05 Armada dies when shifting into gear - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

05 Armada dies when shifting into gear

Thank u for adding me to this forum . I look forward in all tips and help as much as I can . I'm from text and just picked up and 05 armada. The main issue is that when I shift into gear the truck dies. What am I doing wrong and what do I need to check . She has about 165 k miles on her
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 06:11 PM
SHIFT_Newbie

Does it lurch or try to take off forward when you put it in gear like it's in direct drive? Does it do the same in reverse? Does it feel like it's trying to take off in 3rd gear in a manual?

04 Armada LE
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 06:16 PM
SHIFT_Newbie

Did it just happen out of the blue or???

Oh and the rads are common to have the transmission cooler crack or break inside the rad and get coolant mixing with the tranny fluid destroying the transmission. Seems to be a problem that either has or will happen to these things.

04 Armada LE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 06:50 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin richter View Post
Thank u for adding me to this forum . I look forward in all tips and help as much as I can . I'm from text and just picked up and 05 armada. The main issue is that when I shift into gear the truck dies. What am I doing wrong and what do I need to check . She has about 165 k miles on her
If it's running this bad, it must be throwing codes. Get a code reader, hook it up to your OBDII port, and download the codes. A code reader is less than $30 on Amazon. When you have the codes, post them here and folks can provide you much better direction on what you need to do.

Keith

- 12 Armada Platinum 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 18 Tesla Model 3, Long Range RWD
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans (kids car)
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 71,000 miles (play car)
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 07:19 PM
SHIFT_Newbie

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfamily View Post
If it's running this bad, it must be throwing codes. Get a code reader, hook it up to your OBDII port, and download the codes. A code reader is less than $30 on Amazon. When you have the codes, post them here and folks can provide you much better direction on what you need to do.

Keith
Keith, any app that you recommend in particular for the code reader?

I am on iOS, use the dash command app, and a generic wifi obd scanner off amazon. The expanded diagnostics (abs, trans, etc) in dash command did not work for me.

08 LE Non-nav, 4wd
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 09:41 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatel791 View Post
Keith, any app that you recommend in particular for the code reader?

I am on iOS, use the dash command app, and a generic wifi obd scanner off amazon. The expanded diagnostics (abs, trans, etc) in dash command did not work for me.
I'm old school.....I have a traditional wired OBDII scanner that I bought off of Amazon a few years ago. Perhaps others on the forum can make recommendations.

- 12 Armada Platinum 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 18 Tesla Model 3, Long Range RWD
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans (kids car)
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 71,000 miles (play car)
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 11:26 AM
SHIFT_Newbie

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I would definitely check your transmission fluid to make sure there are no leaks or contamination with antifreeze. If you don't see any issue, you should consider replacing the ECM relay. The ECM relay seems to go bad over time and cause various issues such as the one you are having. Its a $6 part and worth a shot. I put some info about it in the other most recent post about transmission issues. Good luck.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

I will order one scanner and let everyone know what codes . Lso will try and replace the ecm relay also... To others posts , when I shift just shift to reverse or any gear it just straight dies. No jerk or nothing just dies .
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 09:42 AM
SHIFT_Newbie

Well, it might not be the transmission like I thought. But who know's. I feel like I'm the only one who's felt a transmission or 6 fail like that. Mostly dodge diesels mind you.

If the engine just dies like you turn the key off or sputter? It's pretty hard to narrow it down without being there and seeing exactly what happens. Could be anything really, from low fuel pressure to bad a bad ground. I'd hate to say throw random parts at it like some shops do when they're clueless. I actually like to find out the problem first. It's kinda what I get paid to do.

I don't recommend cheap obd code readers, I'd at least get one that will show live data. I have an old cheap otc one that shows abs and airbag codes as well as some live data that's come in handy. At work I use an autel maxisys mini which is pretty. It's great for trouble shooting. You can activate the pos vent solenoid, air compressor, on demand and tons of other crap. It's decent but it's over $1000 so unless you use it every day not worth it for the home gamer.

04 Armada LE
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 11:42 AM
SHIFT_Newbie

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I generally agree about not just changing parts to try to solve a problem. But if you have knowledge from other's experience about an issue and the part is super cheap and easy to install, then I lean toward trying those first. The knowledge on this forum has saved me tons over the years. The other part that some people have replaced with a general stalling issue is the cam position sensor. That is another cheap part. Obviously I don't recommend throwing lots of money and/or time at a problem without data.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode