Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Armada with tow package. Recently purchased. I had some trouble towing a trailer up some steep grades mid summer with 36 degree temps. The vehicle would start sputtering and would not get any acceleration up the hill. No engine lights and no codes thrown. I would wait for an hour and it would run fine. Runs great with out any load. Did a bunch of research and concluded (I may be wrong) that the tranny was getting to hot and it was going into protection mode.Checked the tranny fluid and it seems OK. Wondering if anybody has any thoughts on what to try in order to fix it.

My 1st step is to do a flush and that has been a chore in itself finding parts (gasket and filter) and a compatible tranny oil. A nissan dealer told me that Armada does not have a tranny filter!? Other places have kits with filters and gaskets. 2nd I would add an addtional tranny cooler at the front of the vehicle before the rad (current one is behind rad and can't be seen) to help cool the fluid. I researched to find the the tranny also gets cooled by connecting to the rad as well.

Any thoughts on my issue? Any thoughts on best way to address it?

Thanks

Armada 2007

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 2007 Armada with tow package. Recently purchased. I had some trouble towing a trailer up some steep grades mid summer with 36 degree temps. The vehicle would start sputtering and would not get any acceleration up the hill. No engine lights and no codes thrown. I would wait for an hour and it would run fine. Runs great with out any load. Did a bunch of research and concluded (I may be wrong) that the tranny was getting to hot and it was going into protection mode.Checked the tranny fluid and it seems OK. Wondering if anybody has any thoughts on what to try in order to fix it.

My 1st step is to do a flush and that has been a chore in itself finding parts (gasket and filter) and a compatible tranny oil. A nissan dealer told me that Armada does not have a tranny filter!? Other places have kits with filters and gaskets. 2nd I would add an addtional tranny cooler at the front of the vehicle before the rad (current one is behind rad and can't be seen) to help cool the fluid. I researched to find the the tranny also gets cooled by connecting to the rad as well.

Any thoughts on my issue? Any thoughts on best way to address it?

Thanks

Armada 2007
Install a transmission oil cooler, ive actually got one right now waiting to get installed. Should help with temps alot.
Theres a few videos floating around the internet about this, not much helpful for installation though. Just search for "transmission radiator bypass" on google or on here. Should find some info about it.
I'll post how I hook everything up and what parts I used once I get around to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Install a transmission oil cooler, ive actually got one right now waiting to get installed. Should help with temps alot.
Theres a few videos floating around the internet about this, not much helpful for installation though. Just search for "transmission radiator bypass" on google or on here. Should find some info about it.
I'll post how I hook everything up and what parts I used once I get around to it.
Thanks for the reply. Are adding an addtional cooler at the front of the rad and adding it to the exiting collant loop or you replacing the existing one? What size cooer and where did you get it? Do you think that this is the issue? I would be unhappy spending more money to find out it did not fix the problem.

Thanks for the reply. Are adding an addtional cooler at the front of the rad and adding it to the exiting collant loop or you replacing the existing one? What size cooer and where did you get it? Do you think that this is the issue? I would be unhappy spending more money to find out it did not fix the problem.
You also have an Armada? What year?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got it from amazon, its 11" x 9", pretty small, heres the link, pretty cheap as well. https://a.co/d/28I0tPK
So basically by adding this, youre replacing the trans cooler that is part of the radiator, thats why I am doing it. The split radiator design isnt great, the split in the rad can break and cause coolant to get into the transmission and destroy it, but it apparently it cools much better than the oem cooler as well.
Since you are hauling when its overheating, im 90% sure that will fix it, ive seen a few titan guys with that same problem and this was the best solution. Might be a good idea to check your transmission oil also, you should have a dipstick in the engine bay if you have the tow package.
I will find some videos tonight and link them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got it from amazon, its 11" x 9", pretty small, heres the link, pretty cheap as well. https://a.co/d/28I0tPK
So basically by adding this, youre replacing the trans cooler that is part of the radiator, thats why I am doing it. The split radiator design isnt great, the split in the rad can break and cause coolant to get into the transmission and destroy it, but it apparently it cools much better than the oem cooler as well.
Since you are hauling when its overheating, im 90% sure that will fix it, ive seen a few titan guys with that same problem and this was the best solution. Might be a good idea to check your transmission oil also, you should have a dipstick in the engine bay if you have the tow package.
I will find some videos tonight and link them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Before you do anything, check your fan clutch to make sure it spins freely when engine is off. I have a 2014 mada with tow package that was acting very strange when accelerating or going up inclines. The engine sound and pitch would change beyond normal and the car would struggle to get up to speed never getting beyond 45-50mph. It acted and sounded like a tranny torque converter issue or similar.
Took to dealer for diag and the Tech said the fan clutch behind the radiator was seizing up and placing undo drag/load on the engine preventing it from acheiving optimal rpms. Strangest thing I ever heard. Replaced fan clutch and everything was normal again. I was shocked. Just another data point...good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts