Switching from 5W30 to 0W20 - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)

Switching from 5W30 to 0W20

I drive a 2012 QX56 with 125,750 miles on odometer as of today. Infiniti recommends 5W30 for this engine.

Last week I decided to be reading about oils. And did some research and just thought of this.

The new QX body style started in 2011 and has always had 5W30 as recommended oil.

Then in 2016, Infiniti does a facelift on the QX and NOT a change in the engine or transmission, BUT now they recommend 0W20 for the same engine. I have tried to see if they did make any change(s) on the new engine. I cannot find any. The engine is the same 7 speed 400hp in my 2012 that is in the 2018 QX. Please, someone correct me here if I am wrong.

But why does the 2016 QX and up use 0W20, instead of the 5W30 that? 2017 Armada and up too with same engines uses 0W20.

Well, after some more reading I realized the main reason is TO IMPROVE FUEL ECONOMY.

Then if you look across car manufacturers, it seems all cars are all going with 0W20. I think the main reason is fast flow at start up and gas saving.

Based on all my personal research that I have done so far, I have decided that since I have the same engine as the 2016 and up, I am planning to probably do my next oil change with 0W20, instead of the manufacturer's recommended 5W30.

Why? Because I see I have the same engine that is in the 2016 QX80 and up which uses 0W20. So, I do not think I will have any problems.

Any thoughts?

My Build/Maintenance/Modification thread..., Aiming for 250K on odometer.
2012 Infiniti QX56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
... KING OF THE ROAD
2008 Nissan Maxima SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
... CATCH ME IF YOU CAN

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 12:37 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

You've managed to rack up 125K. I'd stick with what's working. With that mileage, clearances have probably opened up some, so now is not the time to make a change to thinner oil.

I doubt you would notice the difference in fuel economy, and there's no way of knowing if things were changed like bearing clearances, etc. for the thinner oil.
marctronixx likes this.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 11:06 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

i would just stick with 5w30. You probably won't even notice a difference in fuel economy. You'd benefit more by running the tires a few psi higher. If you switch to 0w30, you might might notice an increased chatter from the valvetrain and timing chain.
marctronixx likes this.

04 Nissan Armada all stock

06 Dodge Charger R/T
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 11:29 AM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Garage
Nissan may have made changes to the oil pressure, passages and clearances without notifying the general public. :/
I would stick to what your engine calls for. The Japanese are freaky about their lubricants. I worked for Idemitsu Lubricants so I have a little insight into the world of Japanese oils.

Paul
marctronixx likes this.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 01:09 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

0W 20 has lower viscosity which means lower internal resistance for (1) slightly better MPG and (2) increased engine wear.

Both sell more cars.

2005 Armada LE 207K miles,
, rear cats deleted and replaced with 2 x Vibrant 1792 resonators, Magnaflow 22", stock pipes, dual tips, home made K&N RU-3270 intake,
with 6000K 75W HIDs,
, 36W LED projector fogs, LEDs all around,
, 400W rear amp + Bose 161s in back,
, 'Armada' emblem wrap for the hamburger,
for interior exhaust fans and continuous battery charging.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 09:57 AM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt601 View Post
Nissan may have made changes to the oil pressure, passages and clearances without notifying the general public. :/
I would stick to what your engine calls for. The Japanese are freaky about their lubricants. I worked for Idemitsu Lubricants so I have a little insight into the world of Japanese oils.

Paul

To piggy back on this...

I’m still using conventional oil in my qx 2012. Nissan changes the oil and i do it every 3k or 3 months, whichever hits first (usually time before mileage)

I have 75k. Am i foooish to keep using standard/conventional nissan spec oil , or should i move up to full synthetic?

And what about ester oil?

Appreciate comments/opinions.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by marctronixx View Post
To piggy back on this...

I’m still using conventional oil in my qx 2012. Nissan changes the oil and i do it every 3k or 3 months, whichever hits first (usually time before mileage)

I have 75k. Am i foooish to keep using standard/conventional nissan spec oil , or should i move up to full synthetic?

Very easy to answer this. Conventional has always been working for you. You can continue sticking to it. But if you are interested in trying synthetic, I can guarantee it will perform a bit better in protecting your engine than the conventional you have been using. That is also the reason why conventional oil change at the dealership may be $40, but full synthetic will cost you about $65. When you ask them why that price difference in both oils, their answer will definitely include that it is a better oil than the conventional oil.

It is a widespread fact that synthetic protects better than conventional, especially in high performing engines like ours. So, if you wish to go to synthetic, definitely go to synthetic.

BUT, conventional too is very fine especially as you are changing it every 3,000 miles.

Since you have a 2012, it means this is your 6th year of ownership and with only 75,000 miles on odometer, it means you do about 12,500 a year. That is great. So changing your fluid like that sounds like a great way to protect your engine better.

I know some people on the FJcruiser forum and I have also seen some people on bobistheoilguy forum that say they use only full synthetic and change it also every 3 months or every 3,000 miles. Whichever comes first.
marctronixx likes this.

2012 Infiniti QX56
... KING OF THE ROAD
2008 Nissan Maxima SE
... CATCH ME IF YOU CAN

Last edited by PetitFrereArmada; 04-18-2018 at 10:54 AM.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 11:22 AM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marctronixx View Post
To piggy back on this...

Iím still using conventional oil in my qx 2012. Nissan changes the oil and i do it every 3k or 3 months, whichever hits first (usually time before mileage)

I use synthetic in all my vehicles and change the oil every 5000 miles. I don't pay that much attention to time.

What I suggest that you do, if you are interested in determining how good your oil change regimen has, or has not, been for your engine, is to send the oil off to a lab to have it analyzed. Blackstone labs will do a standard oil analysis for $28.00. Go to their website and request sample kits. They are free. I have done several oil analyses on my 2002 BMW 530i and have been happy with the results and the information provided.

If you are interested in extended drain intervals (I am not) then you can pay addidional $$$ for a TBN analysis. Based on the TBN analysis the lab can make a recommendation on whether or not you can safely increase your drain interval. Many people that use the Mobil1 0w-40 that I use typically go 7500 miles between oil changes. I have stuck with 5000 even though my oil analyses have indicated I can go longer. Also, the attached indicates Pennzoil but I typically use Mobil1 0w-40 Euro formula. I took part in a Pennzoil market study and used their 5w-40 for a couple of oil changes. It was also good oil. Any oil that is BMW LL-01 compliant is good oil. Mobil1 0w-40 Euro was recently reformulated and lost their BMW LL-01 certification but I can't find a consistent supply of the Pennzoil LL-01 compliant oil so for now I'm still using the Mobil1.

Give the Blackstone oil analysis a try. It's good to have that information. I just changed the oil in my recently acquired 2011 Armada. The dealer had overfilled by about 1.5 quarts and used conventional oil and a cheap filter. I used the Mobil1 0w-40 and a Nissan filter and plan to send off a sample after about 5000 miles. I will post my results when I get them, in about 4500 more miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil Analysis May 2017 Redacted.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	44474  
marctronixx likes this.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
I use synthetic in all my vehicles and change the oil every 5000 miles. I don't pay that much attention to time.

What I suggest that you do, if you are interested in determining how good your oil change regimen has, or has not, been for your engine, is to send the oil off to a lab to have it analyzed. Blackstone labs will do a standard oil analysis for $28.00. Go to their website and request sample kits. They are free. I have done several oil analyses on my 2002 BMW 530i and have been happy with the results and the information provided.

If you are interested in extended drain intervals (I am not) then you can pay addidional $$$ for a TBN analysis. Based on the TBN analysis the lab can make a recommendation on whether or not you can safely increase your drain interval. Many people that use the Mobil1 0w-40 that I use typically go 7500 miles between oil changes. I have stuck with 5000 even though my oil analyses have indicated I can go longer. Also, the attached indicates Pennzoil but I typically use Mobil1 0w-40 Euro formula. I took part in a Pennzoil market study and used their 5w-40 for a couple of oil changes. It was also good oil. Any oil that is BMW LL-01 compliant is good oil. Mobil1 0w-40 Euro was recently reformulated and lost their BMW LL-01 certification but I can't find a consistent supply of the Pennzoil LL-01 compliant oil so for now I'm still using the Mobil1.

Give the Blackstone oil analysis a try. It's good to have that information. I just changed the oil in my recently acquired 2011 Armada. The dealer had overfilled by about 1.5 quarts and used conventional oil and a cheap filter. I used the Mobil1 0w-40 and a Nissan filter and plan to send off a sample after about 5000 miles. I will post my results when I get them, in about 4500 more miles.
Awesome!!!

Now this is the kind of thing I am looking for.

The 2011 Armada recommends 5W30 but you are using 0W40! Now that is a thick oil. I would love to get feedback from you on how the oil performs in the long run. How many miles do you ave on your Armada?

We all know that all of us who frequent the forums do take care of our vehicles. I do take good care of mine. And would not put anything to hurt it, but will try to put anything in it that I think could help it and extend its life.

Talking about oils, I think of all the oils we put in our cars, I am using a grade different from what the manufacturer recommends. And my QX drives great!

Power steering fluid, I use another kind of fluid. Front and rear differentials, I use another kind of fluid. Center differential, I use oem, but plan to go with a different brand. Transmission, I go oem.

Brake fluid, I use dot 4, instead of dot 3 that is recommended. As big and heavy as this car is, I need my brakes to always be in top form (along with brake pads and rotors) and very responsive when I need them. With the dot 4 brake fluid, my QX stops on demand!

Now to oil change. If anybody here has time, just goggle 2016 Infiniti QX80 Owners manual. It recommends 0W20 to be used as first choice. Then the next line says it also recommends 5W30 and that 5W30 meets manufacturer's warranty. Basically that switching from 0W20 to 5W30 on the brand new 2016 is covered under manufacturer's warranty. So, this makes me believe that Nissan did not change anything in this engine and hence, I can switch to 0W20 if I wish with no problem.

Link below... Go to page 561 which is also page under chapter 9 section 9-2. top right corner of this page.

https://owners.infinitiusa.com/conte...ner-manual.pdf

It is a widespread thing that car manufacturers are all going to 0W20 because of fuel mileage requirements. They claim it helps gives you better gas mileage. But the oil is very thin and so does not protect your engine as well as a 5W30 would protect it in the long run. The only reason now that I am feeling reluctant to use the 0W20 is just that my car is old and so engine protection and longevity makes 5W30 (or now that I think of it, maybe 10W30) a better choice for my QX with high mileage.
marctronixx likes this.

2012 Infiniti QX56
... KING OF THE ROAD
2008 Nissan Maxima SE
... CATCH ME IF YOU CAN

Last edited by PetitFrereArmada; 04-18-2018 at 12:39 PM.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 12:46 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)

All good points.

I troll BITOG forums but don’t seem any discussion on our particular car.

To address some follow up that pertains to me..

I dont care about longer oil intervals. This is the main reason ive been on old school conventional Dino oil, because im old school and do the 3k every 3 months mantra.

I don’t see enough evidence to suggest that IF... IF... IF oil is changed at 3k/3months, full syn does more to help the engine than using conventional.

I’m too lazy to try to get oil out the car to have it tested—i know this is a good way to see how your engine is behaving.

I dont even know if a service writer would even allow a tech to save some oil to give to me, since i dont change the oil.

On the other hand, i want to keep the car for a long time (tired of car notes)so perhaps investing in full synthetic may be good cheap insurance.

Taking the car in this Saturday for the 75k service (its at 74K currently but its time for oili change so ill knock all this out) so im still debating on going full syn or staying conventional... i know once you go to full syn you should not go back to conventional.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode