User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Exhausted

Good morning I just signed up today. 2005 Armada. Cracked manifolds. Very low budget but I ordered a set of original similar not headers. My question is why isn't there a flex pipe in these things, they are mounted solid and there's a lot of weight hanging off the end of that manifold. I am a long ways from being an engineer I admit that. But it looks to me like the vibration would break them more so than the heat. With the torque of the engine raising and lowering the exhaust system I think there needs to be room for movement in the exhaust pipes. I've read forms up one side and down the other and don't see where anyone has had this thought. My new parts will be in this week. If there's some reason I should be discouraged from putting flex pipes in below the first cat's let me know. And I thank you very much for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 01:30 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Garage
Look into Cajun Bpipes. I'm pulling the trigger on the whole system next week. Its pushing two grand but I'm not into doing the job twice. From what I have read it's futile to replace the manifolds with the same design. A flex pipe may help but unless use stainless you will have corrosion at the welds pretty quickly. Most muffler shops use plain old migs and while it may last a year or two it's not worth it. For 1500.00 you can do headers and the uprev tune. Add the full exhaust it's just over 1900.00
A lot of money but cheaper than OE and you will have 5 tunes built into the truck with around 80 more horsepowers!

Paul
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 09:26 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmada0415 View Post
Good morning I just signed up today. 2005 Armada. Cracked manifolds. Very low budget but I ordered a set of original similar not headers. My question is why isn't there a flex pipe in these things, they are mounted solid and there's a lot of weight hanging off the end of that manifold. I am a long ways from being an engineer I admit that. But it looks to me like the vibration would break them more so than the heat. With the torque of the engine raising and lowering the exhaust system I think there needs to be room for movement in the exhaust pipes. I've read forms up one side and down the other and don't see where anyone has had this thought. My new parts will be in this week. If there's some reason I should be discouraged from putting flex pipes in below the first cat's let me know. And I thank you very much for your time.
Exactly! I completely agree with you on this. I'm ordering a new passenger side exhaust manifold from rock auto and where both manifolds bolt to the B-Pipe, I'm going to put longer bolts(with nuts and flange bolt springs to allow movement in the system as/if needed. My Suburban has these and actually, all my past vehicles have had some sort of flex pipe or flange bolt springs to allow movement.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode