Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, and merry Christmas to all.

So I was thinking to lift my Armada a couple of inches and it seems like the only good option for the rear is PRG, but I'm just not sure which one to buy, there is a PRG Armada Levelling Kit and the Prg Armada 2" Rear spacers + Armada 5100 spacer kit.
According with what I understand (maybe I'm wrong), with the levelling kit I'll get 2.125 inches lift (fwd and rear) and with the 2 inches spacers plus the 5100 spacer kit I´ll get 2 inches, so can I use the levelling kit and buy separately the bilstein shocks? anybody did this?

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
There should be an option for just the rear spacers. The 2" spacers + 5100s is so you can lift the rear with the spacers and front using the highest setting on the Bilteins (some say it creates a harsher/stiffer ride on highest setting). The leveling kit raises the front and back with spacers. Here's the product page link: http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/category/armada/armada_suspension/

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
I have Bilstein 5100s on the highest setting in the front - no noticeable change in ride quality IMO - and 2" spacers under the rear springs plus spring spacers in the back. If your rear air shocks don't leak then you won't need the rear end spacers since it will auto rise to match the front. If your truck is more than 5-7 years old, you'll probably need the rear spacers. You really need more than 2" spacers in the back if you want the rear to stay up even with the truck off, since the air shocks deflate over time, in just a few hours in my case.

Even with the high 5100s and double rear spacers installed, the truck rides fine and maybe a little better than stock, probably due to the 5100s being more predictable than the crappy OEM leaky front coilovers.

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,993 Posts
The 5100 are height adjustable shocks, so you just install them on the top perch then add the spring spacers to the rear. That's a great way to go, IMO.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
I must say though, when I bought my first Armada I wanted that 2" increment so I installed the 5100s right away and never knew nothing different. I never liked how unstable the ride felt going at highway speeds.

Now that I have my newer mada and I have not mess with front suspension (yet) I can tell right away how much better the ride quality is when the front spring coils are not so compressed (like the would be on the 5100s top setting).

So I would recommend the 5100s or the HD with a 2" spacer.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
The best riding setup I've found for my Armada is running Icon coilovers in the front and Rancho 9000 XL shocks, PRG 2" coil spacers, and Moog 81085 springs in the rear. Really happy with this setup!

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
The best riding setup I've found for my Armada is running Icon coilovers in the front and Rancho 9000 XL shocks, PRG 2" coil spacers, and Moog 81085 springs in the rear. Really happy with this setup!
I just picked up Rancho's and Moog's for the rear. Haven't decided on the front or the spacers yet. You just made my decision that much harder with the Icon coilovers. They aren't cheap, but obviously a quality option. Do you have a pic of how the truck sits?

Still trying to figure out why the PRG spacers are different from any others.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Only pic I have right now on the current setup.

This is about 2" lift in the front and 2.5" in the rear. I still need to adjust the front up a little bit, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
^^^ That right there looks just right. Is that a Dirt King pre-runner front bumper?

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Afternoon Armada folks. I'm Michael and currently have my second Armada, a 2008 LE with a shot Airride system. I've been looking into the whole suspension discussion and read through this thread and the one mentioned in the second post of this thread. All very good information. I have a plan that I'd like to get some opinions on. I'm considering the following purchases to redo my suspension and in the end gain a 2" lift.

Bilstein 5100 series shock kit for Titans with adjustable fronts/fixed rears. ~ $357 Amazon
Moog 81085 Coil Springs for the rear ~ $91 Amazon
PRG 2" rear spacers ~ $149 PRG

This seems to be a fairly common set of components used by folks here, though I've not yet found anyone using them all in this exact combination... Would love to hear your thoughts. Also wondering about concerns around having the Bilsteins in the front all the way up..saw mention of a harsher ride with them that way. Based on a desire to improve my ride quality (which is very harsh right now as the system seems to be shot entirely) wondering if I should consider the 1.5" spacers in the back and just use the 1.5 spot on the Bilsteins, or would you recomend something else?

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
You can't use Titan rear shocks on an Armada, they're different. Also, Bilstein doesn't make rear shocks for the Armada. I'm using Rancho RS9000XL shocks in the rear and I've been really happy with them. If you don't want to break the bank, just go with the Bilsteins up front. If you have money to spend, you can get a set of Icon coilovers for the front. Even smoother than the Bilsteins.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
x1s1x300 - Thanks very much for that extremely important piece of information. SOmehow I missed that in all the reading. So besides the springs in the back, what else do I absolutley have to do to replace the Air ride stuff?

Edit - Would these be the correct Rancho Shocks?
Rancho RS999306 RS9000XL Series Shock

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
x1s1x300 - Thanks very much for that extremely important piece of information. SOmehow I missed that in all the reading. So besides the springs in the back, what else do I absolutley have to do to replace the Air ride stuff?

Edit - Would these be the correct Rancho Shocks?
Rancho RS999306 RS9000XL Series Shock
I'm also about to ditch my rear air leveling in my 04 QX56. So are the RS999306 and RS9000XL the same?

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
All, I just installed the rear Bilstein modded shocks on my '04 with moog 81085 and rancho 2" coil spacers. I am now experiencing swaying in snowy environment. I have 4 wheel drive engaged. Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts