Awful Sound from Engine / Belts (VIDEO) - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Conqueror

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Awful Sound from Engine / Belts (VIDEO)

Hey guys,

I have a 2005 LE that started making what sounds like a popping/rattling noise a few days ago. Looked and sounded like the tensioner to me, so it's been replaced and there was no change. (Kinda sounds to me and my fiancee as though it might be worse.)

Here's the video: youtu.be/CMqQ08K7EfA

Anyone have any ideas? Doesn't quite sound like the other stuff I can find online.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 05:52 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)

Garage
On my previous 04, I had the same noise and it turned out to be the alternator (bearing). Loosen up the belt and turn the pulley on the alternator with your hand.

"I may think I have inalienable rights to be alive and happy but I don't - life is a blessing."

- Terrence McNally
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 02:05 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

If you find out the cause be sure to come back and let us know. That helps everybody on the forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by primoV8 View Post
On my previous 04, I had the same noise and it turned out to be the alternator (bearing). Loosen up the belt and turn the pulley on the alternator with your hand.
Took the belt off today and gave it a turn with my hand. There is a slight grinding sound. I turned it as fast as I could and didn't get anything near what we hear in the video, but that's most likely due to the lack of tension and speed.

Went and picked up another alternator today and I will install tomorrow and let you know if it's fixed.

Thanks for help!
marctronixx likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Alright,

So that video is officially the sound of the alternator bearing (thanks @primoV8 ). After about 2 hours, the new alternator is installed and the noise is completely remedied (thank god).

Removing the alternator in these is a massive pain in the ***. For those that find this:

1. DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL ON YOUR BATTERY. Loosen the belt by placing a 9/16 socket on the tensioner and pushing to the left. There is a hole for a pin on the right hand side, an allen wrench fits perfectly. This will hold it for you to easily re-seat the belt afterward.

2. Loosen and remove the top bolt from the alternator from inside the hood. It's plainly visible and easy to get to.

3. This is where I detract solidly from the instructions online. Removing the front tire and going in through the wheel well (at least in the 2WD) doesn't really help at all because it's almost impossible to get to the alternator connections from the opening that is there. Instead, get under the car and remove the skid plate, while laying under the car (you might have to slightly jack it up) you will now be able to remove the three bolts on the bracket, removing it from the alternator.

4. Scoot a little farther back behind the rack and pinion and looking up you'll now be able to clearly see/access the connection to the alternator. There are three plugs/connectors that you'll need to take off. After these are removed, the alternator should be moving freely.

5. To get the alternator out of the engine bay, I removed the fluid line directly below it on the steering rack, there will be about 3-4 cups of fluid that comes out, so have a bowl or something ready. With this removed, you should easily be able to pull out the old unit and put in the new one, reversing the steps.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:47 AM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

Glad you got it solved. I wasn't aware that alternator replacement was such a PITA. On my 99 Tahoe I could change one in about 5 minutes.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
Glad you got it solved. I wasn't aware that alternator replacement was such a PITA. On my 99 Tahoe I could change one in about 5 minutes.
Yeah, it'd never thought about it, but once I looked down in there and I saw where it was, I had about the same feeling I had when the starter went out and I realized it was under the damned intake. I did the alternator in my Mustang GT about 4 months ago, took about 20 minutes total, cake compared to this.

I have such a love hate relationship with the Armada. On one hand, I love the thing and it's still trucking along at 220k. On the other, every damned part seems engineered to make you have to bring it to the dealer, as in how much it sucks to work on seems completely purposeful (and probably is.)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode