Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got the 05 LE last week & I love it! I don't have a real problem that ranks with the 04's...yet. Remember, this is just for my venting pleasure.

So far everything about the Armada is a home run: exterior styling the roominess & power. I wish I could say that for the radio/nav/heat/cooling controls - of course designed by an entirely different set of people. I just want to love everything about it. Maybe someone listening at Nissan can fix for future models.

#1. Nice leather steering wheel but the stereo controls should be on the back like Chrysler/Dodge - currently too awkward for the thumb while holding the wheel. The wide toggle switches themselves are odd. Probably the most adjusted item while driving & they become intuitive as well so you don't need to see them. Also add the 'seek' button to the wheel you’re at it.

#2. All the heat/cooling & radio info should have separate LED displays that always show current info (again, like our Chrysler Pacifica). Everything is crowded on the nav screen & has to be mode switched to be seen. For instance, on the heat/cooling you have to adjust a knob to find out what anything is set at & when you do it changes - arghhh! Everything takes an extra step or two just to adjust it. Gotta keep the manual handy. Plus not much is intuitive: Quick-how do you put the cd on random?! I dunno - I did it once & the 3+ step process was too much trouble.

#3. Speaking of which the entire set of plastic control knobs are from a boom box 20 yrs ago & doesn't match the vehicle. I feel like if I don’t cut my nails the paint on the plastic will scratch off or if I push them too much they'll break.

#4. The orange instrument backlighting was cool back in the 80's....how about green, blue or white?

#5. No white instrument cluster on this performance beast?

#6. What's up with the pastel color motif in the nav screen? Pink & brown streets on a yellow background? I like the black night feature & love the 3d mode but the "Strawberry Shortcake" colors make me wince. No offense - maybe it's a Japanese thing like their color clashing variety shows.

#7. Another nav ding - what's up with the tiny sensitive all-controlling joystick nipple? You’re supposed to push it without bending it to the side? You need the skill of a surgeon & a pair of tweezers just to put in an address. Make it a directional pad of buttons already.

#8. Why the maze-like path for the shifter? From Park it's right, down, right down, down, right, down, left. (ok, I'm exaggerating now but it's close).

#9. How about a headrest that cradles your head? Of course all cars have this issue - why are they all shaped like a curb? Haven’t these designers ever sat in a comfortable dentist chair? Is it that difficult to make a comfortable curved headrest? I guess it is.

#10. Ok, I did find an exterior issue - this is the first vehicle that I've ever noticed where the door handles are loose - on purpose.

Well, I don’t mean to complain, so I’d like to leave it on a good note. Everyone I know likes or loves the Armada. The overall modern design is cool. The roominess is awesome. The sound system is great. The backup camera is cool & a must have! And of course, power up the wazoo. I’m so glad I didn’t settle for a boring Expedition or run-o-the mill GM Suburban/Yukon/Tahoe/Escalade (I remember laughing with friends at anything GM during cars shows & test track promotions over the last 10 years). Now if Dodge made a large SUV I’d have a tougher decision since I almost got the Durango - whew!

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
In the beginning of your tirade you mentioned adding seek to the controls on the steering wheel. It's already there, press and hold the switch and it will seek. Same if playing a cd, press and hold and it will go to the next cd.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks cfranzen, you've made my day. I just 'found' the cd changing feature this morning.

Well, it's been a week & I just haven't been able to slow down to read the entire manual - my bad.

But this is what I mean, I should be able to just look at it to use it, but the Armada controls are obscure & multi-layered. So if my wife or family member borrows it they'll be clueless without an explaination? I'd still prefer it have single function buttons.

I also plan to get Sirius installed & I heard that the wheel control may not change stations with Sirius though. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
You can get the AC settings to stay up on the NAV screen. There is a menu that switches the radio/HVAC display

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
You've been in the car a week and haven't figured out every bell and whistle? Welcome to the modern age my friend. I've been driving my 300C daily for a good year and just this weekend discovered additional features to my Nav system and only because someone mentioned them in an internet forum (the manual failed to mention them at all).

Gone are the days when you could stick a key in the hole and instantly recognize and manipulate every feature on the dash. Break out the white board and folding chairs, gather the family's driving members, and hold a day long "owners manual seminar". It's no longer a matter of "well my old car had black knobs and these knobs are grey". Today each maker has different icons, dash and steering wheel button layouts, and completely different software that you have to learn.

I drive my 300 and the right steering wheel button increases the volume. In my wife's Jeep the same button switches disks! I've switched many a disk just trying to muffle the wind noise.

Take an afternoon and spend it with your truck. You'll both be better for it.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
NoCalJay said:
I also plan to get Sirius installed & I heard that the wheel control may not change stations with Sirius though. We'll see.

Not sure about Sirius but for XM you can use the wheel to scroll through your presets.

Also you can you the same button that cfranzen mentioned for seeking, to scroll through the different categories of the satelite. Just hold the seek button down for a sec or so and it will jump to the next category.

I would have to agree with you in that the controls should be bit more unambigious.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
The Mada does do some of the things you want, but you are right, it isn't easy to figure it out.

At a minimum, I found your top 10 list very funny.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
My top 10 peeves

My top 10 Armada Peeves

1) The intermitant wiper control is the lamest piece equipment on the truck. The infrequently used rear wiper control is on the end of the stalk which is the most convienent location while the front wipers control is in the middle of the shaft??....C'mon, did u guys even try the damn thing??

2) The seat memory controls are in the most inconvient place imaginable. I'm 6'0 and cant reach them let alone see them and I couldnt imagine if I was an average Japanese male who is 5'5".......yikes!!

3) Wiggle the rear wiper arm.....or better still put some ear plugs in first......what a rattle!!!

4) The power points are in a really stupid place also. If you use them for a cell phone for example the cords are lying all over the shifter gate. How about in the cubby where the cel phone sits???

5)This one is rich! No way to close the dash vents?? If i have the air on and my wife is cold (as she usually is) she cant stop the air from hitting her. C'mon you guys new here??

6)I understand they fixed this for 2005 but it bugs me cause i have a 2004. The home link buttons are not lit and you can barely reach them. Do the japanese have extra long arms??

7)Whats up with the middle seat belt on the 3rd row?? U need a key or screw driver to release it....something that every kid has handy.

8)I must include in this list the extensive rattles that seem to appear and then disapear constantly. Every week there are new ones to look forward to. Reminds me of my first car..a 1963 Rambler with 150,000 miles on it.......Uggh!

9)The brakes on the Mada are just too small. I have had them fixed once but they still are not up to the task. Hopefully the recall will fix the problem.

10)Lastly I must complain about the constant minor defects that force me to keep bringing the thing into the dealer. So far i have had the following defects dealt with:

a)Sunroof leak
b)Hood struts failed
c)shimmy at 70mph
d)seats creeking
e)rear qtr window motor noise
f)Wind noise through winshield
g)Brake pads replaced and rotors turned at 3000miles
h)Drivers power window switch stopped working
i) Sunroof wond noise
j)Rear roof rack inserts were sagging

Having said all this there are some thins that I love about the Armada. I love the size, space and look. I love the solid feel and towing ability.

If Nissan can get the bugs worked out and more importantly look after the current owners along the way, they will have a real winner.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
bubbagump said:
2) The seat memory controls are in the most inconvient place imaginable. I'm 6'0 and cant reach them let alone see them and I couldnt imagine if I was an average Japanese male who is 5'5".......yikes!!

6)I understand they fixed this for 2005 but it bugs me cause i have a 2004. The home link buttons are not lit and you can barely reach them. Do the japanese have extra long arms??

c)shimmy at 70mph
I definitely think that some things were put in obscure places :huh: . I don't think this vehicle is for the vertically challenged. :teeth:

What do you mean by "Shimmy at 70mph"...is that the same as steering vibration when traveling at that speed. That seems to be what is happening to me, when I hit 75-80mph my steering wheel starts to judder. (might need to post a new thread to see if anyone else is getting the same thing)

Thanks...I enjoyed you comments! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts