Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had the woodpecker sound in the center of the dash of my 2010 SE for a few months, then a few days ago the woodpecker went away and now only heat comes out of the driver side vents, even when I set it to AC. Cold air still comes out of the passenger and rear vents. Pretty sure that the driver side air mix door motor broke in the hot position. And that's the one that's really hard to get to.

I see that Nissan issued a recall on the passenger air mix door motor for 2010 Armadas, which is easy to get to, but not for the driver side motor:
https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/latest-uploads/19278-ntb11-040a-campaign.html?

Are the driver and passenger side air mix door motors the same part? If so, I might be able to make a case for free replacement of the driver side motor as well since if Nissan is admitting there is a problem with the passenger side part then it would also imply the same problem with the driver side part.

Incidentally, does anyone know if the replacement part that Nissan is using now is better quality than the original part? Or is this thing going to keep breaking?

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
LAVA

FYI you will need a 5.5mm wrench and tie a shoe string or something like that to it. If you drop it back there it is now a donation to Infiniti gods!! One screw is right against the firewall, they really crammed the stuff in there.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

This seems to be the best video I've found about how to swap it without completely taking the dash apart:

It's a 2004 Titan in the video, but if you compare the layout to a 2010 Armada it's exactly the same as it applies to that top air mix actuator:

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another update:

Turns out there was also a recall on the driver side air mix actuator, and it applies to 2004-2011 Armadas. It's NTB11-048:
https://www.tsbsearch.com/Nissan/NTB11-048

I thought it was a slam dunk for me, so I called the dealership. Unfortunately the guy who owned the vehicle before me already had this done in 2011, so they won't do it again for free. Dang.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
I know this is a older post but i am getting confused. My 2010 does the woodpecker noise when I adjust the temp from heat to cold normally. Also currently I have A/C on the driver side but blows hot on the passenger side. can anyone help me with this? Am I looking at two actuators acting up or is this both the same actuator?

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
yea i think the hot to cold is one actuator, the one on top just right of center dash. But just incase listen for the noise, is it by your drivers leg? Or just right of center about even with the top of glove box? Or down on passenger side by leg? Here is a diagram link and part numbers ok.
Cooling unit diag.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
In others words your saying the hardest one to reach right 🤣, it can never just be the easy on by the passenger feet.

Thank you very much for the diagram.

Well I ordered the actuator. Does anybody have a good source for how to take the dash/center stack apart to get to the center actuator? Really don’t want a bush of dash rattles after its done.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
I am at a loss. My Armada was blowing cold from driver side and hot from passenger side. I replaced the actuator that was on top up on the firewall. My son helped me big time. Put it back together and it does the same thing. I am at a loss. Did I replace the wrong one?

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
That is the right one as it controls the temp. Either when you put the new one on you missed the white arm that connects to a swing slot ( called a CAM plate in the video up above). Or a long shot is internal damage of the damper doors. Or by just shear back luck do you have the controls set to dual? Showing one temp on the left bottom corner of screen and another temp on t he right? Other then that i am sorry i cant think of any other ideas.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Well here the run down. I purchased a new actuator and we are leaving Monday for a camping trip. So my wife has been getting hot air on the passenger side for probably a couple months now. Wasn’t so bad in the cold weather but obviously different now. Wat he’d a couple videos and went to work. Got the radio out and glove box and related items torn down pretty quickly. My hands were too fat to fit up there. So I took the lid off the heater core. Now I could get my hand up there but I want much use.

Called the wife in and she got a couple of them out. Forgot I needed a 5.5 mm wrench. So off I went to get one. 5 stores later and 2 hrs of my time I get back. Called my 12 y/o son and told him I needed his skinny arm. He did a great job. Had all 3 bolts/screws out in no time. Get the old one out, install new and went to try it out and it didn’t work. Still blowing hot air on the passenger. Took apart again thinking maybe I the bumped the arms out of track. I put it together again. My sons was so good. Tested again still no go. So I got out the factory manual and it says the one down my the feet control the passenger. So I pulled down that one and put the old in it and tested it. It moved. So I stole the motor out of one unit and put into the one with no broke teeth and it works like a champ now.

Anyways I am thinking I had two bad actuators and didn’t know it. Works like a champ now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts