Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went by Auto Zone, they have Monroe Struts and Rear shocks for total $560.

Plan on installing them myself. Should I go Monroe? Rancho? Store brand?

Or pay a shop to install Bilstein for me?

Trying to keep this as budget as possible.

Currently struts have no air in them(what the shop told) and im requiring alignment every 3 months .

Any help would be awesome!

Plan on using this forum alot!~

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Buy the Bilsteins and install them yourself. They go in just like Monroes or the store brands.

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
I don't think there's any decent complete strut assemblies. For the best ride, pretty much everyone suggests the Bilsteins (it's what I used on the front). Most will just reuse the spring. Then you just need a new strut mount, insulator, and bushings.

I got:
Bilstein Strut - 24-197656 ($100ea)
Monroe Strut Mount - 907933 ($25ea)
Monroe Strut Insulator - 907932 ($12ea)
KYB Strut Bushings - SM5700 ($10ea)

It was about $150/strut, so $300 for both my fronts. Then the ~$70 for the alignment. I also replaced my sway bar bushings and I would've replaced my sway bar links, but I had replaced them about 8 months earlier.

I did the spring swap out myself (you can rent spring compressors from the part stores, although, I bought my own), but you can probably take them to a mechanic and have them swap springs or do the whole replacement if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. You will need an alignment afterwards.

Reactions: Jakuta

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
If you have a Napa auto parts store near you with the machine shop attached they will compress the springs for you for a modest fee.

But really, they are very easy to install, I've done lots and lots of them. Use the loan a tool program and save yourself some cash.
I'm sure there are a bunch of how-to videos on YouTube.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Depends on condition.
I reused mine as they were in great shape.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Can’t you reuse the mount or is that a no no?
They were relatively cheap and I figured it was worth going with all new at the time. I wasn't sure what the condition was going to be like when I took everything out and I ordered it all from Amazon before I started the project. Plus the vehicle was originally in New Jersey and now in Utah and both heavily salt roads, so I wanted the piece of mind knowing that it was all new.

At a minimum, I would replace the bushings and probably the insulator. If they go bad, it can lead to clunks, which I was trying to get rid of.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts