Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i'm unsure if there is a thread already rolling on here about this and if there is sorry for the repost. But I'm looking to install a double din on my 05 Armada LE with the navigation and dual climate control and i see where to buy the install kit as far as mounting is concerned but am lost as to how i can see my controls being used for my climate control as when i remove the radio unit and will want to replace the navi screen with an aftermarket screen as from my understanding when you remove the stock radio the original navi screen becomes useless then how will you see what you are controlling on your dual climate control.... i may just be overlooking but would like some experienced advice here... id appreciate all i can get thanks

·
Premium Member
2004 Armada LE 4x4 - Still runs like new!
15 Posts
hey guys, i'm unsure if there is a thread already rolling on here about this and if there is sorry for the repost. But I'm looking to install a double din on my 05 Armada LE with the navigation and dual climate control and i see where to buy the install kit as far as mounting is concerned but am lost as to how i can see my controls being used for my climate control as when i remove the radio unit and will want to replace the navi screen with an aftermarket screen as from my understanding when you remove the stock radio the original navi screen becomes useless then how will you see what you are controlling on your dual climate control.... i may just be overlooking but would like some experienced advice here... id appreciate all i can get thanks
Update: I finally did it. See post below about installation! I have a 2004 Amada LE 4X4 with Navigation and just 50K miles. I love my car but it gets minimal use as I have other vehicles, so its like new! I have decided to finally dive into this stereo upgrade! I am installing a Kenwood DNX995S GPS head unit in a readily available double din center panel. These new panels are now made for Armadas with Navigation and are therefore a perfect fit. I have steering wheel controls and will be relocating the remaining portion of the center control panel to the BOTTOM of the center console's hinged lid (that lid that your elbow rests on when you drive). This will place the control panel out of the way and take up virtually no space, but will still be very readily available for all of the car's system settings. I have determined (as have others) that if you completely remove the existing CD changer/radio ALL of your HVAC and system setting will still be viewable on the upper monitor screen and your original GPS Nav stsyem will still work as well (if you want that, or you can disable it). Therefore this screen stays right where it is and, as I stated, the settings seen on the upper screen will be controlled on the panel beneath the center console lid. Although, you will seldom use these controls you really should save them for a variety of reasons. From this panel you would simply turn off your old GPS unit but you would still see your temp setting, tire pressure, trip stats, clock etc. I have been dying to do this and now I have all of the parts, materials and solutions (I hope) to move ahead. I will post back with pics, part numbers and details in the very near future.

It's done! I had the same concerns as many have had but I believe that I found the best way to address all of them. I love this setup! Yes, 2 screens may seem odd but it does offer all sorts of possibilities. I'll attach a few pics below of what I did. My favorite part of this is how I addressed the need to retain the computer controls. I relocated them to a custom made box that I built and installed UNDER the center console glove box lid by extending the many wires. You will seldom need to use it but when you do it will be right there. Since this glove box is so deep you probably won't miss the 1.5 inches of vertical space that it will use. This was a fun project and I am very satisfied with the results. I love my 2004 Armada LE and now I feel that I have brought it into this century with a top-of-the-line Kenwood with Sirius & real GPS Navigation. Everything is voice activated and I have Apple Car and Android Auto all while retaining my steering wheel controls. Android auto is fantastic with this setup! I can literally press a button on my steering wheel and ask any question (like with Alexa) and get answers, directions, song or album of choice, movies, pics, etc. Note the USB connection in the console's front pocket in the first image. The screen on top usually displays only my HVAC positions near the very bottom and the rest of the screen is black. BUT, I can also have it display the original GPS or trip,tire pressure, forward camera, reverse cam. etc. Very cool setup. I plan to post a great deal more info but wanted to pass this along to you for now to see if this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update: I finally did it. See post below about installation! I have a 2004 Amada LE 4X4 with Navigation and just 50K miles. I love my car but it gets minimal use as I have other vehicles, so its like new! I have decided to finally dive into this stereo upgrade! I am installing a Kenwood DNX995S GPS head unit in a readily available double din center panel. These new panels are now made for Armadas with Navigation and are therefore a perfect fit. I have steering wheel controls and will be relocating the remaining portion of the center control panel to the BOTTOM of the center console's hinged lid (that lid that your elbow rests on when you drive). This will place the control panel out of the way and take up virtually no space, but will still be very readily available for all of the car's system settings. I have determined (as have others) that if you completely remove the existing CD changer/radio ALL of your HVAC and system setting will still be viewable on the upper monitor screen and your original GPS Nav stsyem will still work as well (if you want that, or you can disable it). Therefore this screen stays right where it is and, as I stated, the settings seen on the upper screen will be controlled on the panel beneath the center console lid. Although, you will seldom use these controls you really should save them for a variety of reasons. From this panel you would simply turn off your old GPS unit but you would still see your temp setting, tire pressure, trip stats, clock etc. I have been dying to do this and now I have all of the parts, materials and solutions (I hope) to move ahead. I will post back with pics, part numbers and details in the very near future.

It's done! I had the same concerns as many have had but I believe that I found the best way to address all of them. I love this setup! Yes, 2 screens may seem odd but it does offer all sorts of possibilities. I'll attach a few pics below of what I did. My favorite part of this is how I addressed the need to retain the computer controls. I relocated them to a custom made box that I built and installed UNDER the center console glove box lid by extending the many wires. You will seldom need to use it but when you do it will be right there. Since this glove box is so deep you probably won't miss the 1.5 inches of vertical space that it will use. This was a fun project and I am very satisfied with the results. I love my 2004 Armada LE and now I feel that I have brought it into this century with a top-of-the-line Kenwood with Sirius & real GPS Navigation. Everything is voice activated and I have Apple Car and Android Auto all while retaining my steering wheel controls. Android auto is fantastic with this setup! I can literally press a button on my steering wheel and ask any question (like with Alexa) and get answers, directions, song or album of choice, movies, pics, etc. Note the USB connection in the console's front pocket in the first image. The screen on top usually displays only my HVAC positions near the very bottom and the rest of the screen is black. BUT, I can also have it display the original GPS or trip,tire pressure, forward camera, reverse cam. etc. Very cool setup. I plan to post a great deal more info but wanted to pass this along to you for now to see if this helps.
View attachment 49009 View attachment 49010 View attachment 49011 View attachment 49012
Did you have to rewire the wires or the same plug works for the control panel? I bought a 04 armada already with touch screen but wanted to do this with mine. I ordered a panel and hooked it up to the plug that fits with control panel wiring but doesn’t work, would there be a reason or is there other wires needed because I do see like 3 other plugs that went to factory radio. Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts