2008 QX56 towing mods to improve payload rating and stability: feedback please - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By happycamper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Garage
2008 QX56 towing mods to improve payload rating and stability: feedback please

I've just acquired a completely stock 2008 QX56 w/ 90k miles as a tow vehicle. I'll be pulling a 5500lb travel trailer with about 750lb of tongue weigh with a ProSeries 1000lb WDH.

I'm in the process of modifying the vehicle for towing after reading through about a dozen threads on this forum. My tentative plan:

FRONT SUSPENSION: Bilstein 4600 HD shocks with stock springs. I'm experience steering stability issues on rough roads and expect this to solve the problem.

REAR SUSPENSION: Moog 81085 springs which is spec'd for the non auto leveling suspension to replace the stock softer springs. I plan to keep the stock air shocks.

TIRES: Replace stock 20" Michelin's with General Grabber HTS60. The HTS60 is load rated to almost 3000lbs per tire compared to the stock Michelin's 2365lbs.

PAYLOAD RATING: I believe the key limiters of the dismal factory payload rating of ~1300lbs are the rear suspension (coils) and tires. With the above mods, the payload rating should be improved and the limitation will be closer to the GAWR ratings (instead of tires or suspension).

I've already done the tire replacement but haven't moved forward with suspension mods. Any feedback on my plan above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
YukonJoe likes this.

Last edited by happycamper; 10-10-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 10:57 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 58 Post(s)

FRONT SUSPENSION: Bilstein 4600 HD shocks with stock springs. I'm experience steering stability issues on rough roads and expect this to solve the problem. (Yes, this will be a big improvement for stability and tracking)

REAR SUSPENSION: Moog 81085 springs which is spec'd for the non auto leveling suspension to replace the stock softer springs. I plan to keep the stock air shocks. (You will see a major difference in stability. Much stiffer with improved ride.)

TIRES: Replace stock 20" Michelin's with General Grabber GHS60. The GHS60 is load rated to almost 3000lbs per tire compared to the stock Michelin's 2365lbs. (I run an E rated tire and with a much stiffer sidewall it is excellent while towing)

2005 SE Off Road: JBA LT Silver ceramic coated headers, Cajun B-Pipes with Heavy Metal Cats, Borla Dual SS Cat Back, Uprev Tuned, K&N Air Charger, CSF 3328 Aluminum Radiator, Grille Craft Upper and Lower Grill, Burtman Rear Air Reflector, Manik SS Nerf Bars, Nissan Tow Mirrors, Bilstein HD's, Moog 81085 Rear Coils, AirLift 1000 Rear Springs.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Off Road1 View Post
TIRES: Replace stock 20" Michelin's with General Grabber GHS60. The GHS60 is load rated to almost 3000lbs per tire compared to the stock Michelin's 2365lbs. (I run an E rated tire and with a much stiffer sidewall it is excellent while towing)
Which E rated tire do you run? Brand/model and size?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 03:17 PM
SHIFT_Newbie

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper View Post
I've just acquired a completely stock 2008 QX56 w/ 90k miles as a tow vehicle. I'll be pulling a 5500lb travel trailer with about 750lb of tongue weigh with a ProSeries 1000lb WDH.

I'm in the process of modifying the vehicle for towing after reading through about a dozen threads on this forum. My tentative plan:

FRONT SUSPENSION: Bilstein 4600 HD shocks with stock springs. I'm experience steering stability issues on rough roads and expect this to solve the problem.

REAR SUSPENSION: Moog 81085 springs which is spec'd for the non auto leveling suspension to replace the stock softer springs. I plan to keep the stock air shocks.

TIRES: Replace stock 20" Michelin's with General Grabber GHS60. The GHS60 is load rated to almost 3000lbs per tire compared to the stock Michelin's 2365lbs.

PAYLOAD RATING: I believe the key limiters of the dismal factory payload rating of ~1300lbs are the rear suspension (coils) and tires. With the above mods, the payload rating should be improved and the limitation will be closer to the GAWR ratings (instead of tires or suspension).

I've already done the tire replacement but haven't moved forward with suspension mods. Any feedback on my plan above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
So you have the air ride self leveling shocks, and you plan on adding stiffer springs. That sounds like a good plan and should help with the rear squat when towing.

Did you go with the same size tire?

What are you doing to increase your stopping power? Are you considering brakes?

Yukon

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonJoe View Post

Did you go with the same size tire?

What are you doing to increase your stopping power? Are you considering brakes?

Yukon

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Yes, same size tire: General HTS60 275/60R20 119T XL

Stopping power: I didn't think I need to improve it as my travel trailer has electric brakes
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 04:32 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quote:
Which E rated tire do you run? Brand/model and size?
BFGR All Terrain TA KO 2's E Rated

2005 SE Off Road: JBA LT Silver ceramic coated headers, Cajun B-Pipes with Heavy Metal Cats, Borla Dual SS Cat Back, Uprev Tuned, K&N Air Charger, CSF 3328 Aluminum Radiator, Grille Craft Upper and Lower Grill, Burtman Rear Air Reflector, Manik SS Nerf Bars, Nissan Tow Mirrors, Bilstein HD's, Moog 81085 Rear Coils, AirLift 1000 Rear Springs.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Off Road1 View Post
REAR SUSPENSION: Moog 81085 springs which is spec'd for the non auto leveling suspension to replace the stock softer springs. I plan to keep the stock air shocks. (You will see a major difference in stability. Much stiffer with improved ride.)
I believe you've also seen that the Moog rear springs increases the height so it's a 1" higher in the rear compared to the front. How have you adjusted the air shock height sensor based on this new higher ride height?

08 QX56 4WD towing 2012 Rockwood Roo 233s TT
MODS: Bilstein 4600 HD front shocks + Moog 81085 rear springs, General HTS60 Load Index 119 tires, Rockville RW10CA subwoofer, more to come...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 01:08 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quote:
I believe you've also seen that the Moog rear springs increases the height so it's a 1" higher in the rear compared to the front. How have you adjusted the air shock height sensor based on this new higher ride height?
The 1 inch difference is not noticeable and truck looks level. When loading up with passengers, gear or a trailer that extra inch is welcomed.

I left the air shock adjustment alone. Adjusting would have no effect since the coils are responsible for the additional inch.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode