Describe the symptoms of an over filled tranny to me. - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

4Likes
  • 1 Post By F4N4EVR
  • 1 Post By Sniper X
  • 1 Post By rsoto80
  • 1 Post By KingRJ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Describe the symptoms of an over filled tranny to me.

I just found out mine is overfilled by about 1.5 qts, or so and the bolt supposed to hold the dipstick in is missing. Fluid is clean and clear and was just done before I got the vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 06:53 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)

Over filled valve bodies will exhibit strange shifting rpm points, and maybe higher temps. You can either climb underneath when cold and loosten the plug and dump a little (level ground), or if you have a pump with a tube that will fit down the dipstick hole, you can reduce it that way. When checking the level, make sure the engine is running, at normal operating temp. The transmission is in reverse, someone is in the car with their foot on the brake, and that the emergency brake is fully depressed.
marctronixx likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Thanks, ill check it tomorrow.

Out of curiosity, would it read over or under what it really is if it was fully warm but in neutral and sitting still?
marctronixx likes this.

Last edited by marctronixx; 04-11-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 09:01 AM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 37 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4N4EVR View Post
Over filled valve bodies will exhibit strange shifting rpm points, and maybe higher temps. You can either climb underneath when cold and loosten the plug and dump a little (level ground), or if you have a pump with a tube that will fit down the dipstick hole, you can reduce it that way. When checking the level, make sure the engine is running, at normal operating temp. The transmission is in reverse, someone is in the car with their foot on the brake, and that the emergency brake is fully depressed.
No. Transmission should be at operating temp, run through all the gears then the gear selector should be placed in PARK. Attached is for a 2011 model. OP you didn't indicate your model year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Transmission Fluid Level Check Procedure.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	44378  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Ok, so it's actually UNDERFILLED! My trans is short shifting, and won't hit passing gear or lockdown. So is that probably it? I'll post pic of the stick....if I can. The place that serviced the trans before I got it did this and ever since its been shirt shifting and no kickdown.

If it is under filled it will shift weird too. If the fluid was just changed, and it looks pretty good in the pic for what that's worth, you can just start adding the correct fluid in and checking until you get it in spec and go from there.

If it was my car, and I had any doubts about that service at all, I'd buy 9-12 quarts and start a series of drain and fills. An hour or two of time and under $100 is cheap insurance on a transmission. Worth the piece of mind.

The lady I got it from just had the trans serviced at the local Toyota dealer. Two weeks before I got it. She says this problem of short shifting, and not going into passing gear or having any kick down at all has been happening since that trans service. I bought a quart of the specified trans fluid so will top it off carefully today and see if that takes care of it. Is it normal for the trans fluid to have a little tiny bubbles in it if it's underfilled? I seem to remember seeing little tiny bubbles on the end of the trans dipstick when I first pulled it out.

Ok, REWIND! It was over filled after checking it per the attached thumbnail that someone else posted. At least if it was supposed to be between those two notches in the stick it was. It was way above that little area that is nurled into the stock. So I let about two quarts out and checked it per the guide, and it was almost up to the second notch. Is that where it is supposed to be? Or on the nurled area somewhere? It is not getting over temp per the gauge but it is still not shifting right or kickdown at all....now I can shift by hand and it works right but it won't shift past 3K in the bottom three gears, or go into passing gear or kickdown at all after it gets into 4th.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180415_081950_1523806409069.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	44425  

Last edited by marctronixx; 04-15-2018 at 07:30 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 11:15 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

toyota might have put the wrong fluid in it. These transmissions are picky and Nissan ATF is whats highly recommended. I don't mess with aftermarket or universal ATF.
marctronixx likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

04 Nissan Armada all stock

06 Dodge Charger R/T
[email protected]
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 12:35 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 33 Post(s)

Fluid is not your issue. You are describing an electronic issue. "My trans is short shifting, and won't hit passing gear or lockdown" These are not usually fluid related issues, everything you are describing is controlled electrically. BTW this is NOT correct!!! \/\/\/\/\/ Not really sure where one gets this information.... smh You need to have it diagnosed professionally.

"When checking the level, make sure the engine is running, at normal operating temp. The transmission is in reverse, someone is in the car with their foot on the brake, and that the emergency brake is fully depressed."
marctronixx likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 12:12 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

You may have symptoms of radiator failure.

Stop driving til you figure it out. Pull over if you're driving now.

If/when the interior main radiator bladder cracks, the one that keeps coolant separated from transmission oil (which Nissan stupidly flows through the main radiator), you'll need to replace the radiator yourself before driving again or have it towed to a repair shop and you'll give them no choice but to replace the transmission since they don't understand the Armada/Titan (neither does the dealer).

If this is the prob, you might get lucky if you act fast and only have to replace the radiator and do a flush of both engine coolant and transmission oil, or you might also need to replace transmission control board (if it can't be cleaned and restored). I think new boards are around $1100, so it might be smarter to suck up a tranny rebuild that includes a new board.

There are youtube videos.

When the interior radiator bladder cracks, coolant enters the transmission oil and the first sign of transmission failure is usually misbehavior of the shifting control circuit board on top of the transmission when water-based engine coolant works its way through the seals and corrodes the board, oil wont. A fouled control board will quickly and randomly destroy the transmission, as will coolant breaking down the oil (bubbles/froth in the tyranny oil).

Cost me $4,500 a few years ago, I didn't understand the problem til it was too late.

After you're done, add a separate Tranny cooler (see my sig) and reroute the cooling lines to it, alone. $50 and 45 mins to DIY--super easy. Your transmission will run cooler all the time which is great, but engine coolant will no longer warm up the tranny oil in very cold weather, something to consider. I don't think most cars do that anyway, maybe Nissan does it because of the high towing capacity.

Everyone who has not rerouted their transmission lines should do it ASAP, IMO. Impending transmission failure is definitely worse than not warming transmission oil fast enough for arctic towing, and the normal operating temperature of the transmission will be greatly reduced, extending tranny life on top of fixing this, a little too profitable, manufacturer "defect."

Nissan's radiator interior bladder MTBF seems to be around 130K miles.

2005 Armada LE 207K miles,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, rear cats deleted and replaced with 2 x Vibrant 1792 resonators, Magnaflow 22", stock pipes, dual tips, home made K&N RU-3270 intake,
with 6000K 75W HIDs,
, 36W LED projector fogs, LEDs all around,
, 400W rear amp + Bose 161s in back,
, 'Armada' emblem wrap for the hamburger,
for interior exhaust fans and continuous battery charging.

Last edited by SGreenlyn; 04-19-2018 at 12:38 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode