Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The short of it is. 50,000 miles platinum Extended warranty in place and all repairs made under warranty but dealer seems less than competent in trouble shooting. Rear end goes side to side over most bumps in the road. What I have done so far is.
1. New struts up front because it originally presented as a bump steer issue.
Result. Slightly increased ride quality rear still squirly.
2. Full alignment. It was not off by much.
Result. No noticeable difference.
3. Had rear ride height sensor replaced.
Result. Seemed better to me but wife drove it and said it is just as bad, it is her daily.
4. Pressure tested system and it is holding air.
5. Adjusted ride height to 36” in rear to see if that helps but have not driven far enough to see if it helped.
Other info. When I bounce on the rear of car it moves easily and takes 1 to 2 more bounces to settle. When I do the same test with a new Armada it settles as soon as I quit pushing. I don’t like that test as the new one has about 50 miles on it so not really fair.
We are taking it back to the shop on Thursday so they can have it a couple of days. Before that does anyone have any oter ideas?

thanks,

first time posting but lurk here a lot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps one of the rear shocks is blown and the rear suspension is rocking because the springs are doing all the work.
I thought that but the system is holding air. Is there any other dampining in the shocks besides the air? I would just do a gas conversion but nobody seems to have one for a second gen.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yes. The rear shocks also have valving for rebound and compression. They can fail.

If it bounces without settling that is a good sign that the valves or a seal are shot.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
You know??? I'm experiencing the same thing on my 2011 Armada Platinum. Since owning it back in 2015 @ 25K. It's now @ 100+k and always been a stiffer ride. Meaning I feel the bumps much more than my 2013.Wife and kids notice it too. Also I would feel the rear end sway a bit when going over several bumps at once. Especially a combination of bumps and a turn. I've always thought of it as being normal for a Platinum. So I never bothered addressing the issue. Now I need to look into it more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will let you know. My new shocks should be here today. The dealer is also replacing the control arms but after lurking here I am convinced the shocks are the issue.

Just put the new shocks on. The passenger side had zero compression or resistance. I haven’t even driven it yet but am sure the new shocks will solve the problem. Thanks Rustproof and Obxpatrol for the help. Toname, might be the same issue. what sucks about the air shocks is a plain visual inspection does not show signs of leaking because the airbag surrounds the internals of the shock.
thanks again.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Just put the new shocks on. The passenger side had zero compression or resistance. I haven’t even driven it yet but am sure the new shocks will solve the problem. Thanks Rustproof and Obxpatrol for the help. Toname, might be the same issue. what sucks about the air shocks is a plain visual inspection does not show signs of leaking because the airbag surrounds the internals of the shock.
thanks again.
Yeah, I agree about the physical visual inspection. Even now my 2011 doesn't even show any signs of sag and height looks normal. Only indicators are the stiff ride and jumping around on bumps. Great job. Please let me know how everything turns out. If all is good, I'll be getting the same suspension package you got.
No sense reinventing the wheel (figure of speech), get what works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Drove it this afternoon and it is cured. You have a first gen. I wouls save some grief and just convert to gas shocks and ditch the air. Strut masters sells a full package for less than I paid for for factory shocks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The short of it is. 50,000 miles platinum Extended warranty in place and all repairs made under warranty but dealer seems less than competent in trouble shooting. Rear end goes side to side over most bumps in the road. What I have done so far is.
1. New struts up front because it originally presented as a bump steer issue.
Result. Slightly increased ride quality rear still squirly.
2. Full alignment. It was not off by much.
Result. No noticeable difference.
3. Had rear ride height sensor replaced.
Result. Seemed better to me but wife drove it and said it is just as bad, it is her daily.
4. Pressure tested system and it is holding air.
5. Adjusted ride height to 36” in rear to see if that helps but have not driven far enough to see if it helped.
Other info. When I bounce on the rear of car it moves easily and takes 1 to 2 more bounces to settle. When I do the same test with a new Armada it settles as soon as I quit pushing. I don’t like that test as the new one has about 50 miles on it so not really fair.
We are taking it back to the shop on Thursday so they can have it a couple of days. Before that does anyone have any oter ideas?

thanks,

first time posting but lurk here a lot.
I have a 2019 with 40000 and mine dances all over the road. Real sketchy when i'm above 40 MPH. Feels like tires are over inflated but they aren't. My mechanic took a quick look when he was doing an oil change and said he did not see anything out of the norm. Vehicle does not sag on any of the four corners, just feels like the stiffest suspension ever.
Thoughts??

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
I have a 2019 with 40000 and mine dances all over the road. Real sketchy when i'm above 40 MPH. Feels like tires are over inflated but they aren't. My mechanic took a quick look when he was doing an oil change and said he did not see anything out of the norm. Vehicle does not sag on any of the four corners, just feels like the stiffest suspension ever.
Thoughts??
You don't happen to have rear air suspension do you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thoughts??
If you have the rear air, definitely check the shock itself. with the air boot, you could have a blown out shock like I did and there is no visual clue because of the air bag. If you have a lift let the air out o& the system and push up on the back tires. If you have a bad shock it will be obvious which one it is. If no lift you can jack up and remove the shocks and test by hand. My bolts were on pretty good, to the tune of a 3’ breaker bar needed to get them off. The other thing I di was had my wife drive and I went beside her in another car. the wheel with the bad shock was jumping up and down at about 60mph.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts