Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recived an estimate for my 2004 Armada SE 15,000 mile service. It will cost $230.00 minus the $15.00 for the Wynn's oil change program for total of $215.00 with no car rental. Is this too much for this service? Should this sevice come with changing the In-cabin Microfilter? The sevice depot told me the Microfilter is not included in the 215.00 price because not every nissan comes with this option. I think he is full of crap since the maintenance book from the manufactur has changing the In-Cabin Microfilter in all three (3) Schedules. Changing the filter would cost about $70.00. Can someone shed some light on this matter? Thanks. :confused:

P.S. Price range differs so much. At the next dealer over in San Jose, Ca. they wanted $499.00 with a rental car. :eek:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,363 Posts
paulgator68 said:
I just recived an estimate for my 2004 Armada SE 15,000 mile service. It will cost $230.00 minus the $15.00 for the Wynn's oil change program for total of $215.00 with no car rental. Is this too much for this service? Should this sevice come with changing the In-cabin Microfilter? The sevice depot told me the Microfilter is not included in the 215.00 price because not every nissan comes with this option. I think he is full of crap since the maintenance book from the manufactur has changing the In-Cabin Microfilter in all three (3) Schedules. Changing the filter would cost about $70.00. Can someone shed some light on this matter? Thanks. :confused:

P.S. Price range differs so much. At the next dealer over in San Jose, Ca. they wanted $499.00 with a rental car. :eek:
I never have a dealer do my services. Most of the things you can do yourself like change an air filter, etc. I'd go through the list of things they recommend, do what you can yourself, and have a local guy do the rest. No reason to pay a stealer $100 for a $10 air filter that takes 30 seconds to install. :rolleyes:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
This can turn into a great thread

How about someone list exactly what's needed at 15k:
Oil and filter change
front and rear diff oil change
air filter
inside air filter

what else?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
910 Posts
Sounds like a complete service to me. Most of the oil and lube places around here will do diffs as well, and you can specify the fluid you want. The microfilter is right behind the glove box and would take you all of about 10 minutes to change it, and is available at the dealer.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,363 Posts
andy said:
How about someone list exactly what's needed at 15k:
Oil and filter change
front and rear diff oil change air filter
inside air filter

what else?
Oil and filter change $50 if synthetic, $30 standard, $20 less if you do it yourself
front and rear diff oil change $75 synthetic, $50 otherwise(if you have a 4x4 and also do the transfer case) again, less if you do it yourself
air filter ($10 filter, do yourself)
inside air filter (air micro filter? $25+/- for filters, do yourself)
You may also want to change the trans oil or do a tune-up. I don't think either are included at 15K though and probably don't need to be done until later.

So if you do the Nissan stuff, standard oil, etc. It should be $125 tops. Do it yourself, $75? Not too much. I did my diffs and transfer with first oil change at 1500 miles with mobil synthetics. Should be good for a while. ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,582 Posts
92TripleBlack said:
Oil and filter change $50 if synthetic, $30 standard, $20 less if you do it yourself
Where are you finding synthetic oil changes for $50? The cheapest I have found is $55, but then they add another $10 for the Armada, due to the amount of oil required (nearly 7 qts). The "st"ealer wants $85!!! And that is with a coupon for a $24.95 basic oil change!

A comment to the original poster, compare what the dealer is recommending for the 15,000 mile service with what is recommended by Nissan (from your manual). A lot of time, the dealer adds in a bunch of stuff that is not listed in your maintenance manual. Some of it is good practice, but some of it is also just a great way to boost profits!

Keith
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks my Armad friends. Almost 7 quarts of oil! I think the $15 off the $230.00 is not enough discount. That’s price when I change the oil in my 4 cylinder Honda Accord Well I guess I will only have the dealer do the oil and filter change since it is already paid for. This also gives me the opportunity to present all the brake, squeaks and TSB issues that Nissan blundered. As for the filters (air, fuel, oil) and fluids are you using Nissan parts or standard parts one would find at AutoZone or Pepboys? :excellent
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,363 Posts
Campfamily said:
Where are you finding synthetic oil changes for $50? The cheapest I have found is $55, but then they add another $10 for the Armada, due to the amount of oil required (nearly 7 qts). The "st"ealer wants $85!!! And that is with a coupon for a $24.95 basic oil change!

A comment to the original poster, compare what the dealer is recommending for the 15,000 mile service with what is recommended by Nissan (from your manual). A lot of time, the dealer adds in a bunch of stuff that is not listed in your maintenance manual. Some of it is good practice, but some of it is also just a great way to boost profits!

Keith
Walmart and Exxon Express have done them for me. Little more if you want a synthetic filter. Most of the extra is to boost profit. Ex. Cheching wiper blades, wiper fluid, lights, tire pressure, etc. You should know if any of these need replacing/refilling. They may also rotate tires. You can do it for free but it can be a PITA if you don't have jack stands.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,582 Posts
92TripleBlack said:
Walmart and Exxon Express have done them for me. Little more if you want a synthetic filter. Most of the extra is to boost profit. Ex. Cheching wiper blades, wiper fluid, lights, tire pressure, etc. You should know if any of these need replacing/refilling. They may also rotate tires. You can do it for free but it can be a PITA if you don't have jack stands.
Hadn't looked at Walmart or Exxon Express. Jiffy Lube and Eagle Service are the two places I've checked, currently using Eagle Service for both of my cars. You're right, the rest of the stuff I can check myself. As far as tire rotation, I do that myself, a good chance to clean the inside portions of the rims.

Keith
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,363 Posts
rdibene said:
By taking your car to get serviced some place else, other than Nissan, will this void the warranty in any way?
As far as I know, they can't as long as you can demonstrate the work was done (receipts) and they use the proper stuff (oil weight, etc.). The government for example has ruled that if you change your oil, dealers can't penalize you if you use an aftermarket brand that meets minimum requirements for the vehicle. They tried to do this 15 years ago unsuccessfully. ;)

I believe at this point, just like adding an aftermarket part, they need to prove the work done or part used directly caused the problem claimed in order to deny the warranty coverage. But read your warranty agreement if you have a question. ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
178 Posts
92TripleBlack said:
Walmart and Exxon Express have done them for me. Little more if you want a synthetic filter. Most of the extra is to boost profit. Ex. Cheching wiper blades, wiper fluid, lights, tire pressure, etc. You should know if any of these need replacing/refilling. They may also rotate tires. You can do it for free but it can be a PITA if you don't have jack stands.
What the heck is a synthetic oil filter?? I have never heard of that? :confused:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,363 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
178 Posts
92TripleBlack said:
Hmm, pretty neat! Never heard about or seen those before. Must be relatively new.

What's the reccomended oil weight for our Armada's anyway? Don't say read the manual, I'm at work and too busy (lazy) ;) to search google or Nissan.com.
I'm at 9K miles now and gonna head to Costco after work to pick up some synthetic...but I'm pretty sure I have only seen 10W30 there?? T :D hanks!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,409 Posts
PumaFiveOh said:
Hmm, pretty neat! Never heard about or seen those before. Must be relatively new.

What's the reccomended oil weight for our Armada's anyway? Don't say read the manual, I'm at work and too busy (lazy) ;) to search google or Nissan.com.
I'm at 9K miles now and gonna head to Costco after work to pick up some synthetic...but I'm pretty sure I have only seen 10W30 there?? T :D hanks!
No, They do have 5w30 too ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,363 Posts
They recommend 5w30 in the manual. :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
547 Posts
92TripleBlack said:
I never have a dealer do my services. Most of the things you can do yourself like change an air filter, etc. I'd go through the list of things they recommend, do what you can yourself, and have a local guy do the rest. No reason to pay a stealer $100 for a $10 air filter that takes 30 seconds to install. :rolleyes:

I'm wit Black, Look at the items for this check and you can probably do most, if not all, yourself. :cool:
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top