LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Garage
4WD Low on pavement?

Will it be ok to do this on pavement with the new 2018 Armada or is it a no-no? I heard it could lock up the wheels. I'm intending on pushing a boat uphill in reverse to park it in my driveway and was told 4wd Low would help ease the load on the transmission.

2018 Nissan Armada SL Super Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 03:33 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumsfield View Post
Will it be ok to do this on pavement with the new 2018 Armada or is it a no-no? I heard it could lock up the wheels. I'm intending on pushing a boat uphill in reverse to park it in my driveway and was told 4wd Low would help ease the load on the transmission.
Wasn't this brought up in an earlier post that you made? The answer here, as it was there, is emphatically NO!!! Don't ever drive in 4WD (Lo or Hi) on pavement. And, don't try to push something in reverse in 4WD Lo, even if not on pavement, as the front diff and axles could be damaged.
marctronixx likes this.

- 12 Armada Platinum 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 18 Tesla Model 3, Long Range RWD
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans (kids car)
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 71,000 miles (play car)
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfamily View Post
Wasn't this brought up in an earlier post that you made? The answer here, as it was there, is emphatically NO!!! Don't ever drive in 4WD (Lo or Hi) on pavement. And, don't try to push something in reverse in 4WD Lo, even if not on pavement, as the front diff and axles could be damaged.
It was brought up but never definitively answered. This question deserves to be looked at from the point of view from a new 2017-2018 version since others have claimed the older versions had issues with the wheels locking up. I have posted in other forums as well and the answer I have gotten is split and it seems that it's dependent on the vehicle. Not knowing what the capabilities of the 2017-2018 Armada is, I would like some expert opinions. If you're saying no, I'd like to know the exact reason why and technical reasons that back it up your opinion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 04:05 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

Quote:
It was brought up but never definitively answered. This question deserves to be looked at from the point of view from a new 2017-2018 version since others have claimed the older versions had issues with the wheels locking up. I have posted in other forums as well and the answer I have gotten is split and it seems that it's dependent on the vehicle. Not knowing what the capabilities of the 2017-2018 Armada is, I would like some expert opinions. If you're saying no, I'd like to know the exact reason why and technical reasons that back it up your opinion.
So here goes....if you are looking for a black or white answer, then it is NO! That having been said you have to understand that WE do not know how much stress YOU are going to be putting on the truck. If you are simply backing up a trailer that is UNDER your load limit and you are going straight, then most likely you will have no issues in 4LO, however if while in 4LO you turn the wheels you are going to put an EXTREME amount of stress on parts not that are not really designed for that. So as a final thought I have no issues using my truck in reverse, in 4Lo, backing a trailer uphill, however you might!
marctronixx likes this.

Last edited by KingRJ; 10-15-2018 at 04:10 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRJ View Post
So here goes....if you are looking for a black or white answer, then it is NO! That having been said you have to understand that WE do not know how much stress YOU are going to be putting on the truck. If you are simply backing up a trailer that is UNDER your load limit and you are going straight, then most likely you will have no issues in 4LO, however if while in 4LO you turn the wheels you are going to put an EXTREME amount of stress on parts not that are not really designed for that. So as a final thought I have no issues using my truck in reverse, in 4Lo, backing a trailer uphill, however you might!
I would be going relatively straight aside from some minor turn of the wheels to keep the back going where I want it to go and the load would be well under the max capacity. Which is where my question is aimed. Also, not knowing much about 4x4's in general, what would prevent the wheels from locking up? Locking differentials?

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 05:22 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

I think the "locking up" you are speaking of has to do with binding the front end when turning??? The only way to keep that from happening is not to use 4wd on pavement when the wheels are turned. I suggest if you do not have any experience with 4wd vehicles is find a gravel parking lot, put your truck in 4hi and drive it while turning, you will feel the binding of the front end, which is normal. Hopefully that will help you understand why it should not be done on pavement.
marctronixx and drumsfield like this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 06:28 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quote:
You bring up a good point re: Gen2 vs Gen1. People that have had problems in reverse in 4WD Lo have had Gen1 trucks. However, if you look in your manual, it will clearly say that you should never use 4WD Hi or Lo on dry pavement. If you are making any kind of turn, you will bind up the drivetrain and put components under stress that they are not designed to handle. This is true no matter what Generation Armada (or any other 4WD (not AWD) vehicle) you have. The reason for this is simple.....when turning, the front axle travels a different distance than the rear axle, and in 4WD (notice, I'm not saying in Auto, or AWD), the front axle is mechanically linked to the rear axle. So, if they are traveling different distances, physics says they must be turning at a different rate, which they can't do, so you get binding in the drivetrain. This is okay on slippery pavement (like snow, dirt, ice), because the tires can slip. But on dry pavement they can't.

I would not recommend pushing a heavy load in reverse in 4WD Lo, dry pavement or not. In fact, I don't think I'd do it in forward either. The front differential and drivetrain just isn't designed to be put under such a heavy load.

My 2cents worth......

Keith
marctronixx and drumsfield like this.

- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 71,000 miles (play car)

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Garage
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 03:03 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

So have you tried pushing the boat up your driveway in reverse? If so, how did the Armada do? Did the trans temp move at all? Curious.....

Keith

--Paul Sweeney, author
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfamily View Post
So have you tried pushing the boat up your driveway in reverse? If so, how did the Armada do? Did the trans temp move at all? Curious.....

Keith
No issues going up in reverse the car handled it like a champ. I'm fairly confident that the car can handle it, but I'm concerned about the long term wear on the transmission. I guess it's something I'll just have to live with because of my situation even though it's not ideal.

Here's the official word from Nissan:

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to contact Nissan North America and allowing us the opportunity to be of assistance. Thank you very much for your patience with this response.

It is very difficult to assess this actual situation without seeing it first-hand. Many situations are unique in nature so it is hard to give one answer that will absolutely cover all possible combinations to the unique situation.

Any towing, even on flat ground, places additional loads on a vehicle’s engine, drivetrain, steering braking and other systems (owner’s manual page 10-18).

There is a Nissan Towing Guide available at http://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/cr...rformance.html

Do not drive the vehicle in the 4HI or 4LO position on dry, hard surface roads (owner’s manual page 5-124).

4LO is designed to use when maximum power and traction is required but making any type of turn or abrupt starts while in 4LO can grind gears and damage the drive system (even when driving on dry, hard surface roads).

We do apologize for the vagueness of this response but we are unable to provide more information without observing the process first-hand.

Case #XXXXXXX has been updated to document this request. Please feel free to contact us directly at 1-800-647-7261 with any questions or comments.

Sincerely,

Nissan

Last edited by marctronixx; 10-18-2018 at 07:27 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode