Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey community! First post here but I'd like to express my gratitude for having such a resource available. I created an audio file to get everything in without writing a book but essentially the following is happening.

• hard shift when it's cold
  • loss of reverse & any gear other than 1st until the vehicle is turned off & back on
  • shifts much better when it's warmer
  • seem to only have 3 gears at its best ( 3rd gear ~ 60mph @ 2.8-3k RMPs)

I keep thinking this is an electrical issue because the vehicle loses reverse & every gear but 1st until it's turned off & back on.

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

2006 QX56 shifting issues

·
Super Moderator
6,014 Posts
hi and welcome.

reads like tranny issues and/or incorrect fluid or low nissan tranny fluid.

what is your mileage?
have you had the car since new?
if you purchased it used? when did you purchase?
did this start happening once you got the car or over time?
have you checked the obd port for any codes?

the hard shifting suggests low trannt fluid
losing certain gears and not getting them back until you reset (turn the car off/then back on) suggests the car is going into limp mode.

first steps are to get the obd codes from the car and go from there.

i did not listen to the sound clip - just based my opinions off your description. im not a mechanic.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Hey community! First post here but I'd like to express my gratitude for having such a resource available. I created an audio file to get everything in without writing a book but essentially the following is happening.

• hard shift when it's cold
  • loss of reverse & any gear other than 1st until the vehicle is turned off & back on
  • shifts much better when it's warmer
  • seem to only have 3 gears at its best ( 3rd gear ~ 60mph @ 2.8-3k RMPs)

I keep thinking this is an electrical issue because the vehicle loses reverse & every gear but 1st until it's turned off & back on.

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

2006 QX56 shifting issues
When there is a fault detected by the TCM the transmission goes into "limp mode" . Which allow you to continue to drive in lower gears until you turn off and restart again. Did you get a "MIL" or a "A/T Check" light? Maybe even both? Have this happened before? Have you check your ATF level? a low fluid level will sometimes not make the transmission shift correctly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks guys for the quick replies! I believe I have around 130k miles and I'm at least the 3rd owner so who knows what was done or not done as far as maintenance prior to me. It just started having issues with shifting this winter season and has gotten steadily worse. I have checked the transmission fluid and the level seemed to be spot on but I have to admit it's relatively dark, almost dark brown or black evening. I'm guessing I should most likely change the fluid, maybe flush it and probably take the pan off and clean it?? I have not gotten any OBD codes and never got a MIL or A/T light. I'm going to wait until one of you right back and confirm changing the fluid, at the very least, is relatively on track.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Hey thanks guys for the quick replies! I believe I have around 130k miles and I'm at least the 3rd owner so who knows what was done or not done as far as maintenance prior to me. It just started having issues with shifting this winter season and has gotten steadily worse. I have checked the transmission fluid and the level seemed to be spot on but I have to admit it's relatively dark, almost dark brown or black evening. I'm guessing I should most likely change the fluid, maybe flush it and probably take the pan off and clean it?? I have not gotten any OBD codes and never got a MIL or A/T light. I'm going to wait until one of you right back and confirm changing the fluid, at the very least, is relatively on track.
No flush, just drain and fill plus oil pan clean. Maybe twice drain and fill a tank full apart.

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No flush, just drain and fill plus oil pan clean. Maybe twice drain and fill a tank full apart.
Thanks toname. To be clear and so I'm on the same page ... are you talking about the transmission pan or the oil pan? And by twice drain and fill a tank full apart??? Do you mean to fill with new tranny fluid, drain, fill it with the same fluid again, drain... then fill with it with new fluid? I'm sorry if I'm not following the lingo. Just need to be clear. Thanks again.

Are 11.2 quarts of transmission fluid correct for the 2006 QX56? Seems like a LOT. Also, should I add a bottle of Lucas?

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Thanks toname. To be clear and so I'm on the same page ... are you talking about the transmission pan or the oil pan? And by twice drain and fill a tank full apart??? Do you mean to fill with new tranny fluid, drain, fill it with the same fluid again, drain... then fill with it with new fluid? I'm sorry if I'm not following the lingo. Just need to be clear. Thanks again.
just the transmission pan and transmission fluid. Drain and drop the pan, clean then fill. taking note of how much came out. Then fill with the same amount. Run for about a tank full. Then Drain the fluid again and refill again. No need to drop the pan a second time. Take note how dirty the transmission fluid looks. Before Draining the second time. compared to now. All this also observing how it drives.

what I mean by a tank full. is after the first drain and fill. Drive your truck for at least a tank full of gas. Then do your second drain and fill. Best to do the drain when engine is cold 12-24hrs. The drain and fill method does not drain the entire fluid inside the transmission. it is what I call a natural fluid flush. By mixing whatever fluid is left in the transmission with clean fluid. it naturally cleans the transmission by normal driving. Then Drain and fill again. The way shops do a transmission fluid flush. is they use a pressure system that forces fluid throughout the transmission, in turn picks up dirt from your pan and may cause these dirt partials to clog your transmission's delicate components. Hope I explained it well.

use fresh new Fluid each time. use approved fluid only. Nissan brand if you can afford it.

Are 11.2 quarts of transmission fluid correct for the 2006 QX56? Seems like a LOT. Also, should I add a bottle of Lucas?
11.2 is how much your entire transmission system holds. but you will not drain the entire fluid, but you will at least use that much doing the drain and fill twice. measure what comes out of the drain pan and fill with the same fresh amount.

don't add anything... just fresh new fluid

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much toname. I've written technical FAQs for over 20 years so I can certainly appreciate well written instructions. Informative and easy to follow. I appreciate you taking the time. I will certainly update this post once I have completed the entire process.

Thanks again and fingers crossed.

Trip

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Thank you so much toname. I've written technical FAQs for over 20 years so I can certainly appreciate well written instructions. Informative and easy to follow. I appreciate you taking the time. I will certainly update this post once I have completed the entire process.

Thanks again and fingers crossed.

Trip
Trip one thing to note, when you drop the pan for cleaning. Some of the pan bolts are longer than others make sure you mark which hole have the longer bolts and put back in the same holes. Since you are dropping the pan... it does hurt to replace the filter inside but not necessary... check condition of pan gasket. You should also find a magnetic disk inside the pan... This is used to attract metallic particles and keep them from recirculating in the transmission. Clean this disk and replace back in pan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will do. The bolts remind me of the first time I took apart a MacBook pro laptop LMAO I did not realize the screws were different sizes depending on their location. That sucked so yeah, I appreciate you mentioning that for sure. And like you said, it couldn't hurt to replace the filter, especially since I don't have any maintenance logs on the previous owners. My thinking maybe incorrect but it makes sense to replace the filter after I drain the fluid for the second and final time, correct?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Will do. The bolts remind me of the first time I took apart a MacBook pro laptop LMAO I did not realize the screws were different sizes depending on their location. That sucked so yeah, I appreciate you mentioning that for sure. And like you said, it couldn't hurt to replace the filter, especially since I don't have any maintenance logs on the previous owners. My thinking maybe incorrect but it makes sense to replace the filter after I drain the fluid for the second and final time, correct?

Thanks
yes

Just checking back to see how your ride is running now? Hope all is good🙏

·
Premium Member
2013 Armada Platinum 8 passenger
64 Posts
Nice thread here. Interested in the outcome!

Your symptoms also sound similar to what they had in this thread:

Also, I've had really good luck with Valvoline Maxlife Atf. It's sold at Walmart for about $25 for 5 quarts. I do a drain and fill or 2 on my pathfinder every year due to the abuse from pulling our travel trailer. 230k miles and still going strong!

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Nice thread here. Interesed in the outcome!

Your symptoms also sound similar to what they had in this thread:

Also, I've had really good luck with Valvoline Maxlife Atf. It's sold at Walmart for about $25 for 5 quarts. I do a drain and fill or 2 on my pathfinder every year due to the abuse from pulling our travel trailer. 230k miles and still going strong!
So do I @ Valvoline Maxlife ATF. I just can't get them where I'm from. So I have to stick with OEM Matic-S.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts