Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I turn into my driveway or any other place where it puts the front wheel lower than the rear wheel I hear a pop/squeek/screech. I can't tell where it's coming from. Can you help pinpoint where I need to look to solve it? When it pops I can feel it under my left foot on the driver side footwell. Here's a video of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cv joint/axle? does it happen only when you turn?
Yes, but only when the vehicle is flexed/articulated/tilted such as turning up an incline where the left front wheel while turned is pushed up and the left rear would be more suspended and the right rear pushed up right front more suspended. Driving normal and turning on level surface no noise. Only when suspension is flexed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

Here's a longer video. Try not to get dizzy sorry just listen for the creaking sound. Also noticed if I change directions such as backing up after moving forward then stop and move the steering wheel real quick left or right it will pop. I've crawled underneath and lubed everything and checked for loose bolts but everything is tight and looks good. Any ideas? Steering rack & pinion maybe??

The rack and pinion looks to be in good shape with no leaks. I'm thinking the mounting bolts may be loose or the bushings for those bolts may be bad. How do I get to these to check which bolts are they? What's the torque spec? It's 4x4.

I took the sway bar off but it still does it so it’s not that. Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
There is a support/cross beam that bolts onto each side of the chassis. Two bolts on each side and the rear main flange of the front differential just hangs over it. Nothing else is bolted onto this cross beam. Loosen and tighten the bolts; IIRC, 19mm but I can't recall the torque specs. I do remember back when I had my 04, I had removed this when I went to drop the front diff and I didn't bolt it back on tight enough. It was making noises similar to what I just saw on your video.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Looks like mine are 17 mm but I can’t find the torque specs anywhere. Anyone know?

Ok I'm stumped. I found the torque specs 96 ft/lbs for the cross member. I've checked the shock bolts, the steering rack bolts, the body mounts, taken the sway bar off and reinstalled (one of the bolts won't torque to spec) but the other 3 did so hopefully that will be ok. It stripped and I rethreaded it but it won't completely tighten down. Any other ideas?? The body mounts and the cross member bolts were loose but tightening those didn't solve the pop. Instead of a creaking then a pop I just have a pop now.

I've now replaced the tie rod ends but the pop when flexed still exists. Is there anything I should address toward the center or rear of the vehicle?

Again turning into a driveway at an angle where it flexes then it pops. I can also seem to do it if I move a little bit front or back then quickly turn the steering wheel to the left or right while stopped.

I feel it under the front drivers side floor board.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts