Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, first I'd like to say I've been a bit of a lurker for many years, and I thank all of you who've posted your info, trials and tribulations for us to all to learn by - Thank you. Your information has kept my last two '04 Armada's going.
My neighbour is looking at selling his 2006 QX56. For an old SUV, it's in remarkable shape. Its got 166 miles on it, air ride/auto levelling still works, AC works well, Nav still works (but has never been updated - it's pretty funny) and there isn't a single tear in the leather seats, even though there has been 4 kids in the truck for the last 8 years. It's a nice charcoal grey colour. The truck is an upgrade from my current '04 SE.
However, the digital dash has some LEDs not working; -
  • oil temp (some are brighter indicators than others)
  • trans temp and voltage gauges above the tach simply don't light up at all
  • Fuel gauge often doesn't work when started, but if shut off and started immediately, then the fuel gauge works
It's a nice truck, but electrics do scare me. With all your help, I have replaced 4 hubs and a front driveshaft on my last two Mada's, managed to fix a number of quirky things over the years. But I read all 26 pages of the QX 56 section tonight - took me 3 hours of reading- and only found a couple of gauge cluster issues with tachs and so on - nothing about changing LED's in a currently digital dash. I know the sensors themselves are suspect, especially the oil pressure sensor on the motor - but it's easy enough to change. I fell this dash issue this is more to do with the gauge cluster itself.
QX56_Dash2.jpg

The truck is being offered cheap - that's not an issue. But I don't want to run without gauges. I tow my Datsun '69 510 track car with my current Armada, and haul the family of six summer and winter just about everywhere if they are all coming - and they usually bring friends so often all 8 seats are full. If not - I use the Xterra - mostly because it's manual and it wheels well - wish a manual 6 speeds was available in the full size SUV's. It's a bit of Nissan family.

Any suggestions on the gauge cluster diagnosis and fix would be very much appreciated. Even pointing me to some literature would be of great help. I'm a machinist by trade and a reasonable fabricator. But electronics - I don't have many tools and not a whole lot of knowledge. Thanks in advance.

Byron

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Has anyone on this forum used this service? Are they what they claim?
I see no feedback on their site.
Thanks again.
Byron.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, first I'd like to say I've been a bit of a lurker for many years, and I thank all of you who've posted your info, trials and tribulations for us to all to learn by - Thank you. Your information has kept my last two '04 Armada's going.
My neighbour is looking at selling his 2006 QX56. For an old SUV, it's in remarkable shape. Its got 166 miles on it, air ride/auto levelling still works, AC works well, Nav still works (but has never been updated - it's pretty funny) and there isn't a single tear in the leather seats, even though there has been 4 kids in the truck for the last 8 years. It's a nice charcoal grey colour. The truck is an upgrade from my current '04 SE.
However, the digital dash has some LEDs not working; -
  • oil temp (some are brighter indicators than others)
  • trans temp and voltage gauges above the tach simply don't light up at all
  • Fuel gauge often doesn't work when started, but if shut off and started immediately, then the fuel gauge works
It's a nice truck, but electrics do scare me. With all your help, I have replaced 4 hubs and a front driveshaft on my last two Mada's, managed to fix a number of quirky things over the years. But I read all 26 pages of the QX 56 section tonight - took me 3 hours of reading- and only found a couple of gauge cluster issues with tachs and so on - nothing about changing LED's in a currently digital dash. I know the sensors themselves are suspect, especially the oil pressure sensor on the motor - but it's easy enough to change. I fell this dash issue this is more to do with the gauge cluster itself.
View attachment 49084
The truck is being offered cheap - that's not an issue. But I don't want to run without gauges. I tow my Datsun '69 510 track car with my current Armada, and haul the family of six summer and winter just about everywhere if they are all coming - and they usually bring friends so often all 8 seats are full. If not - I use the Xterra - mostly because it's manual and it wheels well - wish a manual 6 speeds was available in the full size SUV's. It's a bit of Nissan family.

Any suggestions on the gauge cluster diagnosis and fix would be very much appreciated. Even pointing me to some literature would be of great help. I'm a machinist by trade and a reasonable fabricator. But electronics - I don't have many tools and not a whole lot of knowledge. Thanks in advance.

Byron
Hey I have that exact model that your looking at...My cluster had all kinds of issues..I sent min to Cluster fix.com..265.00 2weeks and 3 year warranty they not only fix what you describe for that price but all 6 of the known issues with that model ...Hipe that helps...It is worth the money mine is brand new now

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am in the same boat and heard about clusterfix.com and planned on using their service. They actually made a specific youtube video regarding the Armada / QX56
Also, PiClusters.com do upgrades to the bulb/appearance but I'm not sure if they actually "fix" gauge issues

1 - 5 of 5 Posts