False Engine Start Issue / then engine won’t stop - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

False Engine Start Issue / then engine won’t stop

2017 Armada SV has an electronic starting issue: I’ve had this happen 3 times in last year...Has anyone else had this issue?: Engine starts but runs very rough and shakes, but pushing the start / stop button again engages the starter into the flywheel again instead of stopping the motor. Since the Start / Stop button would not stop the motor, I had to wait until the motor just stalled on its own, which took 15-20 seconds. I thought maybe I pressed the start / stop button too close to when I pressed the brake pedal, but I’ve not been able to duplicate the problem, and the dealer couldn’t either. They tried to say its my fault if I’m not pressing the brake before the start button, but in reality, it’s their engineering error because the design should never allow the motor to start unless the proper start sequence is done, and when the motor does run, it should run correctly, and when it is running, the stop button should turn it off, NOT engage the starter. So there seems to be a software issue that allows the engine to false start with some portion of the ECM not functioning (seems like the timing is off or injectors aren’t working right). My concern is possible engine damage from it running uncontrollably and flywheel damage from the starter gear hitting it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Update: of course, nether me or the dealer could duplicate the starting problem, so seems this is another electronic bug that only occurs under certain circumstances. This, in addition to the poor trans shifting issue show the engineers did not perform good software regression testing. Oh well...the dealer did say they will keep my ticket open and ask Nissan engineering about it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 09:55 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)

if your car was bought used, this can open up other thigns related to maintenance of the car.

besides that,

the car should not start if the brake pedal is not acknowledged by the BCM. i cant see this happening randomly. it could be a fault in the ECM, BCM, TCM, ior a fault in the wiring harness.

for the dealer to say its "your fault" is absurd. you would not waste your time if you thought you were not doing something right.

at the very least, go to another nissan shop if you can and have them hook up the diag port (obd) and see if there are any errors that were stored. your issue sounds rare, and could be a number of things...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, there weren’t any codes saved. I’ll keep this post updated in case someone else ever has the same issue.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Oh yea, I bought brand new...it’s a 2017
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 11:00 AM
SHIFT_Newbie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

False starting

I have experienced this exact problem on more than 10 occasions since I bought my 2017, very random occurrence, no way to recreate on your own.
I mentioned this to the dealership, on two separate occasions and were told that they couldn't get it to do it for them.
Nothing they can do.
No codes are stored when this happens.
I am thinking that if a guy is on the ball, and can record a video of it doing this, it would help, but no way of forseeing the issue occurring.
They talked to me like I was crazy when I tried to describe what occurs.
I had a hard time believing mine was the only one doing this, I guess it isn't the only one.
Kept checking in on this web page to see but it hasn't been mentioned until now.
Very worried about damage while it does this, doesn't sound good at all, lots of black smoke as well.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Thanks for the response!!! I had the same exact response from the dealership, so having at least one more person with the same exact problem helps prove the issue exists. I’ve thought about attempting to record every time I start it up, but it’s a hassle to do that. My impression is unless enough people experience this as well, they won’t make any effort to troubleshoot it. You’re right though, about the concern for the motor, and in my case, the flywheel and and starter as well since my attempts to turn the motor off resulted in the starter engaging the spinning flywheel. They claimed that grinding noise wouldn’t cause any problem, of course they’d say that. But since we can’t hit the stop button to turn the motor off, I agree, it can’t be good for the motor to run that way. Mine shakes the vehicle and seems like it’s flooded and does not turn off until it literally stalls out after 15-20 seconds. Well, let’s stay in touch and share any news. Are we able to IM on this board?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Bster, I was under the impression that my false start issues may have been related to the sequence of brake pedal/start button engage timing (pushing both at same time or too close together?), but a few days ago, I realized it’s more than that or not that at all, and might also be related to how long I hold down the start button. In every other new vehicles I’ve ever had, once the engine turns over and begins to run, you can simply release the button. That doesn’t work so we’ll all the time on my ‘17 Mada. I’m starting to notice, on occasion, I need to hold it in a bit longer because the start is a bit rough at first, and if I release like normal, it’s actually stalled/just quit, requiring another more deliberate attempt. What a pain in the butt...I sure hope we get this resolved...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode