Major Transmission leak question - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Major Transmission leak question

Driving home today, our '13 Armada started to have what feels like a transmission slip. High revs of the engine and no power. I was able to limp the vehicle back to my house but probably drove it 5-7 miles this way. I should have just pulled it over

When I got it home, the driver side was covered in fluid.. Looking under the truck, I could see fluid dripping out of the engine compartment on the driver side. Everything was soaked.

Popping the hood and looking into the compartment, the front of the engine compartment on the driver side is soaked.

It's dark and cold so I couldn't do much more troubleshooting, but I'm thinking the problem is with one of the transmission coolant hoses.

Assuming that's the problem.... I'm curious if replacing the hose and refilling the fluid will resurrect the truck?

It only has 73k miles at this point.

thought/suggestions?

//Brew

//Brew
Mine: '11 BMW 328xi
Hers: '13 Armada SV
KCCO!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 09:41 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Garage
The only way to know it to try. You might get lucky.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 06:56 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

If it moved it must have had some fluid left in it. You're right though, should have pulled over because you just pumped more out for 5-7 miles. The lines to the bottom of the radiator (on my 06 anyway) are right under the fan so a leak would be blown all over - plus wind from driving. My point is it may look worse than it is.

You might be able to tell how much you lost by trying to drain the tranny pan. On a good tranny you'll get around 3 quarts out of there (the rest stays in the transmission). So if you drain it and get 2 quarts then you lost about a quart. But if you don't get any it's hard to tell how much you may have lost. Besides finding the leak, that's a place to start anyway.

If it was mine and a 13 with 73K I'd have it towed to a tranny shop and have them take a look - for the peace of mind on an expensive part like a tranny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

My suspicions were right... Trans coolant line ruptured (part number 21632-9GF0A). That plus 5 qts of Matic-S and it's all fixed up. Unfortunately it cost me $311 with the tow, but all things considered I'm pretty happy. We're expecting a snowy mess tomorrow and my dealer was able to turn me around in a day a the last minute.

//Brew

//Brew
Mine: '11 BMW 328xi
Hers: '13 Armada SV
KCCO!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 09:24 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

That's the best outcome you could have had and $300 ain't bad for dealer work and peace of mind.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 12:02 PM
SHIFT_Newbie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Lucky, you probably took some life off the transmission running it low for so long. At my work we have nv200's, a driver came in saying one of the 2018's vans was low on power. We had it towed to a dealer since it quit moving altogether. Turns out a rock took out the transmission cooler and then after being driven so long with low fluid he burnt up the transmission. The dealer won't cover it and they want +$9k to fix it. So now I'm going to have to replace it with a used one. I'm gonna try to bypass the cooler and see if it still works but I think this one is pretty burnt up.

04 Armada LE

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode