pours it seems. I recently posted that our windshield washer reservoir had a small cut in it and was leaking. Got that fixed with plastic weld and no issues anymore. When I was doing last oil change and noticed washer fluid issue, I also noted what I thought was oil on skid plate and undercarriage.

Turns out the stupid power steering hose is weeping/leaking at the fitting where it converts to metal/aluminum line very close to the oil filter. I attached a picture for reference of the location of the leak.

Going to try some Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak as that was mentioned on Titan Talk. Will likely have to replace the power steering hose at some point.

It is quite annoying that Nissan simply refuses to change out problematic components when they are known issues. Off hand I can recall dealing with the following issues on our Nissans that the company never changed:

* Exhaust Manifolds- Cost us around $2,500 to replace on our 2005 Armada. Knew this when we purchased 2013 Armada and will be doing headers instead this time.

* Power Steering hose- Known issue on every year First gen Titan and Armada. As far as I can tell, this hose has never been redesigned.

* Windshield washer reservoir- Leaks because the plastic mount for screw is too large for tank and it had to be forced in place. No reason the production specs on the cheap mount could not be changed.

* Number 1 Bearing Knock- Had this issue on my 2014 Maxima which resulted in engine being torn into on a 4,000 mile car. Again, a known issue for all 7th gen Maximas, and the same issue is now presenting itself in newer 8th gen models.

* Rocking Driver's Seat- Another prevalent Maxima issue. No reason it could not have been addressed by last year of 7th gen production.

In addition to these issues, we also have to deal with transmission cooler lines and leak behind oil filter due to crappy oem gasket.

Sorry for the long rant, I just wish Nissan would be willing to deal with these issues as they are identified instead of allowing them to remain on all model years. It is really annoying as, in my experience with my Chevy SS, even GM seems to update their components when a faulty part is identified, and in my prior experience, Toyota did the same when I owned my Camry. No reason Nissan cannot do the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3150.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	42665  

2013 Armada Platinum Reserve

2017 Chevy SS

2011 A5 Cab/quattro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 08:20 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheintze View Post
When it rains it pours it seems. I recently posted that our windshield washer reservoir had a small cut in it and was leaking. Got that fixed with plastic weld and no issues anymore. When I was doing last oil change and noticed washer fluid issue, I also noted what I thought was oil on skid plate and undercarriage.

Turns out the stupid power steering hose is weeping/leaking at the fitting where it converts to metal/aluminum line very close to the oil filter. I attached a picture for reference of the location of the leak.

Going to try some Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak as that was mentioned on Titan Talk. Will likely have to replace the power steering hose at some point.

It is quite annoying that Nissan simply refuses to change out problematic components when they are known issues. Off hand I can recall dealing with the following issues on our Nissans that the company never changed:

* Exhaust Manifolds- Cost us around $2,500 to replace on our 2005 Armada. Knew this when we purchased 2013 Armada and will be doing headers instead this time.

* Power Steering hose- Known issue on every year First gen Titan and Armada. As far as I can tell, this hose has never been redesigned.

* Windshield washer reservoir- Leaks because the plastic mount for screw is too large for tank and it had to be forced in place. No reason the production specs on the cheap mount could not be changed.

* Number 1 Bearing Knock- Had this issue on my 2014 Maxima which resulted in engine being torn into on a 4,000 mile car. Again, a known issue for all 7th gen Maximas, and the same issue is now presenting itself in newer 8th gen models.

* Rocking Driver's Seat- Another prevalent Maxima issue. No reason it could not have been addressed by last year of 7th gen production.

In addition to these issues, we also have to deal with transmission cooler lines and leak behind oil filter due to crappy oem gasket.

Sorry for the long rant, I just wish Nissan would be willing to deal with these issues as they are identified instead of allowing them to remain on all model years. It is really annoying as, in my experience with my Chevy SS, even GM seems to update their components when a faulty part is identified, and in my prior experience, Toyota did the same when I owned my Camry. No reason Nissan cannot do the same.
If it makes you feel any better I have more in repair cost sunk into to my 2011 BMW than I paid for the car. My Toyota's sucked too, they just plain wore out after 100K miles. My VW Passat was a horrible car. My Nissans have been my best deals and most durable and reliable cars, though not perfect. Well, my 98 Pathfinder was actually perfect, no repair costs.

Just got majorly rear-ended in my Armada - luckily she hit the tow hitch and it sunk into her bumper completely destroying it. Not a single scratch to the old Armada, not even on the tow hitch. But it did get slammed. I love this truck, hope it keeps going.

It is sad that the few major design flaws are so easy and cheap to fix preemptively, but so costly if left to run their course. It's pretty obviously a dealer maintenance welfare program.

2005 Armada LE 207K miles,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, rear cats deleted and replaced with 2 x Vibrant 1792 resonators, Magnaflow 22", stock pipes, dual tips, home made K&N RU-3270 intake,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with 6000K 75W HIDs,
, 36W LED projector fogs, LEDs all around,
, 400W rear amp + Bose 161s in back,
, 'Armada' emblem wrap for the hamburger,
for interior exhaust fans and continuous battery charging.

Last edited by SGreenlyn; 12-22-2017 at 08:25 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 07:30 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)

The cheapo nissan power steering hose is normal. I am on my third nissan one (135k miles), just because they are easy. Mine's leaking again. So I may go find a manufacturer of stainless braided lines and see if they can make one. One problem is that the bottom is crimped rubber in metal, the top is just hose clamped. Probably saved nissan at least 5 cents per vehicle. If I buy it from nissan, there are the five middlemen mark ups to contend with. So web order it is this time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 01:16 PM
SHIFT_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I know this is old post, but you may want to check your rear bumper frame...mine rotted and broke. It didn't help that my daughter rear ended the hitch with my 14 Sentra,sending a SQUARE imprint into the front bumper reinforcement. It tweeked the Armada bumper, slightly downward. My point, is that bumper design catches all sorts of dirt and crap(don't ask me how), and the bumper internal brace(reinforcement) weakens over time and rots/bend. Good luck.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode