Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Platinum 2wd Navy over Black leather
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read there is air suspension on some trims. How do I know if I have that? Is it located in the VIN somewhere?

·
Super Moderator
5,698 Posts
look under your rear drivers side tire. you should see an air pump. if you do, you got it.

yes you can call any nissan dealer, give them your vin, and they will tell you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, yes I see that I have a compressor. So next question is i see that a lot of people have replaced theirs with Bilstien and Moog. If mine is driving ok, what advantage would I get from changing out? Its the wife's daily & kid hauler..

·
Super Moderator
5,698 Posts
over the years many of the people have changed them out because of an issue with something on the air system or they wanted some other feature/performance the factory setup did not have, and rather than go back to oem they opt to spend the extra coin for the aftermarket solutions. many went with bilstein over the years.

that said. if it ain't broke, dont fix it! ive hd 3 nissan vehicles (2 armadas and one qx) and never had any issues with the air ride system.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it seems to ride ok. I did notice the front end squeaking going over some bumps in our neighborhood. I may do the Bilstien Moog up front. I think I read that right, you can use those up there? I have no idea how to tell if the springs are actually bad. Would the squeaking be the spring or strut?

·
Super Moderator
5,698 Posts
yeah you can put the bilsteins up front. i actually replaced the fronts on my 2008 and they were really worth it.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Yeah, it seems to ride ok. I did notice the front end squeaking going over some bumps in our neighborhood. I may do the Bilstien Moog up front. I think I read that right, you can use those up there? I have no idea how to tell if the springs are actually bad. Would the squeaking be the spring or strut?
Unless you have a ton of miles on a vehicle springs don't typically go "bad". They can weaken over time and of course break. A broken spring is fairly easy to diagnose.

People change the springs to ensure compatibility with the new shocks, not because they are expected to be bad.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My rears were shot at 140k, but that was due to bags being blown and weighed down.... Fronts still holding strong.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did I read correctly elsewhere that measuring the gap from top of tire to fender well when cold, undriven, and then after driving for a bit would tell me if the air ride is shot?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts