Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
New to the forum but have a few questions
Vehicle: 2010 nissan armada
Trim: platinum
Engine 5.6

What happened: So I had a transmission slip the other day slipped approx.: 4 times within 100 mile drive while in 4 wheel drive driving in a bunch of snow and ice.

The following day I started it up and the check engine light came on I took it to advanced and had the code read and he just simply showed me the message that read "tcm lost communication" he didn't tell me the code so I am going to go tomorrow and get it re read and pull the code.

So the kicker to this is since then I have put approx.: 150 miles on it and no slips or anything that I have noticed with the transmission but I didn't have it in 4x4 but 2 wheel drive. (Not sure if this makes a difference or not)

I checked the transmission fluid it's Def. Not red as it should be. More of a light brown color so that obviously needs attention at the least.

I called a few shops and they had a few different opinions:
1) bring it In to run more diagnostics but he said if it's not doing it now he would likely reset it and move on unless it persisted then bring it in and he'd do a transmission shop.

2) another shop wanted to look at it but said the tcm of this year is internal and they suggested replacing whole transmission with a used one for $2700 they had one on the shelf with 65k miles.

My question is. Has anyone ever experienced this and what was the outcome? Or any suggestions on what is going on with this?

I'll repost with the error codes once I have them.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mlaba1, do you have an update on this? I'm in a similar situation that may have started with 4wd though not with obvious slip and only with minor snow/ice/mud. I was recommended by the local shop to take it to the dealer as the TCM is internal to the transmission. He said he would've referred me to the local transmission shop but they don't usually work on nissans.
I have 133k on my 2010 Platinum and the battery is a little over 3 years old; it's an autocraft gold 24F-6, 700cca. I've been reading (dangerous I know) some things that indicate that batteries and electrical connections can sometimes be the culprit. I'm considering just replacing the battery potentially with an Odyssey 34R in hopes the issue is an electrical gremlin.
These are the codes I have or had recently: P1824, P1819, P1731, P0456, U1000. One of those is just a small evap leak which is a minor repair that I'm waiting on until I resolve the potentially bigger/costlier issue that appear to be contained in the other codes.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the only update I can share was summer came all codes self cleared and I haven't used 4x4 unless where needed at either boat ramp or backyard hauling trailer around other then that no other issues and took a 5400 lb boat on a 5 hour hike there and back through the mountains of Southern Ohio without any further incident... the one thing I can say is since I've owned this car a lot of electrical codes pop but then self clear... not sure what to think of it to be honest.

·
Registered
2 Posts
did you get the codes checked? The computer will archive them; mine self cleared as well but two still showed up as current and a few as older (at the parts store a few weeks ago all were current, I believe). Also, how many miles do you have on the Armada?

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
160k and yes shop said they'd replace transmission I said I don't think so.
You mentioned the tranny fluid was not a good red - did you end up doing drains and refills? I’ve got 146k on my 2007 LE 4x4 and haven’t done any fluid swaps but feel I should be doing as a preventive measure.

I’m afraid though to introduce problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts