Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

can't fix code p1140

7K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  InFx 
#1 ·
Hey Gents!!

Currently have a 2008 QX56.

p1140 popped up and I purchased 2 vvt sensors from the dealer and i replaced them both. I reset the ecu but the p1140 is still popping up.

did some searching and found some trouble shooting tips.

I erased the code then swapped sensors from right to left to see if the code would follow and it did not. Still 1140. Is there another part in play that would be causing the code if both sensors are brand new?

thanks for your help!!

Rob

#8 ·
Sorry - visually checking the harness is good but I meant check the voltage. The code could be because the ecu isn't getting a signal, or a weak signal, from the sensor. Could be a bad ground, mouse chewed a wire etc. In that case it doesn't matter what you plug in there, it won't work. Since two new sensors plugged in there didn't fix the code the wiring may be the problem. The link above has good info on how to do that.

#4 ·
I read somewhere that you need to drive it for like 400+ miles for the vehicle to register. I had a similar issue with one of my cat sensor not being ready when I went to smog it. I had to drive my armada for 400-500 miles for it to reset and recognize it.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Thank you. I wish that was the case. We came back home from a visit to Canada recently. Roughly 1300 mile run in the time we were there a couple of weeks back. I swapped the sensors out before I left.

What sucks is that I can’t renew the inspection until the SES is fixed.

Is there another part involved like a solenoid?

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi yes. before and after my trip to Canada

Not sure if you saw this page but the tech has a diagnosis process https://www.justanswer.com/nissan/45gk1-p1140-code-intake-timing-valve-control-ckt-bank-1.html

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk
Thanks for this. Will do this over the weekend and post update!

Sorry - visually checking the harness is good but I meant check the voltage. The code could be because the ecu isn't getting a signal, or a weak signal, from the sensor. Could be a bad ground, mouse chewed a wire etc. In that case it doesn't matter what you plug in there, it won't work. Since two new sensors plugged in there didn't fix the code the wiring may be the problem. The link above has good info on how to do that.
Thank you again! Lets see what happens over the weekend

Guys i know its been a while. After racking my brain on this i ended up taking it to the dealer. They tell me its the vvt sprocket and its a $1400 job. Does that make sense to you guys? whats involved to change it? please let me know.

thank you!

also has any replaced the vvt solenoid to fix this problem?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.