User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Transmission issue

Anyone have this issue happen before? While driving on highway, the truck suddenly jerks violently but there’s nothing on the road. It’s intermittent but want to get it checked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 05:06 PM
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

YES! I was just about to post the same question. With all the snow here in the Chicago area lately, I've been using the 4WD on my 2015 Armada a bit. I really only use it when it's snowing, so probably a few times a year, and maybe 5 miles at a time. When I get home I usually switch back to 2WD and then turn the car off. I've noticed a bit of a "jerking" when switching over to 4WD sometimes, maybe once or twice during the first block of driving, then it usually smooths out. But the issue I noticed the other day was while driving on the expressway around 60-70 mph, I felt a quick jerk, kind of like a slip or quick deceleration, then back to normal. This happened about 5 times during about 100 miles round trip. It only happened while on the expressway and I had used 4WD the evening before. I was in 2WD when the issue happened. I'm wondering if the recent switch in and out of 4WD might have caused some kind of transmission issue where it was stuck or adjusting to switching back to 2WD? Anyone ever experience anything like this?

2015 Armada SV 4 x 4 - Brilliant Silver
Tinley Park, IL
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 12:28 AM
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwill View Post
YES! I was just about to post the same question. With all the snow here in the Chicago area lately, I've been using the 4WD on my 2015 Armada a bit. I really only use it when it's snowing, so probably a few times a year, and maybe 5 miles at a time. When I get home I usually switch back to 2WD and then turn the car off. I've noticed a bit of a "jerking" when switching over to 4WD sometimes, maybe once or twice during the first block of driving, then it usually smooths out. But the issue I noticed the other day was while driving on the expressway around 60-70 mph, I felt a quick jerk, kind of like a slip or quick deceleration, then back to normal. This happened about 5 times during about 100 miles round trip. It only happened while on the expressway and I had used 4WD the evening before. I was in 2WD when the issue happened. I'm wondering if the recent switch in and out of 4WD might have caused some kind of transmission issue where it was stuck or adjusting to switching back to 2WD? Anyone ever experience anything like this?
Im just curious , couldn't you just leave the setting to auto all year round, isn't that ok? I'm a new Used armada owner and I live in WI, just trying to understand the 4wd mechanism. If I leave in auto, if weather is dry or ok... it should auto to 2wd right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 12:07 PM
SHIFT_Newbie

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I had an issue of intermittent clunk in the driveline a few years ago on my 06 Armada. It did feel similar to running over something. It turned out it was a relay in the IPDM. I replaced and it went away. Its was a cheap part and pretty easy to install. Search Nissan Relay - 284B7-CW29E on Amazon or elsewhere. I know there is some discussion on the issue on this or other forums but can't seem to locate right now.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 05:19 PM
SHIFT_Newbie

Just a little more info on the relay mentioned above. I replaced the ECM relay. The IPDM board is located in the driver's side corner under the hood. In order to get to the ECM relay you need to unclip and lift the board out of the holder. I don't think you need to unhook any of the wire connectors. Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-03-28_005937_IPDM_Ecm_Relay.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	45249   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA00934628_8da58c.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	45251  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 07:54 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromedomer View Post
Just a little more info on the relay mentioned above. I replaced the ECM relay. The IPDM board is located in the driver's side corner under the hood. In order to get to the ECM relay you need to unclip and lift the board out of the holder. I don't think you need to unhook any of the wire connectors. Hope that helps.
What led you to the conclusion to replace that specific part. What was your diagnostic procedure? You told us what you did. Please tell us why.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 09:32 PM
SHIFT_Newbie

I received the solution for my issue from other people on the forum that had same problem. The issue is a random jerk, hesitation, or clunk that seemingly comes from the drivetrain. It happens and then itís gone. It ran perfectly otherwise. The transmission and differeiential fluid levels were good. It didnt throw any codes. Tough one to diagnose. I have never seen a good explanation of what is happening other than the relay goes bad with age. Itís a $6 genuine Nissan part so I did not see any downside to trying it. I keep a spare in my glovebox in case it happens again down the road.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thank you everyone. I will definitely try to replace the relay. I also found a good crack in the air box behind the air filter and have heard from some mecanics that this could also cause water or snow to entrer the air intake and possibly cause this issue. The air box is only around 135$ Canadian so will change that too.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 10:05 AM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromedomer View Post
I received the solution for my issue from other people on the forum that had same problem. The issue is a random jerk, hesitation, or clunk that seemingly comes from the drivetrain. It happens and then itís gone. It ran perfectly otherwise. The transmission and differeiential fluid levels were good. It didnt throw any codes. Tough one to diagnose. I have never seen a good explanation of what is happening other than the relay goes bad with age. Itís a $6 genuine Nissan part so I did not see any downside to trying it. I keep a spare in my glovebox in case it happens again down the road.
Thanks for the info. My 2011 is doing exactly what you are describing. Happens infrequently too which makes it even harder to diagnose.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 03:15 PM
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

This sounds like a good enough explanation and a cheap enough part to give it a shot. Worst thing that can happen is wasting $6 and a few minutes of time. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably order the part today.

2015 Armada SV 4 x 4 - Brilliant Silver
Tinley Park, IL

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode