Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had the Myron and Davis 7.8" installed, and the entire units shakes badly at speed. I had the system professionally installed.

Was there a bracket that I should have had them install? Or was it in my vehicle already. Did they do something wrong?

What are my options? Anyone else have this same problem? I've read several threads already on this,but couldn't find anything about an aftermarket '05.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
wwjdwithca said:
So I had the Myron and Davis 7.8" installed, and the entire units shakes badly at speed. I had the system professionally installed.

Was there a bracket that I should have had them install? Or was it in my vehicle already. Did they do something wrong?

What are my options? Anyone else have this same problem? I've read several threads already on this,but couldn't find anything about an aftermarket '05.

Thanks.
Check to see if your Mada has the headliner bracket TSB installed.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
wwjdwithca said:

Thanks.
Houdy neighbour, right off the 15 fwy there is a Myron & Davis certified dealer and installer, PM me if you need his address, maybe he will check it out for you ;)

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wwjdwithca said:

Thanks.
Update: One dealer told me that the bracket does not come factory, once you put the DVD system in they add the bracket. $800 to have it added! Another dealer told me that you can't put aftermarket DVD players into the sunroof version Armada! Jeez, what a joke! Not really sure what to do at this point.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I'm having the same vibration issues with the factory DVD

I noticed a few days after I purchased my '05 LE that the DVD console vibrates pretty badly. It was in the shop on 09/08/05 for the brake TSB and I mentioned to the service advisor to check the DVD console. After picking up the truck at the end of the day, he told me that it was checked and all brackets are in place, specifically the '04 bracket TSB was installed.

So, apparently something is up with the '05's DVD console bracket. I am eagerly awaiting the TSB.

:crikey:

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
I was able to convince my dealer to install the bracket, even though I don't have the DVD. The vibration is reduced, but definitely not eliminated. I can't imagine trying to watch a TV screen that was mounted there! I've also got quite a chorus of squeeks and rattles up there now. Hopefully they'll address these at my next service.

Keith

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
wwjdwithca said:
Update: One dealer told me that the bracket does not come factory, once you put the DVD system in they add the bracket. $800 to have it added!
My dealer told me that the headliner TSB on the 05's only applied to the DVD equipped Madas. Else, you have to pay for the bracket. She also assured me that all 04-05 TSB are fixed on all 06 models.

wwjdwithca said:
Another dealer told me that you can't put aftermarket DVD players into the sunroof version Armada! Jeez, what a joke! Not really sure what to do at this point.
This is BS!

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
wwjdwithca said:
Update: One dealer told me that the bracket does not come factory, once you put the DVD system in they add the bracket. $800 to have it added! Another dealer told me that you can't put aftermarket DVD players into the sunroof version Armada! Jeez, what a joke! Not really sure what to do at this point.
Offer the dealer to buy the bracket and see if they will install it for you. The bracket is around $100. If they charge you for labor it should be less than $200.....$300 total. I know that sucks that you might have to pay for the TSB. I fought my dealer for a long time and they were going to do the bracket for $300 then offered to install if I bought it....by the end of the day they just went ahead and did it, but that was because they owed me for better than a years worth of headaches.

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
Do it yourself. There are only 4 bolts to remove to get the console off.
My console was just replaced. It was cracked from the factory and was squeaking. Works great now and was under warranty. They even gave me a new DVD screen. ;)

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
92TripleBlack said:
Do it yourself. There are only 4 bolts to remove to get the console off.
My console was just replaced. It was cracked from the factory and was squeaking. Works great now and was under warranty. They even gave me a new DVD screen. ;)
You suck!

I've put in a call with Nissan USA hoping that they will see the error in their ways, and fix it for me...or at least part of it. I've read the TSB, and it's quite detailed, drilling-out plastic nuts, replacing with rivnuts, removing mounting clips, adding foam tape etc. Nothing I couldn't do. In fact we have a 1/4-20 rivnut gun at work that I could use instead of the M6. But I'd like to make sure everything is done right...my truck is only three weeks old!

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
The console is held on by 4 10mm bolts. After that, you slide it forward and it pops off. If you don't have DVD, you will now have access to the area the brace needs to go. Put it in, and bolt her back up. No biggie. :D

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
92TripleBlack said:
The console is held on by 4 10mm bolts. After that, you slide it forward and it pops off. If you don't have DVD, you will now have access to the area the brace needs to go. Put it in, and bolt her back up. No biggie. :D
As wwjdwithca said its more involved than just 4 bolts.

wwjdwithca if you have access to a rivet gun I would check with Jerseyparts and buy the bracket. The rivet gun is really the only thing the average person would need to install the bracket.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
the sevice bulletin is only for 2004's WITH DVD. The 05's and up all have the bracket IF YOU HAVE FACTORY DVD.

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
I guess I was reading about someone getting rid of the squeaks in the overhead console and that showed removing the console was the 4 bolts. Maybe I also take for granted that I installed stereos professionally for 3 years so interior work seems easy now. Bottomline, if it seems overwhelming, just pay to have someone else do it. Cheaper than doing it yourself and then having someone else fix what you did wrong. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
92TripleBlack said:
I guess I was reading about someone getting rid of the squeaks in the overhead console and that showed removing the console was the 4 bolts. Maybe I also take for granted that I installed stereos professionally for 3 years so interior work seems easy now. Bottomline, if it seems overwhelming, just pay to have someone else do it. Cheaper than doing it yourself and then having someone else fix what you did wrong. ;)

fyi of what's involved, it's not complicated but you need a special rivet gun. It is only 4 bolts to remove the console but then to mount the bracket you have to do a little more....I bet you could get some self taping metal screws and attach it to the roof beam under the mounts that they call for the rivets instead of rivets...similiar to what I did at the front support where they removed the two mounts.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
llajumpvid said:
fyi of what's involved, it's not complicated but you need a special rivet gun. It is only 4 bolts to remove the console but then to mount the bracket you have to do a little more....I bet you could get some self taping metal screws and attach it to the roof beam under the mounts that they call for the rivets instead of rivets...similiar to what I did at the front support where they removed the two mounts.
It's not a rivet gun. It's a riv-NUT gun. It applies a nut in-between multiple surfaces, so a 6mm bolt can be engaged into this nut, and holds the bracket in place. The two nuts are key to allowing the bracket to be solidly attached to the ceiling. Nissan realized that the screws attaching the back of the console were too lightweight, so bolts are required. FYI. The bracket is over 2 ft long, and is about 6-8" wide.

I believe I could do this retro-fit if I had to, but it's not really what I had in mind on a 3 week old truck.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
wwjdwithca said:
It's not a rivet gun. It's a riv-NUT gun. It applies a nut in-between multiple surfaces, so a 6mm bolt can be engaged into this nut, and holds the bracket in place. The two nuts are key to allowing the bracket to be solidly attached to the ceiling. Nissan realized that the screws attaching the back of the console were too lightweight, so bolts are required. FYI. The bracket is over 2 ft long, and is about 6-8" wide.

I believe I could do this retro-fit if I had to, but it's not really what I had in mind on a 3 week old truck.
where able to see if the guy can help you out?

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ggeorgie said:
where able to see if the guy can help you out?
Thanks georgie for the number, but since I've found out that I don't have the bracket in my truck from the '04 TSB. Need to get that bracket installed, one way or another.

Which reminds me:

Anybody know where I can get it, except from the Stealer?

I looked at Jerseyparts website, and all it's got is aftermarket parts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.