User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

transmission sticking

I have an 05 Aramada and when I pulled up outside my house I tired to put it into reverse. it would not go. Tried several times even tuning the engine on and off by leaving it in neutral. eventually it finally went into reverse and park has anybody got an idea what may be causing this. the only thing I can think of is low transmission oil .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 01:50 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)

When you put the trans in reverse, it doesn't activate the pump like when you put it in drive. Nissan oem matic J/S fluid is only good for about 5000 miles. I just had a trans line blow. Coasted to a stop in front of O'reillys. They recommended Valvoline Maxlife fluid. I refilled it (optional deep pan) and put it in reverse to check the fluid. Fluid dip stick said full. Minimum to no performance in reverse... Double checked the level- full! Hmmm. Put it in drive, fluid disappeared off bottom of dip stick. Added 3 more quarts to get it up to full while in drive. Test drove it through all gears, added 3 more quarts, level stabilized.
Observations-
Oem matic S had 5000 miles on it. I change nissan oem fluids every 15k miles because all nissan spec quality is bottom line minimum- minus 20%! Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic lists all nissan D/J/S compatibility on label.
Shifts smoother, much more efficient transmission of torque. Oem fluid foot off gas, idle = sub 3mph creep. With max life =5 mph creep. No more shift point hunting or unexpected up/down/up shifts. Used to turn 2215 rpm at 70 mph. With maxlife- 2050 rpm at 70. Transmission is quieter. I never realized nissan transmission noise, even when brand new, until the noise was gone. Engine temp at 70 dropped 2 degrees with maxlife. Initial start up, coming away from a stop light, smoother, and more efficient. And lastly, when not paying attention, car would settle at about 76mph on the freeway with Matic fluid. With Valvoline Maxlife, no attention speed increased to 81, so I have to pay more attention now.
And best of all, it's 1/2 the price of oem matic fluid, at wally world!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode