Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IM HAVING AN ISSUE WITH MY HEAT. IT WON'T GET HOT. THE AC WORKS & WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS TO SAVE MONEY........?

·
Super Moderator
5,977 Posts
please do not use CAPS on the forum as this suggests you are yelling.

there are threads on this here in the subforum. you may have an issue with your radiator or heater core or other components.

·
Registered
12 Posts

At location 2:18 in this video, is exactly what the problem was with my 2011 Armada. I put some plastic tubing on there to force it to stay back as designed and I've had heat all this winter!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've seen where you can manually open the heater control valve for heat...is there a problem with just leaving it in the open position all the time? Now I can go back and forth from hot to cold on my A/C thermostat just like normal...

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I've seen where you can manually open the heater control valve for heat...is there a problem with just leaving it in the open position all the time? Now I can go back and forth from hot to cold on my A/C thermostat just like normal...
Has/is your vehicle displaying any OBD error "MIL" lights? If not then it shouldn't matter. From a personal stand point... as long as it's working for your "The owner" it's all Okay. It may fail a function test when you take to the dealer and they hook up their diagnostic equipment, but that's it. One benefit I see of leaving it open is... you are adding an extra cooling capacity for your engine. Especially on those hot summer days.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Toname no error messages and everything works fine...ice cold A/C and then turn thermostat up and then presto, hot air! Just couldn't figure out the point of the heater valve...i.e. what's the point of ever having the valve in the closed position since everything (heat and cold) works when valve is manual turned to open position...in fact I didnt even put the cover back on the valve box, just removed the tiny plastic gears and left it open...

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Toname no error messages and everything works fine...ice cold A/C and then turn thermostat up and then presto, hot air! Just couldn't figure out the point of the heater valve...i.e. what's the point of ever having the valve in the closed position since everything (heat and cold) works when valve is manual turned to open position...in fact I didnt even put the cover back on the valve box, just removed the tiny plastic gears and left it open...
I understand what you are saying. If everything works good for you. Just keep in mind what changes you have made. Should something out of the ordinary pop up on your cooling system or HVAC. Just curious... did you notice a little drop in your engine temperature gage?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I understand what you are saying. If everything works good for you. Just keep in mind what changes you have made. Should something out of the ordinary pop up on your cooling system or HVAC. Just curious... did you notice a little drop in your engine temperature gage?
Haven't monitored Engine Temp, but I'll keep an eye on it to see if i notice any changes.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Hi, guys. Haven't been around for a while, but saw this post. FYI, this is how I drove my 2012 Armada for almost 3 years (with the bypass valve "bypassed"). All that valve does is preclude the coolant from entering the system for the rear HVAC until a certain temperature is reached in the system. This is so that the coolant and the engine heats up quicker, thereby reducing emissions. In extremely cold temperatures, it will increase the amount of time that it takes your truck to warm up, so it will take a bit longer to get hot air out of the vents.

This part is relatively easy to replace, and doesn't cost much to buy (<$100 at RockAuto). I was just too lazy to make the change myself. I had actually bought the part (I paid $180 for a OEM one from Nissan), while we were on a trip to a cold area, with the thought of just replacing the "guts". However, when I took the new one apart, Nissan had completely changed the design, and the innards weren't swappable. So I just opened the valve, and put the cover back on. I just gave the part to one of the members here a few months ago.

Keith

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, guys. Haven't been around for a while, but saw this post. FYI, this is how I drove my 2012 Armada for almost 3 years (with the bypass valve "bypassed"). All that valve does is preclude the coolant from entering the system for the rear HVAC until a certain temperature is reached in the system. This is so that the coolant and the engine heats up quicker, thereby reducing emissions. In extremely cold temperatures, it will increase the amount of time that it takes your truck to warm up, so it will take a bit longer to get hot air out of the vents.

This part is relatively easy to replace, and doesn't cost much to buy (<$100 at RockAuto). I was just too lazy to make the change myself. I had actually bought the part (I paid $180 for a OEM one from Nissan), while we were on a trip to a cold area, with the thought of just replacing the "guts". However, when I took the new one apart, Nissan had completely changed the design, and the innards weren't swappable. So I just opened the valve, and put the cover back on. I just gave the part to one of the members here a few months ago.

Keith
Keith, thanks for chiming in. I've priced replacement HCV units on RockAuto, not bad at all. Was just looking for a quick fix for a recent ski trip we took. 10 months a year we use the A/C (Southeast Texas heat!), but for those winter road trips wife demanded heat (the seat warmers weren't enough!). I'm fine with just seeing how long it will last like this and deal with replacement down the road if needed.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Keith, thanks for chiming in. I've priced replacement HCV units on RockAuto, not bad at all. Was just looking for a quick fix for a recent ski trip we took. 10 months a year we use the A/C (Southeast Texas heat!), but for those winter road trips wife demanded heat (the seat warmers weren't enough!). I'm fine with just seeing how long it will last like this and deal with replacement down the road if needed.
This was exactly our scenario....we live in Southern California, and the truck was parked indoors, so rarely did we need much in the way of heat. But, we were on a trip in Utah, and it was below zero. The heater would not heat the cabin at all. I suspected the bypass valve, and when I opened up the unit, the little cogged wheel fell out. So, I turned the valve to bypass it, and voila, my wife was happy (and so was I). When we got home, I figured I'd buy the part, then swap the guts. That didn't work, as the guts were different (Nissan had upgraded the design to address this common failure). I didn't feel like going to the trouble of swapping the whole part out right then, so put it on the shelf to do later. Three years after that, and I sold the truck, and I still hadn't replaced it. Thought about leaving the part in the truck for the new owner, but since we sold it to Carvana, I figured it would just get thrown away, so offered it to the forum for the cost of shipping, and somebody took it.

Keith

1 - 13 of 13 Posts