2" lift Armada vs. Y62 Patrol - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

2" lift Armada vs. Y62 Patrol

I am unbelievably frustrated at the moment with the lack of support for the 2017+ Armada. I just purchased one and fit it with 34" tires. (275/65 20 BFG KO2 34" with zero rubbing) I would like to lift it around 1.5 to 2 inches and it would seem obvious there would be at least some aftermarket support considering the Patrol is nearly the same vehicle.

2 Questions:

1) Is the 2017 Armada basically the same as the Patrol minus lockers and magnetic ride control?

2)Has anyone found any domestic off road support for the Armada?

Thanks for any help you can offer,

DeepSix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 05:52 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)

Got pics to share how it looks on your Armada?

You know this platform is not one that is popular in the US for offroad or to modify. I believe like 90% of owners of this 2017 Armada or the QX80 model do not want anything to do with offroading or lifts, hence the almost non existence aftermarket support.

So, be ready to spend some real money if you want to modify your ride. You can join the Nissan patrol forum that is based in Australia and take your chance shedding some real dough to get after market parts from Australia.

To answer your questions...

1) The 2017 Armada is basically the Patrol minus lockers. But the Patrol happens to be a tiny bit taller, hence a better clearance. Also, it has a better approach angle than the Armada.

2) Domestic support for the new 2017 body style is probably non existent so far. So if you want to see aftermarket parts, join the Nissan Patrol forum of the Australian guys and see their mods and maybe ask there and order parts from Australia. Be the first! There is always the first on every forum.

Are you looking for looks or do you plan to really take yours on some real offroad, not just dirt roads.

I have taken my 2012 QX on roads that left lifted Jeeps and Toyota FJs speechless. They told me I was crazy taking my QX on terrains that would damage my QX easy. But my QX was not faced. LOL, I was on vacation and ready for damage, if it happened. But I have confidence in my ability and the car's ability. I took it all stock with good offroad tires and went up treacherous hills in the colorful San Juan mountains in Colorado. The guys I drove along with all believed that I would NOT make it. But my QX kept up in luxury and style. I do not call that thing King of the road for nothing.

The QX/Armada/Patrol is a very capable offroader. You can have tons of fun in its stock form. Though to be honest, I believe the older Armada can handle it just as well or even better.

I have a tentative plan to maybe take my QX again offroad soon, but only about 4 hours away from me here in Texas. Will try to take more pictures and even make a video and post. I am waiting to order my GoPro Hero 6 soon before I make the trip. Since some British thieves stole my last GoPro Hero while I was on vacation in Britain last month.

My Build/Maintenance/Modification thread..., Aiming for 250K on odometer.
2012 Infiniti QX56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
... KING OF THE ROAD
2008 Nissan Maxima SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
... CATCH ME IF YOU CAN

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 06:03 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Some offroad pictures of the trails that my QX tackled. Mind you almost 95% of all other 4x4s there were all lifted Jeeps and Toyota FJs.

USA-CAN-USA, July 2017 (16 US states and 4 Canadian provinces) - Page 10 - Expedition Portal

Imogene Pass

Black Bear Pass this morning

Ophir Pass today

2012 Infiniti QX56
... KING OF THE ROAD
2008 Nissan Maxima SE
... CATCH ME IF YOU CAN

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Thanks for the reply! Your rig looks great and I'm not surprised is gets around very well. This is a super capable platform. I was going to buy a lightly used demo Land Cruiser but they don't make them without a sunroof and there's not enough headroom. Then I found such a good deal on this new Armada, I didn't even think twice. I'm very happy with it but SO disappointed at the level of support.

I don't need to go rock crawling or super hardcore "how badly can I get it stuck" type wheeling. The lift will serve little function other than improving the ride quality both loaded and empty. (I'd like to go with a nice remote adjustable coil over design.) I do go a lot of places beyond logging roads, I tow trailers and a boat frequently.

Here's a crazy example of the lack of support... I looked at the OME website and found a package for the Patrol and then called 4 different 4x4 shops. None could get the package I was referring to and none had any options to offer me. Then I went online to a suspension shop and I can order all of the parts from the kit. There are probably parts from every suspension manufacturer that will work but no one has taken the time to put them together and list them for the Armada. I guess this just reaffirms your suggestion that demand is SUPER low.

Thanks for your suggestions about finding a Patrol forum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20171102_104316.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	42178  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 09:33 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Here is a link to the Patrol forum. You will see tons of lifted Patrols.

Nissan Y62 Patrol, Armada & Infiniti QX80 - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum

And this is a specific thread on there for people to post pictures of their Patrol. Very cool rigs in this thread below. It is long, but I scroll through the pages and mainly look at the pictures only and read a few posts close to the pictures.

Y62 Picture Sharing Thread - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum

2012 Infiniti QX56
... KING OF THE ROAD
2008 Nissan Maxima SE
... CATCH ME IF YOU CAN

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 09:57 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Or if you want to see strictly pics only of mostly lifted Nissan Patrols, here is the link.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Y62+...w=1366&bih=662

2012 Infiniti QX56
... KING OF THE ROAD
2008 Nissan Maxima SE
... CATCH ME IF YOU CAN

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

I wanted to share this information in case anyone is interested:

"Radflo does offer replacement shocks for the Nissan Armada. We do a 2.5 front coil over with remote reservoir and a 2.5 rear shock with remote reservoir. Compression adjusters are also available. The front coil overs require aftermarket upper control arms and the rear are designed for 2" of lift. The rear springs are sold by ARB overseas. I am not sure about in the USA."

Regards,

Glenn Classen
Radflo Suspension Technology
11233 Condor Ave, Fountain Valley, CA, 92708
Tel: 714 965-7828 Fax: 714 965-7828

The only upper control arms I've found are made by Total Chaos and cost about $750. (Just search Patrol UCA) I suspect the springs are the +50mm Old Man Emu springs which you can get here. You just have to look for them by part number not make and model. The challenge for me is this setup is approaching $3000 which is a lot more than I want to put into a 2" lift.

The only alternative I've found so far is the Old Man Emu 2" lift kit for the patrol. It's not a coil over system and in a 40mm lift in the front and 50mm in the rear. Again, you can't order the kit in the US but all of the individual parts are available. (4 springs and 4 shocks/struts) If you go to the OME website and use their selector tool, it will give you the right package for the load you carry. When you drill down from there, it will show you the individual part numbers and with those, you can order from any OME retailer. Total cost for this is about $1100 or so. The bonus is that it's a smaller lift and doesn't require you to replace the UCAs so that save's a lot of money.

Thoughts?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 12:09 PM
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

arb/ome

Hello I'm new here, but I was researching the subject a little myself.

It looks like you could use ARB/OME suspension meant for Y62 Patrol:
arb.com.au / nissan-patrol-y62-2010-present / old-man-emu

The cheaper option gives you 1.5 in (40mm) lift and you can use different spring rates, depending on how much extra load you are planning to carry.
The (much) more expensive option gives you adjustable coil-overs with a remote reservoir.
You can order those parts from your local US ARB dealer as long as you know the part number.

That being said, I would research forums or call ARB Australia to check about possible interference with the self-leveling suspension...
...or crawl under the truck and figure it out myself ... usually a spacer/relocation bracket is all that's needed, if at all...
Good Luck!

Sebastian
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 01:28 PM
SHIFT_Newbie

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Can anybody provide any updates regarding this subject?

Thanks.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 03:47 PM
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythe3rd View Post
Can anybody provide any updates regarding this subject?

Thanks.
Does your model have HCMC?

We can send lift kits from Australia to suit either HBMC or standard springs/shocks...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk