Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a lot of issues with my 2017 Nissan Armada and am guessing it is stemming from one sensor or issue but can't find the same issues happening to someone on any forums.

Issues I am having:

Car doesn't seem to be sensing brake pedal push. I see on the screen when I get in the car to push brake and push start button. The car only goes to accessory, then on with a second push (without starting the car "on"). I assume this is an issue with the brake not being sensed? Sometimes it starts though without any issues.

Traction Control Light comes on and stays on at random. Sometimes while driving, sometimes right when the car is started. This issues is less frequent, but locks the shifter from moving out of park when it happens from startup.

I got the truck about 6 months ago and immediately had remote start professionally installed. I thought this could be the issue but they assured me the systems they tie into are not related. Still seems an odd coincidence to me.

From what Ive read it could be:
  • Brake Sensor
  • Wiring Issue
  • Camshaft/crankshaft Sensor
  • ABS or Traction Control Computer Systems
  • Wheel Speed Sensor
Im hoping someone has resolved this or a similar issue so I can avoid buying and replacing sensors one by one guessing, or at least have most likely items to start with.

Thank you for any help!!
Tim

·
Super Moderator
5,481 Posts
hello and welcome.

simply put, why dont you take it to nissan, have them smoke it over and tell you exactly what the issue(s) could be.

if you are unwilling to do that, your first order of business is getting your obd scanned for any trouble codes. this is your first line of defense.

you have a newish car. did all of these issue start all at once or over time? its possible there may be something amiss that could be covered under a factory warranty, so again may be worth the time and the 80 dollar diag fee to find out.

anyway to try and speculate:

the brake pedal issue could be a faulty brake pedal sensor.

I got the truck about 6 months ago and immediately had remote start professionally installed.
well this made me pause. you must press the pedal to override the remote start system once you get in the car or once you try to put it in drive it will shut off, so this looks like a potential red flag to me.

any electrical mod can cause any number of gremlins to appear if the mod was not done properly. no disrespect to the vendor who did the install, but of course they are not going to say "ooh yeah we messed up.. our fault".

the car has a computer network called the CANBUS. its a serial data connection computer network. all the sensors are in series and if something happens upstream it can affect other sensors downstream.

id want to get this remote start system looked at again to make sure they did not inadvertently mess something up...otherwise my novie opinion is you may be chasing you tail if you are looking at other places.. I mean the car is a 2017! its practically brand new.. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:
Replaced the brake sensor which fixed the starting issue. BUT...

Now the brakes locked out when driving and have to get it towed. Traction control light on as well.

Any thoughts??

·
Super Moderator
5,481 Posts
I think its related to the remote start.. speculation though :)
I’d you have a nyc trouble codes at the obd port? Worth a look there.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Take it back to whoever did your remote start and have them pull it out. 90% sure they screwed it up. :) I did my remote start and I bought a harness so it was plug and play. The connection at the start button is likely spliced poorly and making a bad contact.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got the Armada back from the dealer! (they were backed up on workload)

Turns out the cruise control sensor and brake sensor needed "re-adjusted" and that was all.

$135 diagnostic fee was all I paid and it is so far running good as new. Well worth just taking it in!

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Just had this same problem with our 2017 Armada - stranded us twice. First dealer (the worst) said it was clearly the battery. Second dealer (our new favorite) said nope, it's the brake sensor switch. Replaced it under warranty with no issues. They told us they've seen 3-4 with this same issue - assume it's a bad batch of sensors.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Just had same issue over last month. Nissan replaces brake sensor. I have extended warranty and it was covered.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having a lot of issues with my 2017 Nissan Armada and am guessing it is stemming from one sensor or issue but can't find the same issues happening to someone on any forums.

Issues I am having:

Car doesn't seem to be sensing brake pedal push. I see on the screen when I get in the car to push brake and push start button. The car only goes to accessory, then on with a second push (without starting the car "on"). I assume this is an issue with the brake not being sensed? Sometimes it starts though without any issues.

Traction Control Light comes on and stays on at random. Sometimes while driving, sometimes right when the car is started. This issues is less frequent, but locks the shifter from moving out of park when it happens from startup.

I got the truck about 6 months ago and immediately had remote start professionally installed. I thought this could be the issue but they assured me the systems they tie into are not related. Still seems an odd coincidence to me.

From what Ive read it could be:
  • Brake Sensor
  • Wiring Issue
  • Camshaft/crankshaft Sensor
  • ABS or Traction Control Computer Systems
  • Wheel Speed Sensor
Im hoping someone has resolved this or a similar issue so I can avoid buying and replacing sensors one by one guessing, or at least have most likely items to start with.

Thank you for any help!!
Tim
Exact same problems!!!! Did you ever find a solution?

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
It is an old problem since 2010.
It was on the Patrols and is on the Arnadas...
The contracts in the brake sensor a burning (see photo).
A 5$ replacement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you to all who have contributed to this thread. I think it has finally solved my headaches on our 18 SV with 19k on the ticker. We have the traction control random light coming on and the brake pedal sensor not recognizing the pedal being depressed in order to start the engine. I showed this thread to my service writer at the dealer this morning and he is going to have his mechanic look at the thread as well. Thanks, Jeff

Update on our 2018 SV AWD. Service writer says the mechanic was ABLE to replicate the no start that seemed to be not recognizing your foot pressed on the brake pedal causing a no start. They reviewed this thread and the mechanic was also in contact with Nissan technical support according to the service writer. They are replacing the brake sensor and are also claiming that this will clear up our random traction control light that occurred at least once while driving down the road. We will be getting the vehicle back this afternoon. Keeping our fingers crossed.

Got the 18 SV AWD back from the dealer. Here's the part for the brake lamp switch that was replaced for reference. So far so good, but time will tell.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Finally got the Armada back from the dealer! (they were backed up on workload)

Turns out the cruise control sensor and brake sensor needed "re-adjusted" and that was all.

$135 diagnostic fee was all I paid and it is so far running good as new. Well worth just taking it in!
Hello. Has the problem continued? I have had the same exact issue with my 17 sentra since 4 months after buying it (brand new). Nissan Dealership fixes it, giving me excuses about wiring and or recalled parts, but the problem begins again every 4- 6 months after they fix it. Im so frustrated. I have to take it to them again for this issue, which will make it about the 5th time

·
Registered
1 Posts
Following up on this with our own issue - I am very confused. We have a 2019 Armada SL just under warranty mileage. A few hundred miles ago I got a random BI malfunction warning on the display. The error went away after shutting off the engine and has never come back. Fast forward to this past weekend my wife drove 90 miles out of town and parked overnight. The next day it would not start and she had it jumped. She drove home again and parked overnight. In the morning again it would not start. I got in and tried and the engine was trying to turn over. It sounded to me like a very weak battery. I charged the battery and was able to start the car which is another indication to me of a failed battery. So I drive it to the dealer and indicated everything above. They said they would test the entire charging system and also noticed a recall where they needed to upgrade the software. I said go for it. Their solution was the bad brake sensor so they replaced it as well as updating the software.

I got home a couple hours ago so we'll see if this solves the problem. However here is why I am confused and maybe others can clear this up for me based on your own experiences. I would expect that if the brake sensor was the problem, it would not even attempt to start. I would expect it would do no more than go into accessory mode. In our case the starter engaged and the engine attempted to start just very weak.

My question is to anyone who has experienced a failed brake sensor is when attempting to start - was the engine trying to turn over or was it silent?

·
Registered
7 Posts
My wife, experienced a weak start attempt once or twice before we had the dealer replace the brake lamp switch.
On Another note, a friend at work has a Sentra Nismo and he has experienced the same weak attempt to start the engine. He chalked it up to not pushing the pedal hard enough to engage the brake lamp switch. Also, I explained to him the pic that someone posted in this thread with a bad brake lamp switch that the contact was burning / scorched / arced. With that in mind, perhaps its possible that a bad contact or not complete contact on the switch is causing an arc (linked to a weak start attempt) and in turn smoking the contact itself? Anyways thats my .02.

·
Registered
2019 Armada SL
6 Posts
It is an old problem since 2010.
It was on the Patrols and is on the Arnadas...
The contracts in the brake sensor a burning (see photo).
A 5$ replacement.
Hey, Xyclon, where did you find the part for $5? RA has the whole assembly for $16, but if the contacts are replaceable by themselves, bonus.

Easy to get to? Looks like it's literally on the brake pedal arm...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts